Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NaturalTvventy

adding new textures and flats to a wad

ah that's a good place to start, but it leads to further questions.

those steps don't tell you how to rip textures from other wads. i'd like to use textures from existing texture packs.

also, my wad will be for the ultimate doom. this how-to tells you how to make animated wall textures for doom2, using a process that will not work for the ultimate doom without replacing existing animated textures. is there a way to create an animated texture (in zdoom) without copying over preexisting textures?

thx,

NT

Research a bit about Doom WAD formats

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Lump
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/WAD

Essentially everything you see in XWE is a Lump, you can export and import Lumps between WADs.

Graphics require updates to PNAMES and TEXTURE1, which XWE will do for you automatically. To make something for Doom 1, simply select your Doom 1 IWAD when XWE asks you. You can edit the ini file to change this if you've already selected DOOM2.WAD.

For ZDoom stuff, check the ZDoom wiki

http://zdoom.org/wiki/ANIMDEFS

*** EDIT

While I could import patches from other wads just fine, my custom patches don't work! Darn-it. While they show up fine in both SLumpED and Doombuilder, when I run the map the textures I made out of them do not appear. When I imported them into SLumpEd I did so as bmp's. In SLumpEd they do not appear as 'patch'es, but rather as 'Windows or OS/2 Bitmap's (Yes I placed them between P_START and P_END). Does this has something to do with it? I tried importing them as other file types (gif, jpg, tiff, png) but none of these formats turned them into patches. Is this the problem, and if so how do I fix it? Thanks a ton!

NT

Does your PWAD have the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps? These tell the engine where in the WAD file structure to find the patches that make up wall textures. Just having a patch between PP_ markers is not enough.

Double-clicking on the Patch button in XWE will create these entries for you. You can also right-click on a patch and choose Add To Patch Names and Add To Texture.

Depending on which sourceport you're using (PrBoom, ZDoom, etc) you also might want to convert your graphics to the Doom palette. Here are some instructions for doing so with GIMP or PSP.

I don't use SlumpEd myself so I'm not sure what its' various definitions mean, sorry.

Well, it's working now. I got a texture to run from a sprite from a custom-made BMP. Don't ask me why it wasn't before or why it is now, but it is. I guess if I F with something long enough the gremlins in my laptop just give up. Sa-weet! Thanks again for your help.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

If you're aiming to do a ZDoom project, you may as well use the TX markers. They work the same way as P_START, P_END, S_START, S_END, and all that good stuff, except they are labeled TX_START and TX_END. Anything between these markers will be loaded as textures and are recognized as textures in Doom Builder 2 (and DB1 as well, specifically under the ZDoom configuration set).

Another alternate method is to use the method for defining composite (multipatch) textures, called TEXTURES. It is a plain-text, more robust replacement for the TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lumps, and has neat modder-friendly features such as rotation on a patch basis, translations, color blending, translucency, and other stuff like that. Keep in mind that Doom Builder 2 does not appear to be able to read the TEXTURES lump, and therefore will not recognize textures defined this way. I believe the appropriate usage for this method is to put your images between P_START and P_END and then define them, unless you don't care that the individual patches will appear in the textures list too if you use TX_START and TX_END.

Thanks for the further tips. I shall look into all of that for sure.

Doom.wad has a TEXTURE1 folder and a TEXTURE2 folder. does it matter at all where I store my new textures?

Thx,

NT

You're better to use TEXTURE1.

TEXTURE2 is just there so id Software could make one set of data for Shareware and then add on to that set of data for Registered.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
NaturalTvventy said:

Doom.wad has a TEXTURE1 folder and a TEXTURE2 folder. does it matter at all where I store my new textures?

Really, no, it doesn't matter at all. I would myself prefer to keep any new textures in TEXTURE2, but again it's just preference.

Jamie is right in that really TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 is a silly hack for the shareware and registered versions, but I've used TEXTURE2 in the past to no adverse effect.

