Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cronyne

Changing music, sky texture and level name.

As the title suggest, exactly how do you change the music, sky and level name? I use Doom Builder 2, but I read that it can't do that.

Now I don't need to import completely new music and skies, just be able to use the already existing skies and music in whatever level I wish.

I hope you understand what I'm looking for.

If you are making your map for Zdoom you can change it in a mapinfo lump.
This will allow you to change the sky for a specific map.

If you are making it for the original Doom(2).exe you can replace the files with an editor like XWE. Note that when you replace a sky this way it will be replaced for an entire episode and not just one map.
The map names are files named: CWIL## BTW.

Doom builder is map editing tool.

You need a WAD editing tool. A WAD editing tool basically edits almost everything else in Doom's data (except for hard-coded stuff) other than maps. With a WAD editing tool, you essentially replace doom's existing data with new stuff.

You can use XWE or SLumpEd found in the Utilities section of doomworld.com.

In your case, if your map replaces MAP01 of Doom, you will need to replace the music track D_RUNNIN (that's the track used for MAP01) with either a new midi track, or extract an existing one from the Doom IWAD and rename it to D_RUNNIN when you put it in your PWAD.

Also, I know the image patch used for the first 11 maps of Doom2 is named RSKY1, so if you put a 128x256 sized image in your WAD named RSKY1, that should replace your sky texture for the first 11 maps.

Level names (The one's you see in the intermissions) are graphics patches that are named CWILVxx. xx being the number of the map, starting from 00. (00 for MAP01, 01 for MAP02, 02, for MAP03 and so on)

There's other ways to approach what you are looking for, (sometimes much easier, such as MAPINFO that t.v. suggested) but this is used to make your map compatible with all source ports, which is a very respectible goal to shoot for, especially if you are a new mapper.

40oz said:

There's other ways to approach what you are looking for, (sometimes much easier, such as MAPINFO that t.v. suggested) but this is used to make your map compatible with all source ports, which is a very respectible goal to shoot for, especially if you are a new mapper.

How exactly would I go about this, if you can explain please.

Using XWE is the most known and easiest way:

follow these steps:

1-open your wad uing xwe.
2-go to (entry) then click on new.
3-rename the new enty to "mapinfo"-type 21-.
4-now go like this:

map map01 "y"------(y)is the title of your pwad.
sky1 stsky1 0.0----the color of your sky in a level(1-9)
music yy-----------(yy)is the music of your pwad(i think you know how)
next map02---------the next level.
CyberDemonSpecial--------a boss(baron,CyberDemon or mastermind).
SpecialAction_LowerFloor-after the death of the boss,action happens.
SpecialAction_ExitLevel-after the death of the boss,action happens.
SpecialAction_KillMonsters-after the death of the boss,action happens.
SpecialAction_OpenDoor-after the death of the boss,action happens.

That's not even the up to date format of the Zdoom MAPINFO lump.

map E1M1 lookup "HUSTR_E1M1"
{
   levelnum = 1
   titlepatch = "WILV00"
   next = "E1M2"
   secretnext = "E1M9"
   sky1 = "SKY1", 0
   cluster = 1
   par = 30
   sucktime = 1
   music = "$MUSIC_E1M1"
}
http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO

Given that MAPINFO is merely a text lump, there is nothing magical about it. Personally, I have always found it easier to write a text file using a proper, dedicated text editing tool, save the file as a TXT file and import it into a WAD. I generally don't trust WAD editing tools to do the job of proper dedicated tools that are built for that purpose and that purpose only - ie, I use a graphics program to make graphics, sound editors to make sounds, text editors to make text files (etc) and I use WAD managers to put them in to/ extract them from WAD files. I haven't ever found a WAD tool that adequately replaces any of my dedicated tools.