Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azureace

Whats your Doom Origin?

I got into DOOM when my friend Josh installed the shareware version, and then later the registered version of Ultimate and the infamous pirate version of DOOM II onto my computer. (Just so you know, my current copies are legit, which I got from the Depths of Doom pack). This was in 1996, during my sophomore year of high school.

By 1997 I had found the Usenet groups, and shortly thereafter, the Doom-related IRC channel #doom2 on Efnet. Eternity Total Conversion was started by Josh and I that year as a relatively modest project at the start (it was just meant to be a single-episode affair for Ultimate Doom).

Probably my first successful contribution to the community was as a beta tester for Lee Killough on MBF. This was what inspired me to start programming in earnest. The rest is, as they say, history.

I got my first copy of Doom from a junk shop down in Chinatown. They must have gone out of business pretty quick because the next week there was nothing in that lot but grass and a hobo. The clerk muttered something or other about a "demon curse" but I don't think it was important.

I got into Doom a little late, when Doom Collectors Edition came out. Heres my dramatacally enhanced, but true story. Before Doom, my favorite game to play was Blake Stone (which I still occationally play through)

It was a dark afternoon. I flew like a shadow through the crisp November air, to the local Best Buy in the mall. Little did I know this was the day I would truely find the greatest game in the world.

There it was, Doom Collector's Edition sitting lonely on a cold metal shelf. I picked it up. I read the description on the back, and I wanted it. That night I played through two episodes of the Ultimate Doom, and that was it. I was hooked on Doom. I disappeared into my room for the next week and beat Doom, Doom2, and all of Final Doom.

I remember when me and my dad went too a comp shop for some reason, I think he was buying ram or something I dont know I was too young to remember, but I remember walking through the store then looking down one of the aisles with like a row of comps. This one comp all kinds of people where all huddled around, so me and my dad went over there. The guy that was playing was blasting some demons. I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen, then that very same week my dad came home from work with the D00M shareware version. He installed it and let me play it first, I got too E1M3 then he told me to get off, it was his turn lol. I still remember waking up on saturday morning hearing the moans of the pinky's and I would go in the room and watch my dad play it all day long. The day he brought home Quake was another life changing event as well.

That is the moment that my life changed forever, when I die I want a shareware doom disc buried with me!

My friend had a shiny new Compaq pc with Windows 95 installed. He also had one of those all to common at the time shareware compilation disks which happened to house Doom. I don't think we ever got the sound effects to work on it but I was mesmerized non the same. I never put the game down since.

Also, my dad used to play Doom with his co-workers at his office in '96. They upgraded all the computers at his office to Windows 95, and they all used to play Deathmatch during their lunch. I still have an original Doom 95 installation Disc.

My dad installed Wolfenstein and Doom shareware on his work laptop, a Texas Instruments P1 133. (I notice a lot of peoples have to do with their father :P) Top of the line and probably stupid expensive at the time. I don't think it even had real sound and Doom used the internal speaker, which is awesome. My dad also bought Final Doom later. We didn't have internet at the time. Another random memory I have is being on vacation in Maine and I was in a store staring at Doom II (because I didn't have it). Some kid came up to me and said something like 'you can become invincible in that game by typing iddqd'. I memorized it the rest of the week until we got home so I could try it.

We didn't get internet until much later, probably 01 or 02 (Depraved childhood I know). 56k too. I ran into ZDoom and Deepsea and eventually Doomworld in 2004 and thought 'wtf people still play this game? AWESOME'. ;D

I remember seeing Doom II when my parents and I got our first computer. Boxed copies of it were sitting in a cardboard display with that Cyberdemon looming above menancingly. I eventually got the shareware version of Doom 1 just after Christmas of that year and played it for a good eight months afterwards. I eventually bought Ultimate Doom and Doom II later on and have played it on and off over the years. When I came here, I found out about source ports, pwads and DECORATE. For me, the first two Doom games have had the longest replay value and I'm grateful for that Cyberdemon in pointing the way.

My dad got the Ultimate doom a loooong time ago and I saw him playing it a little, and played a little myself. Then a friend of mine or his dad was playing it when I went over one day and I saw it. I didn't really get into it until a year or two ago, when I randomly saw this site and started downloading stuff, all doom 1 pwads as I didn't have doom2 yet. The fun days of doomsday, as I didn't know of any other ports ... Then I finally broke down and bought doom 2 OFF THE ID SITE FOR $20. It's payed me back in full and much more, and I've only had it maybe a year, if that. And so continues my quest to make and play the best doom maps I can and generally ignore modern 'normal' life ;)

This freakin calls for some good elevator music, everyone grab a beer, and start reminiscing those days and nights walking through the corridors of hell!!!!!

