Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Super Jamie

Icon of Sin Explosion Generation

How is the Icon Of Sin death explosion generated?

I'm using a voodoo doll to trigger a barrel crusher to kill the Romero Head, and I'm trying to get explosions to appear all down the face or in a row or over a large volume like however it does it in Doom 2 MAP30 but the explosions just cluster around the roof.

Help please?

Hm. All I know is that they appear at some fixed distance south of the Romero head. Maybe you need to rotate your map or move the head closer to/farther from where the explosions are supposed to be?

If I remember correctly, it's 512 units south from Romero. If they're appearing towards the ceiling, first make sure they're not sticking into the wall or something (make sure there is no more than 512 units between the target area and head), and if that fails, I guess you could raise the entire level up some. I doubt they spawn at a fixed Z-coordinate though...

The source code never lies, heh, and it says 320 units south from Romero at heights between 128 and 640 units (absolute, not relative to Romero).

andrewj said:

The source code never lies, heh, and it says 320 units south from Romero at heights between 128 and 640 units (absolute, not relative to Romero).

Haha, so even the height values are hard coded? That's some beautiful programming. I know that customizability wasn't id's first priority but... come on, guys. Seriously.

Changing the subject a bit: how in the world did the Batman Doom team hack it so this wall of explosions could move?

andrewj said:

at heights between 128 and 640 units (absolute, not relative to Romero).

Wow, never knew that. I guess all my own Icons of Sin have worked properly by sheer dumb luck.

Creaphis said:

Haha, so even the height values are hard coded? That's some beautiful programming. I know that customizability wasn't id's first priority but... come on, guys. Seriously.

Welcome to commercial programming!

That's what was needed so no more work than necessary to make it work was invested.

Lüt said:

Wow, never knew that. I guess all my own Icons of Sin have worked properly by sheer dumb luck.

Likewise. I knew about the 320 units south, but not the hard-coded heights.

cycloid said:

I do this in cyc-b.wad http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12455 to simulate you blowing up a reactor, had the same issue myself and ended up shifting the entire map vertically for the best effect.

Aye I know it, it's one of my favorite maps! Especially the "reactor uterus" which I've posted before :P

Your awesome lower-floor-to-next-lowest section in the reactor core idea inspired the Hell Knight/Demon/Baron part of my own MAP02 here.