Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

doomworld flash ads

I use Internet Explorer 8 because Firefox takes way too long to load and makes my computer way too slow. This comp is a Pentium4 3.20GHz 512MB RAM.

Sometimes my computer gets really slow and it takes like a minute to respond, when I'm using IE8. This started happening a couple weeks ago and I came to the conclusion that it has to do with Flash. When I disable flash, there are never problems. When I enable flash, it happens sometimes. I think some of ads at doomworld use flash in some way, because it always eventually happens while I'm visiting the doomworld forums (like, certain ads use flash and my computer just dies when they load and I can't do anything except restart or wait a few minutes for the task manager to appear and exit IE). It doesn't happen when I'm watching videos on youtube but it did happen one time on nhl.com on a page that uses lots of flash. The only constant that I've noticed is doomworld but I assume other sites use flash in a similar way.

Cool, thanks. I guess I'm still a forum noob and forgot to search. I tried it, restarted IE, enabled flash, and went to doomworld but I got the problem again after about 30 secs.
I put this in the hosts file

127.0.0.1 mediamgr.ugo.com

I'm not knowledgeable enough about this stuff to help probably. Maybe google: 'flash update'. Might be virus/spyware/botnet/rootkit caused. Maybe keep task manager open (ctrl alt delete) and see what seems to be hogging resources (but rootkits can hide themselves). I don't really know what I'm writing about.

That is somewhat odd. Usually ie slows my computer down more then firefox. Either way, you might want something besides Internet explorer, assuming you don't want your computer to get raped anyway.

Craigs said:

Usually ie slows my computer down more then firefox.

Firefox is getting fat. It's not the lightweight browser it used to be. That's one reason more and more people are moving to Chrome.

For me, while viewing the forums Firefox uses 130,000 K memory. When I open IE, it appears twice in the task manager and they both disappear when I close IE - one takes up 41,000 K the other takes up 18,000 K.

I tried viewing the forums with flash enabled with Firefox and it didn't make my computer mega slow, so I guess it's an IE flash thing (yet I can have like 10 tabs of youtube videos open and my computer's still usable).

DuckReconMajor said:
It's not the lightweight browser it used to be.

When was it ever lightweight?

Actually even Chrome can be quite heavy, and it does not always spawn multiple processes in order to avoid fragmentation. In particular, opening multiple pages from the same domain results in them being crammed on the same process by default, unless you manually force a new session -but then you can do the same with Firefox and IW 8.

About IE, it was 6 that was very lightweight. 7 and 8 are pachydermic in comparison.

I've said this before but, as a long term fan of Internet Explorer, IE8 is the reason that I now use Firefox.

Chrome is now out for linux, and it blows FF out of the water in terms of memory usage and speed. I'm on a 1 GHz Athlon MP and I can really tell when there's a well-written program as opposed to a shittily-written one.

MikeRS said:

I dislike it because it really poorly integrates into my desktop. It's so out of place.

then you really , really , REALLY must hate windows products, which have been known to have unique themes for each component.

TimeOfDeath said:
Firefox takes way too long to load and makes my computer way too slow. This comp is a Pentium4 3.20GHz 512MB RAM.

Strange... while it's true it takes a few seconds to start, once Firefox 3.5 is up it has no negative performance effects on my system which is only a 666 MHz Celeron running Windows 98 with half as much RAM as yours. It's definitely less of a resource hog and more stable than Firefox 2 was, especially when opening many tabs. Maybe if your past experience is based on FF2...

Here's a random idea that won't work: start/settings/control panel/user accounts. make new user account w/ administrative privileges. see if it happens in that user account.
also try getting/updating/running avast or spybot antivirus and spyware blaster. And a firewall maybe.

myk said:

Strange... while it's true it takes a few seconds to start, once Firefox 3.5 is up it has no negative performance effects on my system which is only a 666 MHz Celeron running Windows 98 with half as much RAM as yours. It's definitely less of a resource hog and more stable than Firefox 2 was, especially when opening many tabs. Maybe if your past experience is based on FF2...

Firefox 3.5.5 takes 5-10 seconds to open a tab on my system, even if I've just opened the browser and only have one tab open. It ran decently fast when I did a system restore and 3.5 came out but now it's back to being slow.

I have Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz, 2 GB RAM running Vista Business 32-bit. My past experience is based on FF3.

Chrome works just fine, even with 20+ tabs open.

Five to ten seconds to open an empty tab or to load a webpage on a tab?

On my system Firefox is only a bit slower than Internet Explorer 6, as far as loading content-heavy pages is concerned.

Chrome doesn't work, demonic powers notwithstanding :p

Firefox - nearly any version - is pretty much unusable on my old laptop (600 Mhz P3, 128 MB of RAM, Win XP). Opera's the only browser that will work without chugging the hard drive to death ever time I scroll the page.

On my Win 7 desktop, though, it's never run smoother. Lightning fast, even when I accidentally middle-click on my "Games" folder on the bookmarks toolbar and end up opening 20-some tabs.

The problem with all these testimonies is that they often only tell half truths and miss the bigger picture. E.g. myk specified that he's using Windows 98 (so that changes the cards on the table quite a bit).

Among those using XP, it's no good to have 512 MB and a 3.2 GHz processor if there's so much stuff loading at startup that with an idle computer there are like 45-50 processes at any given time. Even with a "normal" number of processes for the CPU and RAM at hand, there can be major differences between different service pack levels of XP etc. etc.

There can even be major differences between cache sizes, so where one user surfs fast, another one has to load everything from scratch.

I'd personally call FF's performance "typical" for a modern software, but some features like e.g. text search in surf history can slow down to a crawl with large history databases. I ended up deleting mine because it was impossible to type anything in the search bar without grinding the hard disk (Athlon64 3200+, 1 GB).

Now, if I were to pick a "modern" browser based on pure, absolute being lightweight, I'd go with IE 6: on an extremely low-spec XP machine (Pentium 200 MHz, 64 MB but also K6-233 256 MB) IE6 was the only one usable with more than one window. IE7 and Firefox were also usable, but only if limited to 1 tab (especially with 64 MB). Didn't check how FF would work on Damn Small Linux at the same specs, though.

Yeah, I should probably do a virus scan soon, it's been a while.
When I did the Firefox tests I tried updating through FF's menu, but I think it only updated to 3.0.5 or something. I went to their website and got the latest version and it does look like it's better than the version I did the first tests with.

I opened the same 3 videos in each browser and let them all finish loading. I tried playing one video in one browser (until it finished playing) to check the CPU usage and then tried the same video in the other browser. Firefox also used more CPU.