Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JavaGuy

Will take verbal abuse for edit help.

Alright, I've got this level editor called DeepSea. As far as I can tell, it's like any other level editor. I need to know how to end the level when it's done, and make it so one of those story line screen comes up when it does end. Also, I need to know how to make doors go some where (last time I tried, it opened up but there was just wall behind it). I think there might be those flag doohickeys involved, but I'm retarded and not sure. Please help out a Newbie.

Well, do you mean the regular intermission stat screen, or the intermission screen with the storyline? If it's the storyline screen you want, you have to make the level replace the level right before the text screen (In UDoom: E1M8, 2M8, 3M8, 4M8)(In Doom2: 6, 11, 20, 30). If you just want the stats screen, it can be pretty much any level you want.

Now I'm not familiar with DeepSea, so you'll have to ask about the technical aspects with someone else.

To answer the first part of your question, this is possible in the ZDooM source port. Create a new text file like this:

---
Map MAP01 "Your Title Here"
Cluster 1

ClusterDef 1
ExitText
"Story Line Here"

---

All you need to do is insert this file into your wad, and name it MAPINFO. The second part is DeePSea specific. The author of that software is very helpful, and I'm sure he will answer your question soon.

About the verbal abuse you mentioned in your topic, you don't have to worry about that in this forum. The athmosphere and people here are generally friendly.

Sounds like you put textures in the wrong spot.

There are many ways to make doors. I'll explain the easiest one first:

Click on the top menu Help, select "Tutorial QuickStart". There it explains how to use the prefab door tool. The online help is a duplicate: http://www.sbsoftware.com/onlinehelp/deepTutorial_Quick_Start.htm

You can also make a door by using the "Make door from Sector" - Misc menu in sector mode. And last you can make them also by drawing - which is probably what you did, but then you have to know more about how to assign textures, tags and types.

To edit/store the MAPINFO (only valid for the ZDOOMHEXEN project), press F6 and use the MAPINFO tools there.

Hey, now I know why I can't make doors. I never had any idea what I was doing! What a suprise.... Anyway, my friend showed me some "Basics" which really means to make a single room and put lots of objects + enemies in it. I though "Hey, I'm not -that- retarded. I'll figure out how to make my level cool." Did I bother to look at the tutorial? No. And that's why I have no idea what anyone trying to help me is talking about.

I finally did use the tutoral, and I'm on part four of GETTING STARTED when a problem comes up. I make the conflicting lines it asks for, and when I do, I get a three choice option:

Exit
2-sided line
Split sector

The tutorial doesn't mention anything about these options. So I'm gawking at my computer like an idiot, and I hit "Exit" because I've got no idea what to do. And it turns out when I check the sectors, there's an error. Now
I'm stuck, and I can't go on.

Could any of you find it in you're heats to try again and help a moron such as myself?

IF it helps, the basic theory behind a door is that it's a sector with the ceiling lowered down to the floor, and a linedef 'attached' to it in some way (Either one of the door's lines, or one 'tagged' to the door - don't worry about this for now, I'll use the easiest example) that raises it to the lowest ceiling -4 units.

The easiest way is to make the lines you want Doomguy to 'push' to open type 1, which is a basic local door type.

Others require a knowledge of tags, which IIRC is covered in DeePSea's tutorial.

As for the errors you have with sectors, my guess is that you're not drawing over the line that seperates the existing sector and a new one. Sounds wierd, but I had that problem with DeePSea for ages - which can be a pain in the rear if you want sectors to share about 40+ lines.

If this is the problem, after drawing the new sector shape joined to the room you have, instead of clicking RMB to end the drawing, draw over the remaining line, which belongs to the first sector.

If it's a different problem, I don't know - you'll have to give more detail.

And as for that verbal abuse... can I do it later, when I'm not in such a good mood? Thanks ;)

I finally did use the tutoral, and I'm on part four of GETTING STARTED when a problem comes up. I make the conflicting lines it asks for, and when I do, I get a three choice option:

Exit
2-sided line
Split sector

I can't find your reference. Docs get behind as newer features are added - so if you can tell me exactly what the help topic says on top, I'll fix it. The current version of DeePsea is 11.57.

Anyway, sounds like you drew only 2 points and right clicked. That means a single line is to be drawn. A single line has various uses. One is to split an existing area (split sector - if you drew from one side to the other) or just a line for lightning or some special type (2-sided) or exit which makes a line depending on the surrounding area - usually used to replace a line deleted.

The only way you'll ever be stuck (in any editor) is if the basics of editing are not 100% memorized yet. It's pretty simple, but abstract. Look at the help section describing "sector not closed". It's pretty explicit about level construction. Once you understand that section you'll never be stuck again (on the basics).

As for the errors you have with sectors, my guess is that you're not drawing over the line that seperates the existing sector and a new one. Sounds wierd, but I had that problem with DeePSea for ages - which can be a pain in the rear if you want sectors to share about 40+ lines.

Actually this is purely a problem of learning what method works best for what you are doing. You don't think I'd actually draw over 40 lines do you?:)

So what you do is connect up to the point you want and just press Esc to quit - that prevents it from drawing that final line. If the final line goes across all 40 - a straight line - then you don't have to. DeePsea will automatically figure this all out.

If you do have some sector errors (variable depending on how you exit), it's pretty easy to fix. The old method is to select all the lines to fix (rubber band is the quickest) and then select a line that has the correct sector reference. Now right click (or press enter) and click the sector button (which has the right number now). Exit and all fixed.

This same master/slave technique is used in ALL modes to assign/copy attributes from a "master" to all slaved/selected entries. That's how I propagate textures, flats, lighting, heights, etc to any number of objects with just a few mouse clicks.

The easier method to fix sector assignments (works most of the time) is to select all the lines with bad sectors and use the auto-fix sector tool. If all the linedefs -opposite- these lines are ok, then both sides are automatically fixed/corrected to the correct sector references.

There are many little nuances to how to use certain tools at certain times to quickly solve just about any problem. But it takes a little practice and experience and realizing that tools can vary in their behavior.

Which leads me up to the last but not least: ALL the drawing tools bring up a little basic help box when you press F1.

Prefabs (which some people erroneously call "sector" editing) avoid a lot of the detail knowledge. Since DeePsea will merge parts of lines into others, it's pretty powerful too.

I got everything straightened out. These are my last questions for a while, I promise!
How big can one sector be?
How many enemies can you have in a sector before you get an error?
How many enemies can you have in a level all together?

The reason I'm asking is that the level I've always wanted to make is suited for CO-OP. I won't give the whole story line here, but the four players end up on top of a large wall shooting at around 400 monsters (Mostly imps)

"How big can one sector be?"

You mean how big can linedefs be. The absolute x/y limits are +/-32k. In practice the largest linedefs are about 16k x 16k if you are playing a Doom port. The problem is the BLOCKMAP goes over 132kb - this includes all the other linedefs in the map, not just one.

"How many enemies can you have in a sector before you get an error?"

Stock DOOM has some limit, the ports are more or less unlimited. Someone made a level with 10,000 enemies:)

"How many enemies can you have in a level all together?"

Same answer as prior

Stock DOOM can't do save games if you have 400 enemies. I think it plays ok though. If you press F10/Statistics in DeePsea it tells you the savegame size required - just in case this is for stock DOOM.

How big can one sector be?

As big as you'd like it to be.

How many enemies can you have in a sector before you get an error?

As far as I know, there's no limit.

How many enemies can you have in a level all together?

I'm not really sure.