So far I'm just ripping patches and making textures out of them. There isn't, perchance, a way to rip textures, all needed patches included, and paste 'em into your WAD preassembled as the appear in the original WAD, is there?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

tbh I do it the cheap way (screencap the texture and give it the original name it came with), but I'm sure there's a better way than that...

Guest DILDOMASTER666

If you're using XWE, viewing a TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lump, the texture in the black view window appears in the absolute real size it should be. For example, if I view SHAWN2 in doom.wad by looking at the TEXTURE1 lump, the SHAWN2 I see in the black window on the bottom is exactly the size it is defined as in game.

In short, just a raw screencap from XWE's TEXTUREx viewer cropped out with just the texture in place is just the size it's supposed to be. You can leave it as is.

I see, kind'a.

Well I've been generally using SLumpED because I have found it far more intuitive. But holy crap does it ever like to corrupt lists! Anyone else had this problem? For me it's been throwing random letters into my patch and texture lists.

I guess I will have to use WXE, though I'm having problems just performing simple tasks with it, like loading a patch to create a texture. I'm sure I'll work through it though.

NT

XWE is also renowned for destroying WADs. It's powerful but not very friendly. Backups are definitely required when working with Lump structure.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
NaturalTvventy said:

I see, kind'a.

Well I've been generally using SLumpED because I have found it far more intuitive. But holy crap does it ever like to corrupt lists! Anyone else had this problem? For me it's been throwing random letters into my patch and texture lists.

I guess I will have to use WXE, though I'm having problems just performing simple tasks with it, like loading a patch to create a texture. I'm sure I'll work through it though.

NT

The "problem" comes from the fact that SLumpEd is not really corrupting your TEXTUREx/PNAMES list; it's actually reading the WAD later in XWE that's causing that. What SLumpEd is doing is adding a null byte (00) after the real patch/texture name, then putting random bytes after that null (which is not technically wrong, since patches and texture names are considered "complete" when a null is encountered OR at the end of the 8-byte string). I have no idea what the deal is there.

What XWE is doing, on the other hand, is apparently reading the texture/patch name after the null byte, and including the null as an actual name character or converting the null to a space or something; which is "wrong"...

I've used XWE for all my WAD editing needs and it's never failed me, really; I have no idea what in the world Jamie's talking about XWE "destroying WADs" for. I guess if you're retarded, maybe. Occasionally I get abnormal terminations after I've already quit the program anyway, which I guess really isn't harmful. I find that any idiot could use XWE given a day or two to get used to the interface... But then, I am an idiot, so...

Fisk said:

The "problem" comes from the fact that SLumpEd is not really corrupting your TEXTUREx/PNAMES list; it's actually reading the WAD later in XWE that's causing that. What SLumpEd is doing is adding a null byte (00) after the real patch/texture name, then putting random bytes after that null (which is not technically wrong, since patches and texture names are considered "complete" when a null is encountered OR at the end of the 8-byte string). I have no idea what the deal is there.

SLumpEd's texture lump creation mightn't be "technically wrong" but it still bad enough to confuse other editing tools and some source ports. DeuTex also reads those garbage characters when decomposing a wad, fortunately it ignores them when rebuilding so I've used it a few times recently to repair SLumpEd's PNAMES/TEXTURE1 lumps.

Fisk said:

I have no idea what in the world Jamie's talking about XWE "destroying WADs" for. I guess if you're retarded, maybe. Occasionally I get abnormal terminations after I've already quit the program anyway, which I guess really isn't harmful. I find that any idiot could use XWE given a day or two to get used to the interface... But then, I am an idiot, so...

It's more that XWE is unforgiving to the novice with its' default autosave behaviour, as opposed to a program such as Notepad where you edit a file in RAM then save to disk when you are ready. There are more than a few posts on these forums where people have been messing around and accidentally erased most or all of something they didn't have backed up. It's also not the most stable piece of software, and has crashed, taking the contents of a PWAD with it, at least once for me.

I agree that once you know what you're doing, it's easy and intuitive and I've never had need for another lump editor. I still keep backups of important stuff though.