Back in 1998 my dad had to go and work in Paris, before this we had been really properly poor and hadn't even considered owning a PC, but I was young so I didnt really notice or care. On the works computer (running wondows 95) in Paris, Dad first saw Doom and was amazed by it. He couldn't believe how the monsters would od something different each play through and seemingly react to what you do. The computer had Doom 2 and some custom wads on it (although dad didnt realise at the time) and he used to play between durning his night shifts when he was waiting for a plane to arrive.
About 6 months later we got our first PC running Windows 98, and dad got Doom and Doom2. About a year later (after agonising over it with my mum who did - and still does - hate violent video games) on a non pupil day where I was off of school but my little brother wasn't Dad let me play Doom for the first time.
The first game we loaded up was Doom 1 and we played through Episode 1 (using the only cheat he could remember, IDKFA) and I loved it. We then played through to MAP 05 of Doom 2 and then left it. After that, every nonpupil day I would badger my dad to let me play Doom, I was hooked.
After about a year my parents gave up and let both me and my little brother play Doom. My brother was too scared to play it without IDDQD on and played through it numerous times, but got really really good. He couln't even bare to watch me or dad play without IDDQD. About a year or two later my dad realised just how good he was and before bed time used to let him play on the computer (usually forbidden after tea time) but only if he didnt use IDDQD and we were amazed at how good he was.
When my dad was going on about these 'other levels' which he had played (including one looking like a wedding between a demon and a cacodemon and another set in a quarry with an arch vile) I didn't believe him that there could be other levels. It was only about 2006 when I found out about Doomworld and Custom wads but it has completly refreshed the doom experience for me.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

The year is 1994. Fisk's dad sits him in his lap and guides him through the default controls for a mysterious game called "Doom". Fisk's dad sets him on a new game in Episode 3: Inferno, on I'm Too Young To Die. Fisk stands triumphant over a dead imp, only to be killed by another from behind.

The year is 1996. Fisk's dad sets him down with a laptop (a Pentium 133 with 16MB RAM and a 700MB hard drive or so). Fisk's dad points to a folder on his desktop called "Doom". Fisk plays Episode 1 all the way through, spanning 4 daring nights filled with Dr. Pepper and nightmares about dying on E1M5.

Sadly, even though my father is a wretched person and I would love nothing better than for him to die slowly and painfully (and I mean every word), he did shape what would be the next 15 years of my life following that fateful December of '94. I've been mapping and playing pretty consistently ever since '96 (although I haven't released much, I have been trying), and I've used everything from DEU to Doom Builder 2 and every WAD editing tool under the sun.

Unless I miss my guess, my 15th anniversary of being married to this amazing game will be coming up this Christmas Eve.

So much nostalgia comes from the shareware era. Before playable demos became the industry standard you actually got to play up to a third or fourth of a fairly lengthy game for FREE! The better games took hours to download, but they were always worth wait. When Doom appeared on a BBS, my brother downloaded it immediately. All the while I was at a friend's house and was still totally oblivious to Doom's existence. In fact, I was very excited about playing Raptor when I got home.

So, I asked right away, "did you download Raptor?"
"Yes, but I got an even better game... Doom."

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

That was the first SW game I ever registered. Money was hard to come by in my tween years, so that's a lot of yard work there. Best game ever.

I got them in 100% curiosity, and was immediately hooked. When came the age of modern computers, I went to the dark side (Half-Life).

Recently I re-found Doom with the Doom Triple Pack on Newgrounds, dug out my floppies, got a USB floppy reader, and set it up...Then I found out about ports, and I was like, OMFGLOLWTFBBQ.

reki107 said:

I got them in 100% curiosity, and was immediately hooked. When came the age of modern computers, I went to the dark side (Half-Life).

Recently I re-found Doom with the Doom Triple Pack on Newgrounds, dug out my floppies, got a USB floppy reader, and set it up...Then I found out about ports, and I was like, OMFGLOLWTFBBQ.

So why were you like BBQ?

