Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Suggestions for iPod Nano replacement

Because my 2 GB iPod Nano went MIA, I'm shopping around for a cheap portable music player (so in case I lose it too, it won't be such an expensive loss). What I'm looking for:

1. Music playback, no frills.
2. 2 GB+ capacity.
3. $50 or cheaper.

Suggestions?

Oh, then one of those cheap as fuck Chinese "MP4" things off eBay. If you're really lucky, it will last longer than it takes for you to lose it.

Yeah, or he could get a Sansa Clip that mounts as a USB mass storage device on linux, plays FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, has an FM receiver, OLED screen, microSD slot, etc. It's basically the best damn player in that price range by far.

Any cheap USB player < 4 GB that is not made by Apple will do, but avoid those with the S1 chipset like the plague.

I can positively recommend those two: Canyon CNR-MP4D1 and this: Trekstor Cebrax (both 2 GB versions). Any player using similar chipsets will do too, for they are simple and fast to operate, with no interface delays, no funny audio effects, frills free and have all essential features (and many more, usually).

They work off a single AAA battery (up to 8 hours on a large capacity 900 mAh one), so with a cheap pack of rechargeables you can smoke anything using an integrated LiPo, plus you can always replace them when you want and use alkalines.

Plus, they need no stinkin' iTunes to activate or to download music. Just copy a few files around and you're done. Both types under Eur 25.

I used to have a Sansa fuze. For the most part it's a good Mp3 player, but after having to replace it twice (thank god for extended warranties) my third one broke and I decided to get something a little more unique:

I would check this out

Another satisfied Sansa user here - apart from an isolated incident when the player refused to turn off until I'd recharged the battery.

Graf Zahl said:

Anything not made by Apple.

Exactly my thought, the price premium that most Apple products carry (including, and especially the price rape that are their computer systems) does not outweigh the benefits of researching superior non-Apple products of comparable price range.

I was gifted the iPod Nano from my sister several birthdays ago, now that it's gone, I probably won't buy another Apple product again.

I love how it took Microsoft 15-20 years to develop this reputation as an evil computer company who turn out shit products. Along comes Apple and does the same thing in less than 5.

Compared to Apple's business policies Microsoft is harmless. The only reason Apple hasn't become a genuine threat is because their market share is too small.

But if you look how they operate it's really worrying:
- Buy one Apple product.
- Want to expand on it: You need to buy another Apple product.
- Want to install something on it: Use Apple's own distribution service.
- want to develop for it: Buy a Mac.

Combine that with constant overpricing and it's obvious why some people are so suspicious of this company.

I'm on the Sansa boat here as well. I have the Sanza Fuze and its never really let me down. Those things are practically indestructible too.