Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

The Triumphant Return of 32in24!

Since I promised lots of people a new 32in24 after Greenwar 2 was complete, I'm happy to announce that we'll be running a NEW 32IN24 before the year is out. It is tentatively scheduled for December 20th. The theme will not be released until the strike of midnight, EST, ushering in the 20th.

This is an official pumpup thread.

GET PUMPED UP!

This post is here to show that I am interested in contributing something to someone somehow somewhere ....

Awesome! I've always wanted to participate in one of these.
*looks at calender*
Unfortunately I'm working during the evening so I'm not sure if I have time to participate that time but I'll wait and see.

Edit: Well good news is I DO have enough time to participate :D

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'm so participating. I'll definitely submit a layout, and I might like to detail too.

The rules will be posted the day of the event, but for your other question...

32in24 is the process of creating 32 maps in 24 hours. It started originally as a joke on Unidoom's IRC channel. I was bored, and jokingly said, "Let's create 32 maps... IN 24 HOURS!" Deathz0r said OK, and then we proceeded to issue all of the rules for this project on midnight of the day of the project (an hour after we decided to do it) and actually managed to get more than 32 maps done in the allotted time.

So basically you're given 24 hours to create as many maps as you'd like, following the rules presented at the time of the event. It's a great event for new mappers, as it provides you with instant feedback. You can see the 9 previous 32in24 events we've done through a simple search for 32in24 on the idgames database, and you can see previous 32in24 threads by searching for 32in24 in the wads and mods forum.

I wanna try this sooooo bad but I'm almost certain this will be in session before I realize it is and by the time I find out there will be like 20 minutes left for me to map and I'll be really dissapointed.

Also Dec 20th is my birthday. So maybe I won't forget :)

So uh, I noticed it's dm. Should I try my hand at making some dm maps to prepare for this or can I just slap down a sp layout and someone can convert it?

You can't really...."convert" a single-player layout into a good DM layout generally, unless you get lucky with it or you change it a lot. Good DM layouts usually are about building a collection of paths that intersect with each other in lots of different ways, often with no or very few dead-ends. UDMX and Greenwar II are two good examples of megawads released this year with lots of interesting layouts (though some of Greenwar II's are rather simple/spammy affairs that I wouldn't advise emulating); I'd take a look at those if you're interested in seeing what makes interesting DM layouts.

esselfortium said:

You can't really...."convert" a single-player layout into a good DM layout generally, unless you get lucky with it or you change it a lot. Good DM layouts usually are about building a collection of paths that intersect with each other in lots of different ways, often with no or very few dead-ends. UDMX and Greenwar II are two good examples of megawads released this year with lots of interesting layouts (though some of Greenwar II's are rather simple/spammy affairs that I wouldn't advise emulating); I'd take a look at those if you're interested in seeing what makes interesting DM layouts.

I see. I did look around greenwar 2 when it was released but don't really have any experience with actually playing DM >.< So has there been any particular texture packs the old ones use or is it vanilla doom2? I know the layouts themselves won't be detailed in the 24 hours but it can be nice to have something set down.

Yes. I'm done writing exams by the 20th so this should work. I really want to take part in this one because it's fun to map without any of the pressure of making maps that are good.

Creaphismapping? Holy no way :O

ArmouredBlood said:

I see. I did look around greenwar 2 when it was released but don't really have any experience with actually playing DM >.< So has there been any particular texture packs the old ones use or is it vanilla doom2? I know the layouts themselves won't be detailed in the 24 hours but it can be nice to have something set down.

It's not set in stone until we actually begin the 24 hours, but most likely this time around we're not going to have a separate detailing process. Just 24 hours to make 32 maps, then compile the wad together sometime the next day and release it. As for textures, probably just Doom2.wad.

esselfortium said:

Creaphismapping? Holy no way :O

I'm not sure why you're so excited - I haven't made a good layout in my life. :S

Though I guess I could go on detail detail.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently you just said there wouldn't be a separate detailing process. I should probably start reading entire posts.

OOOOOHHHHH YYEEEEEAAAHHHHH.

I better make sure I'm off from work that day. 32 in 24 is much more important than making money.