The following story takes place when I was 14.
I remember my older brother telling about Doom and I was maybe half curious based on his description: it's much more advanced than Wolfenstien 3D and there are different floor heights and lighting and environments and stuff. I was imagining Wolfenstien 3D with stairs and thinking that'd be pretty cool, because I loved Wolf3D at the time. Then another friend of mine said how awesome Doom was, too. When I finally played Doom for the first time I was like... what the hell is this nonsense? I can't see shit, it's jerky as hell, I have no idea where to go.. don't know what I'm shooting at and I keep dying by some damn ass fireball.... I was just about ready to give up on the game, but my friend told me to keep playing. So I did, wanting to understand what all the fuss was about. I discovered F11 and F5 and - keys, which all helped. Even playing in a little window it became fun once I could see and move fluidly. I remember getting to E1M3 and my other friend telling me you couldn't kill the pinkies with the pistol. I thought the rising ledge at the beginning of E1M5 was way cool. The more I played, the cooler it became. I remember finding the rocket launcher in the slime of E1M4. Holy shit! I remember always wanting to get outside of the windows on E1M1 by the green armor and feeling like I really should be able to. I kept trying and trying... finally realized it was probably designed to not let me out that window.. cause I clearly should be able to. I wanted to explore those mountains. I remember seeing a picture of E3M2 with the Episode 1 sky as a promo for the registered game and thinking.. wow.. you really get to go outside! I think looking for and finding secrets; monster slop; and rocket launcher physics were the coolest things about Doom for me during the shareware days. I remember I would dream about getting the full version and all the coolness that awaited. (Those cacodemons on the teaser pics looked pretty cool too)

When I finally got the full version, like most things in my life, the fun and excitement was put in check by other circumstances. I believe it was the same day I had gotten the game (did I mail order it? I can't remember, but now that I'm thinking about it I think it must have come in the mail), my friends and I had vandalized this old resort near my house that had a bunch of old rickety, decrepit, spooky buildings. We had made a giant fire in one of the fire places and threw in just about everything we could find to feed it (including spray cans and chairs and large pieces of carpet etc). You can imagine what happened.... Of course we had no idea what would happen. One of us heard someone and we ran the hell out of there as fast as we could. Some people near by had seen the smoke and called the fire department. Driving some friends home we saw fire engines go by. When I got home Doom was waiting for me.... I had to play it. I tried my best to enjoy it, though the knot in my stomach was pretty bad... not knowing if we were going to get busted in a major way for nearly burning the whole place down. (Later we learned we caused a chimney fire) Nevertheless.. finding the plasma gun on the first level was pretty cool and surprising to get it so soon. I remember trying to enjoy the atmosphere of E2M2, especially where the crushers are, and finding all those nifty secrets.

Hellbent said:

So why were you like BBQ?

First mod I made - basic outside place with fire below a hanging dude - kinda like the level (is it Plutonia?) Human BBQ

I first came across it in the mid 90s (not sure what year) burning through my local video store's collection of SNES games. I was a young'un then and didn't know how to strafe, so the game was pretty difficult. Even so I could get to the end of Knee Deep in the Dead, and the Barons always killed me. Running around in circles like a maniac with the chaingun clicking off my whole supply of ammo wasn't good strategy. I rented it a few times over several years and could never beat those damned Barons.

The next time I ran across it was when my uncle rented it for his Sega CD. Meanwhile Doom 2 and I guess Final Doom came out without me really noticing. The only game I really followed at the time was the Mortal Kombat series. Computers were becoming more affordable and my buddy got Final Doom. We were always Doomin it up after school at his house. We used to take turns trying to see how far we could get from a pistol start in Go 2 It (I was surprised years later when I realized how easy that level is to beat once you really learn how to play). I finally bought the Doom Collector's Edition probly around '98, '99? I proceeded to burn through the rest of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 (which I had never played before) and both halves of Final Doom.

Yeah, long as I'm listing: Doom 64 kicked ass. A few years ago I bought an N64 on ebay just so I could play it again. Then I realized I was too spoiled by source ports and aiming FPS's with a keyboard and mouse, and hadta download the TC, which led to me being pissed off that they changed some of it (adding some new levels fine, but changing the existing levels was completely unnecessary). GIMME THAT EX

And who could forget the long wait for Doom 3? Great game, if you didn't expect it to be EXACTLY what it would've been if you had made it. Now waiting for Doom 4... and not holding my breath.

I actually started playing a week ago. I wanted to play a action game that would be really fun. Plus Doom is like neverending because peopl always make new levels. Best game ever...Dungeons and Dragons is second best. :)

Guess what. I was looking around in youtube, when I saw the Simpsons' Doom in a video gameplay. I was interested to check it out, them I downloaded the game and the WAD. After I beat the game, I decided to try again without the WAD. Them, I tried other WADs. And this is how I reached here.

Years ago we use to have our computers in our basement. On it (and possibly the only video game we had at the time) was Doom. I remember we use to play it all the time and it and I had an absolute blast doing it. We still have the computer it has a password on it and none of use can remember it from 10 years ago (can you believe it? lol)

Last year in band class I realized I had never actually played DOOM.

A year later, it has become my favorite obsession apart from Coca-Cola and a certain other internet forum and what I'd gladly consider to be the greatest game ever made.

I first played it on DS through a homebrew port, specifically DOOM II, and through many midsaves and putting up with annoying glitches I managed to complete it on HMP. Good times.

