Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

PC Gaming is officially dead

Steeveeo said:

World of Duty: Modern Warcraft

More like:

Grenade of Grenade: Modern Grenade 2

TheDarkArchon said:

Because that joke didn't get old last year.

It can't get old if it's true.

Mr. Freeze said:

It can't get old if it's true.

Uh, yes it can. Calling a gay person a fag gets old. Saying Goku's power level is over 9000 got old. Long cat being long got old. Need I go on?

Not only is that joke stupid, it now completely untrue in Modern Warfare 2. Enemies do not throw nearly as many grenades as they did in previous Call of Duty games. They even changed that damn Martyrdom perk (a grenade is set off when you die) to a kill streak bonus.

Did they "fix" the infinite respawning enemies too? That is the most bullshit part of Call of Duty, besides the ineffective allies.

Snarboo said:

Did they "fix" the infinite respawning enemies too? That is the most bullshit part of Call of Duty, besides the ineffective allies.

I actually don't mind that. Keeps you on edge.

The first one was fun, although by the end I had seen the canned death animations so many times I can never play it again.

Snarboo said:

Yeah, IW got rid of that. There's still a ton of enemies to kill, though.

caco_killer said:

Yeah, IW got rid of that. There's still a ton of enemies to kill, though.

Really? A friend of mine finished it and said it had all the constant spawning scripts you could wish for :P

Belial said:

Really? A friend of mine finished it and said it had all the constant spawning scripts you could wish for :P

I don't mind infinitely respawning enemies. I find it interesting to be forced to fight my way through a barrier that never weakens. It's like in boxing (according to Million Dollar Baby) where you have to lean into the pain. The harder you're hit, the more important it is that you push back instead of stagger backwards.

Mr. Freeze said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=227204

I hope every one of you that bought this fucking thing understand what you have helped usher in. Enjoy paying for previously free online play.

PC gaming has been dead for a while.

I personally believe EA is the sole reason behind this, a company that saps away the individual creative worth of every independant company they purchase for the sake of profit and sales over gameplay.

You need only look at Origon or Maxis. Both were companies that rated so highly from a creative perspective in the 90s that it is difficult to see how they would lapse into the crass commercial garbage they currently descended into. Carmack recently said that EA games is not the evil empire that everyone paints it as, but I don't think so. Carmack to me is a mere programming machine, and is on record as being a clinical socopiath. It was Romero who gave the creative impulse and drive to ID, and it's a pity that the cold and calculating combined with the artistic parted.

Let's be honest, when was the last time you looked forward to a game? I've not looked forward to anything for years. Maxis was a company who'se games were used in schools to educated students - I can't imagine the same being said of the recent incarnation of the Sims.

To cut a long story short, the games industry has become much like hollywood - most of it is shit, and when something decent comes along it's quickly forgotten. There are no more golden gems, no more companies like Bullforg, Microprose, ID, Maxis, etc. You'll never see a game like Dungeon Keeper again, or something as unique as Elite.

EA hasn't been that evil in a long time. While they were a monster in the industry and still are to an extent, Activision has taken the crown of greed and profit from them quite easily. Just do a quick google search for Bobby Kotick for proof.

Mr. Freeze said:

More like:

Grenade of Grenade: Modern Grenade 2

That is so witty and funny and completely original. Where do you come up with all the hilarious things you say?

The problem with PC gaming is that piracy is such an easy scapegoat. I would normally argue that things will eventually work themselves out, because developers would realize that the crap they're pulling hurts sales. Unfortunately, though, whenever sales don't turn out as expected, it's always blamed on piracy. And I know piracy is, in fact, a legitimate problem. But when you have companies like Valve and Blizzard who continue to be incredibly successful in the PC market, I think it's hard to argue that piracy is the only reason that so-called "hit" games fail on PC.

Starke Von Oben said:

PC gaming has been dead for a while.

I personally believe EA is the sole reason behind this, a company that saps away the individual creative worth of every independant company they purchase for the sake of profit and sales over gameplay.

You need only look at Origon or Maxis. Both were companies that rated so highly from a creative perspective in the 90s that it is difficult to see how they would lapse into the crass commercial garbage they currently descended into. Carmack recently said that EA games is not the evil empire that everyone paints it as, but I don't think so. Carmack to me is a mere programming machine, and is on record as being a clinical socopiath. It was Romero who gave the creative impulse and drive to ID, and it's a pity that the cold and calculating combined with the artistic parted.

Let's be honest, when was the last time you looked forward to a game? I've not looked forward to anything for years. Maxis was a company who'se games were used in schools to educated students - I can't imagine the same being said of the recent incarnation of the Sims.

To cut a long story short, the games industry has become much like hollywood - most of it is shit, and when something decent comes along it's quickly forgotten. There are no more golden gems, no more companies like Bullforg, Microprose, ID, Maxis, etc. You'll never see a game like Dungeon Keeper again, or something as unique as Elite.

The "Antichrist of Gaming" is no longer EA. They released Freedom Fighters, Burnout: Paradise, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and soon Bad Company 2. Yeah, Madden has been stagnating for a long time, but the crown is now rightfully on Activision's head.

People mentioned:
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Is it any good? I really liked Red Faction but thought that Red Faction II was deadly dull. Guerilla looks interesting but I'm not sure that I want to splash out on it without knowing a bit more given the disappointment that RF2 was.

geekmarine said:

The problem with PC gaming is that piracy is such an easy scapegoat. I would normally argue that things will eventually work themselves out, because developers would realize that the crap they're pulling hurts sales. Unfortunately, though, whenever sales don't turn out as expected, it's always blamed on piracy. And I know piracy is, in fact, a legitimate problem. But when you have companies like Valve and Blizzard who continue to be incredibly successful in the PC market, I think it's hard to argue that piracy is the only reason that so-called "hit" games fail on PC.

I totally agree. Even if somehow piracy disappeared overnight, there would be maybe a 5% jump in sales. I'm fairly sure most people who pirate are too poor to buy every game they want, are just trying the game out, or just hate the company too much to buy the game. Very few actually pirate just because they can.

Mr. Freeze said:

The "Antichrist of Gaming" is no longer EA. They released Freedom Fighters... Red Faction: Guerrilla...

EA Games just published Freedom Fighters. The game was actually developed by IO Interactive which is part of Square Enix. As for Red Faction: Guerrilla, I'm not sure where you got the idea that EA Games made that.

Is it any good? I really liked Red Faction but thought that Red Faction II was deadly dull. Guerilla looks interesting but I'm not sure that I want to splash out on it without knowing a bit more given the disappointment that RF2 was.

I tried it and quite frankly, I hated it. It feels more like a mod for Grand Theft Auto then an actual Red Faction game.

geekmarine said:

I would normally argue that things will eventually work themselves out, because developers would realize that the crap they're pulling hurts sales.

That'll depend on developers being able to influence their publisher's decision-making process. Part of the problem is that the entertainment sofware industry is dominated by a handfull of corporations who are so focussed on maintaining profit margins and market share that they've become risk-averse. They'll keep rolling out endless sequels and clones of popular game franchises because they've sold well in the past and - in the absence of something better (the NEXT BIG THING) they'll continue to sell well. If some insignificantly small publisher stakes their future on a novel gaming concept and fails, few will miss them, if they succeed - they'll be swamped by a dozen mass-marketed clones from the major publishers within 3 months.

Mr.Freeze said:

The "Antichrist of Gaming" is no longer EA.

It's not as if EA's deliberately relinquised the crown, more a case of being outclassed by Activision's money-grubbing bastard of a CEO. ;-)