Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Syshigher

Which game mode do you play/like the most?

Hello all!

That's it! I want to know your game mode preferences: Free For All (FFA), Player versus Player (1-on-1), Capture The Flag (CTF), Single-Player (SP), Invasion...? Comment! ;)

Thanks in advance!

I go both ways.

EDIT: I like both gameplay modes and it really just depends what type of mood I'm in.

1-on-1 is great. FFA can be fun but tends to be an inferior "for the heck of it" spamfest, instead of a solid competition.

Krispavera said:

I like both gameplay modes and it really just depends what type of mood I'm in.

Same here. Even better if it's Instagib.

I usually just play FFA, however on rare occasions I'll play 1-on-1 on Dwango5 servers on Skulltag.

Edit: I also play Coop and survival.

One of the problems with 1-on-1 is the fact that there is only one opponent (duh!) This is less of a problem in games like Doom but in slower paced DM games where cover, footstep sounds and other factors come in to play (eg Medal of Honor) knowing that the guy who you are tracking down (and who you can possibly even see, or at least know where he is) is the only other guy on the field reduces the tension and fun significantly. Introduce just one other player and the chances of you getting caught out by a third party whilst you are concentrating on one guy is dramatically increased so you have to keep your wits about you far more.

My preferred game mode? Single player or coop. :P

About the tension factor you mention, in Doom you can't hear the opponent's pick-up sounds, which helps increase the tension, whereas in Boom and various ports you do, although various have an option to mute them specifically because players noted the game play difference.

In Quake, older pre-bunny hopping games were also arguably more tense than newer games where the players are somewhat faster but make a lot of noise hopping about.

One neat alternative for more players, still in deathmatch mode and which offers more strategy than FFA, is team play. Even the vanilla executable allows 2-vs-2, as the score of each player is listed against each other player (so you count any frags against your buddy in the negative sense.) Many source ports naturally allow more players per team.

Enjay said:

One of the problems with 1-on-1 is the fact that there is only one opponent (duh!) This is less of a problem in games like Doom but in slower paced DM games where cover, footstep sounds and other factors come in to play (eg Medal of Honor) knowing that the guy who you are tracking down (and who you can possibly even see, or at least know where he is) is the only other guy on the field reduces the tension and fun significantly.

How about Gothic DM and other arena styled maps?

I definitely prefer dealing with many targets at a time instead of just one. I don't have the attention span to focus all my attention on one individual person. I handle players the same way I handle monsters, which ever one is capable of dying the soonest.

DuckReconMajor said:

^

<3 team deathmatch. No one plays it though.

i would. but noone else will, unless it's GvH which is pretty mediocore.

Duel is by far the more interesting of the two, in my opinion. The weapons in Doom are pretty powerful, and with tons of players FFA degenerates into chaos (Rocket Spamming, Plasma spamming, BFG spamming). You have to be careful with those weapons in duel or else you can leave yourself quite vulnerable when your opponent dodges them and strafes up beside you with a SSG.

Out of those two choices, I prefer FFA. In general I like Team DM. Overall I prefer Coop more than anything else, multiplayer wise.

Does Invasion count?

I always liked the idea of a group of people playing against waves of computer controlled enemies. Thus, Invasion gametypes have always been my preference.

Well, no. But let's include the others modes, this topic is getting more interesting in this way.

I second that! :)

Cooler than cooperative, since coop wads are maps with a big amount of monsters, there's only: shoot, open the door, get the key, repeat (a little boring for a coop wad). There is single-player for this, yay!

myk said:

1-on-1 is great. FFA can be fun but tends to be an inferior "for the heck of it" spamfest, instead of a solid competition.

Single Player, any day.

Though of the new modes I really liked Invasion, even though it seems hard to make REALLY good invasion maps.

Single Player Co-Op and team DM yet as others have claimed the team games seem to be gone now and i am finding it hard to enjoy a co-op game As well these days