Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enjay

The Zombieman has a hole in his ass

and not the one he would need for biological purposes... assuming zombies still have a need for that kind thing.

Aaaanyway, I don't recall this being mentioned before so, in the interests of ensuring that Doomworld has all the "valuable" threads about Doom anomalies, I present to you the Zombieman's missing pixel.

Sprite image POSSD4D6 has a transparent pixel that, every now and again, I notice in game and think to myself "I should mention that". So, I'm mentioning it.

So, here it is. You can see the green tek wall through his ass.

And this is why

and whilst I am here, I may as well mention the off-magenta pixels between the Nazi's legs in SSWVF0 which, I think, may even have been present in Wolfenstein.

Presumably they are resizing artefacts from a magenta background that were missed out when the image was being cleaned up.

I've not noticed either of these, although I was aware of the Wolfenstien one.

While i noticed the Wolfenstein one, i didn't notice the Zombieman one. It's also worth noticing that it doesn't happen to shotgun guy.

I hadn't noticed the missing pixel, but yeah. It's not too easy to catch because it's on one of the walking frames.

Considering that the last color index in the Wolfenstein palette is magenta, the SS glitch has made me suspect that id used the last color as the background in either game, while editing, which also explains why it's not present in the DOOM game resources and only on the devparm FPS meter.

They probably used a recolor tool for the background, but the small section between the legs was missed due to being isolated and surrounded by blue pixels, when the rest was selected.

Those pixels there seem to explain why the dimensions of the image exceed the size of the graphic, to the left.

Unusual pixels outside the image you say? I hadn't noticed the revenant, but these have been bugging me for a while - a row of pixels at the top of BEASI5 (difficult to see on the dark Doomworld blue).

These, from Strife, however, are interesting because (as far as I can tell) the little pixel just visible in the bottom left of each frame actually has a purpose. This log sits in water and Strife, like Heretic and Hexen, uses "floorclipping" to clip off the bottom of sprites that are in water. Extending the sprites in this way ensures that the bit you are meant to see, the log, is visible in game.

However, they didn't do anything similar for the little ball of "white water" spray that they placed at the bottom of waterfalls so you don't see them in the original EXE (though Zdoom fixes this - not sure about other ports).

Enjay said:

Wolfenstein.

Wolfenstein did you say?

Stray magenta pixels ahoy but, interestingly, the graphic that has them in Doom2 does not have them in the original Wolf.

Creaphis said:

I don't see it. What are we looking for?

the very top line of pixles are a dark blue rather than cyan. Hard to see against the forums background.

Creaphis said:

They have moved right part of the jaw bone one pixel unit to the right in the sprite and left a black line of pixels. It's more obvious in game than in the cyan saturated sprite.

I've noticed the revenant a couple times. I haven't seen any of the other stuff in this thread. But another thing that really bothers me is how some of the Chaingun guy's firing stances aren't aligned, and thus he twitches a lot between the two repeating firing frames.

Also I located a hole in the patch RW33_3. It's the METALx texture with the pipes. Apparently it should be possible to use it as a middle texture and see through a little peephole.

Heh, you know, for all I've played and edited Heretic the last 15 years, I can't say I've ever seen the weredragon glitch even once.

Enjay said:

Wolfenstein did you say?

Stray magenta pixels ahoy

There's also a stray magenta pixel in SSWVB4 in Doom 2, under his left elbow.

andrewj said:

One of the skies has a hole too, let me see..... yeah SKY2 of DOOM2, near (134,60).

And SKY1 in Doom is messed up. It is correctly defined as a 256x128 texture: same size as the patch it contains, but the patch has a Y offset of -8. Though, of course, that's a problem with the TEXTURE1 lump rather than the graphic itself.

Enjay said:

Though, of course, that's a problem with the TEXTURE1 lump rather than the graphic itself.

Same (except it's in TEXTURE2 instead) with BIGDOOR7 (the wooden one with all the skulls, first seen in E3M1). In fact, there's code in ZDoom to handle both these textures (void FMultiPatchTexture::CheckForHacks ()). It also fixes the Heretic skies, which are 200 pixel tall but the TEXTUREx lumps claim they're just 128 pixel tall.

Enjay said:

And SKY1 in Doom is messed up. It is correctly defined as a 256x128 texture: same size as the patch it contains, but the patch has a Y offset of -8. Though, of course, that's a problem with the TEXTURE1 lump rather than the graphic itself.

Worse is that many PWAD stupidy copy this bug and potentially screwing themselves if the sky can not be recognized properly anymore.

40oz said:

I've noticed the revenant a couple times. I haven't seen any of the other stuff in this thread. But another thing that really bothers me is how some of the Chaingun guy's firing stances aren't aligned, and thus he twitches a lot between the two repeating firing frames.

The frames he is diagonally firing with the gun more visible to the player and another angle.

Gez said:

It also fixes the Heretic skies, which are 200 pixel tall but the TEXTUREx lumps claim they're just 128 pixel tall.

This isn't a mistake in Heretic though. It's just the way that tall skies are dealt with. Legacy does it the same way. (Even before they added Heretic support)

kristus said:

They have moved right part of the jaw bone one pixel unit to the right in the sprite and left a black line of pixels. It's more obvious in game than in the cyan saturated sprite.

now i feel incredibly stupid.

kristus said:

This isn't a mistake in Heretic though. It's just the way that tall skies are dealt with.

Maybe, but it's weird, counter-intuitive, and hacky. A texture shouldn't be greater than it is just because it's a sky and there's more room available in the patch.

In DOOM mid-masked textures can have patches higher than their texture definition. For example, the railing texture in Aliens TC (REDWALL) has a 200-tall patch, but the texture is only 128 high. For OpenGL ports this is a real pain to handle.

I can safely say I've never taken the time to check out the Zombieman's ass or the pink pixels between a Nazi's legs.

That Strife water stuff is rad tho. I never noticed the difference from DOS to ZDoom water spray, though it's been a long time since I played the Strife demo.

andrewj said:

For example, the railing texture in Aliens TC (REDWALL) has a 200-tall patch, but the texture is only 128 high. For OpenGL ports this is a real pain to handle.

A few years ago I made my own edited version of the TC and that texture confused the hell out of me for a while.

Creaphis said:

pixels. these pixels are not the pixels you are looking for. move along.