Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Poll : Your current web browser?

Your current web browser?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Your current web browser?

• Firefox
    • Internet Explorer (I have no knowledge of technology, I am a noob.)
    • Opera
    • Safari
    • Other (State below)

Primary: IE6 + Maxthon Classic
Other: FireFox 2, Opera 9.something (the one before that auto-dial was added), Chrome 3 (now that it has the option to restore pages that were open if it unexpectedly closed)

I don't let advanced java, activex or flash run in my primary, so I keep various other 'quarantine' options available in case I want to view sites that use those. Chrome is currently my favorite for its ability to keep running at top speed after being open 3-4 weeks, but I use FF for any secure transactions like purchasing or other financial account handling.

I actually just switched from Firefox to Opera due to Opera having better speeds and Firefox kept redirecting me to Ask searches, even though I deleted and uninstalled every trace of the Ask toolbar and reinstalled.

Firefox for almost everything, Opera for a few select sites and IE for sites that are broken in anything else.

When me and Foxy get in a fight I run off and hook up with Chrome but then she does something dumb and I run back.

Like right now Chrome has this really annoying bug where if you right click in a text input area (like the one I'm writing this post in), it will highlight the character nearest the cursor. This makes pasting an absolute pain. The beta versions still have the bug and I really don't feel like writing out a report. I also don't trust Chrome with my personal stuff.

So I'm back to Firefox full time, for now, even though it still takes forever to load pages.

When Firefox gets too big, just get a new computer ;) Something with about 4 GB of RAM or more. Worked for me anyway :P

Technician said:

Opera bitches.

Reprazent.

Bucket said:

IE8 and Common Sense

Those two are mutually exclusive fyi.

Lüt's browser choice sort of scares me. I haven't preferred IE6 since Firefox was Firebird 0.6 in 2003.

There are no Safari users because Safari sucks. I know lots and lots of Mac users. I have a Mac too. None of us use Safari.

Right now I'm still primarily using Firefox with NoScript and Flashblock. I also have a few other addons to make things convenient.

School was a couple annoying sites that only work on IE (the wi-fi authentication for one), and most of their sites blow up in Chrome. Then there's WebCT. That pile of crap doesn't work correctly in any browser I've tried.

Firefox :D

I'd probably switch to Midori but I haven't bothered figuring out how to transfer all the saved passwords so meh.

Chrome, currently. For offbeat browsers I used to like K-Meleon a lot. I have Opera and Firefox installed too and sometimes do some switching around. But Chrome just works, does pretty much everything I want it to do out of the box, and lasts the longest without shitting out with memory consumption for me. It's also the fastest with rendering out of those, at least with my naked eye. Especially with tons of tabs open.

Aliotroph? said:

Then there's WebCT. That pile of crap doesn't work correctly in any browser I've tried.

Ugh, no kidding. I don't know why tech services always have to be so terrible if they're school-related. Speaking of which, know what's the most modern browser installed on my school's computers? Firefox 1.

Aliotroph? said:

There are no Safari users because Safari sucks. I know lots and lots of Mac users. I have a Mac too. None of us use Safari.

While I don't use Safari, I wouldn't say it sucks exactly. It's a perfectly good browser, but it's completely irrelevant because it doesn't have Opera's huge feature-set or the extensibility of Firefox. I don't know why Apple bothered making it. I do appreciate WebKit though.

Aliotroph? said:

Lüt's browser choice sort of scares me. I haven't preferred IE6 since Firefox was Firebird 0.6 in 2003.

Maxthon is a front end with tabs, adblock/site blacklisting, plugins, etc. It uses IE6's speedy core, but does something worthwhile with it. No browser compares for speed. FireFox v2+ at least got down to 5 times slower than IE6, instead of 15 to literally 500 like v1, as well as began to display most pages properly, so it's enough of an improvement as a secondary browser. I'll try v3 sometime, I just haven't had a need for it yet. IE7/8 are nightmares.

Lüt said:

It uses IE6's speedy core, but does something worthwhile with it.

Does it fix the rampant HTML bugs in IE6? These were what made me switch to Firefox.

IE7/8 are nightmares.

Seconded. Truly hideous user interfaces and just annoying in general.

Graf Zahl said:

Does it fix the rampant HTML bugs in IE6? These were what made me switch to Firefox.

no. there were several other things annoying the hell out of me, like the way maxthon froze for a while when loading pages in multiple tabs. maxthon2+ uses ie7 core, so it's a bit bulkier and memory expensive, but still faster than firefox (in my experience, at the least) and fixes many of the diseases passed on to maxthon1 from it's retarded 'parent'. it also successfuly stole the ff download manager, so all is fine.

ok that was a lie, there's some flash embeds that simply fail with m2, but they work under ff AND ie7. and some java heavy apps, so i keep ff3 for backup.