I later used DOOM Legacy, shunning zDOOM due to its lack of GUI, but once I got properly introduced to zDOOM I never used Legacy again.

I think I remember first playing Doom when I was about 3 or 4(Can't really remember) and I spent my time watching my dad play it before I could actually play it. When I was about 4 he let me play it for the first time as I sat down in the PC chair and I was amazed. I think I remember being pretty scared at E2M8 and had nightmares about that for a while.

When I was very young, there was a version of Doom 2 on the computer i had. It had some option called "Netgame". It definitely wasn't a sourceport, but I'm not sure about all the version releases of Doom 2.

late 1990's: Playing Chex Quest, oblivious to the fact it was a Doom mod I got in a cereal box.

2006: Doom 64

2008: Friend gives me shareware copy of Doom 1 and full Doom 2, I play in DOSBox, look up gameplay footage of it online, find weapon mod for ZDoom, download ZDoom, Download Skulltag, play online multiplayer, start looking into more WADs.
I also obtain Heretic Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Hexen, and Strife

2009: I obtain Final Doom and Hexen Deathkings. I also start churning shitty WADs out of my ass making modifications to the game.

2010: More interest and skill in modding Doom.

mid 2008: was searching for nintendo 64 games to buy as i just got my hands on one, found and bought a copy of doom 64 for £1.

october/november 2008: downloaded shareware doom and zdoom, got hooked.

december 2008: ordered doom collector's edition on ebay for £15 to get the full IWADS. worth every penny.

Spring of 96', me and a class of fellow grad students are preparing to finish off our theses. There
is talk about Quake, but Im still curious about Doom, since I have heard really cool things about it.
Then I learn from a post-grad that there is sundgadoom (sparc-solaris version of shareware doom)
lurking somewhere on the network which the sys-admins play. I find it and needless to say I get most of
the class hooked (all the guys basically), including myself. The thesis did suffer.
I hadnt played video games in years since I sold my commodore 64 about 10 years before. So Doom got me
back into games. Bought a n64, playstation etc... Goldeneye, Resident Evil... And finally got to play through all of Doom with the PS version. Even got a friend to do co-op with me with a PS network cable and 2 small TVs :P
Played Subspace at work (fantastic game, now free and called Subspace-Continuum), good days. Bit more
jaded now. About the only new games I have gotten into are Half Life 2, Crysis and STALKER series.

Always sort of got geeked about sci-fi & horror films (got to love some of those old 70s & 80s flicks), especially the effects, and wanted to work as a special effects artist, but was crap at art (sort of like my coding lol). My atari VCS 2600 I had at 7(?) also fascinated me. Got my first PC back in 98, and threw in a Voodoo3 card to play Unreal Tournament. Got hooked on that, and dipped into the editor to do stupid stuff like custom voicepacks, but eventually worked on Killing Floor as the primary coder when it was still a mod. Alex, the founder was very driven, and like the coder before I quit due to 'Real Life' responsibilities. But it was cool seeing a game I worked on go pro, and I give Alex his props, he had belief & passion together (even though he had a habit of upsetting everyone, lol).
But I've had fun working on a mod of game I love, where I can have full control.

Meh, I vaguely remember first playing the very first Shareware DooM on a modified Commodore 64 (Yes, you heard me right!). That was around the time that those first dropped (the game, not the comp).

From there over the years:

-PC Ultimate DooM
-SNES DooM
-32X DooM (didn't bother with the J64)
-PSX DooM's
-DooM 64
-GBA DooM's

There would be times that I would shoot down to a local Comp USA just to play Final DooM since I lacked the computer hardware at the time (not everyone has it easy in life ya know). My dad was a casual DooMer and it sorta spawned into my genes to do the same and more.

Got into custom WAD files late (I wasn't exactly around during the days of Scythe/AV/HR/MM/VV and such) but I was one of those 'behind the scenes, underground' DooMers who only the very few in my circles knew about. And I chose to keep it that way...thus my ghost status on these forums for the most part xP

I saw my dad playing Doom 95. Then I was interested in it and played it when nobody was around kinda. It was awesome. Then he let me have his Doom 1.2 Registered floppies (multi-color discs with medical-like tape on it (masking?)) saying Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 4. Then I played Doom for a long time, then I made a friend in 2000 or so, and we Doom 95ed over 56k (he was about maybe a mile away or so, took 15 minutes to walk there and wasn't far at all, I still gotta beat him up, but I won't do that). I played Doom Legacy online in 2001 with him also. I then found DC in 2005. The rest is history. And now I am, the leader of a source port of one of my favorite ports.

There's also http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/GhostlyDeath which also details all I've done for the doom community really. What isn't listed is the countless help i've given people in Doom, regardless if I hate their guts and if I hate the port they use.