Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snarboo

Reliable method of slowing down a game in Vista?

Is it possible to slow down a game reliably in Vista? The game in question is Mortyr, which runs far too fast on modern systems. I've looked online for help and haven't found a good way doing so yet.

Thankfully the game doesn't seem to have any compatibility problems or issues with dual core processors.

The only solution I can think of (virtualization) probably won't do the trick, because that actually doesn't slow things down much at all anymore.

That's one crappy game.

I can remember when I rented it from the video store and played through the entire thing in one evening. That never happened to be before and after when I first played something.

Graf Zahl said:

That's one crappy game.

I want to play it again purely because it is so terrible. :p

I remember the first half of the game being okay, but the future levels were an utter slog. I eventually just cheated my way to the end and was rewarded with an ending where the player plants a bomb in a random warehouse and dies in the explosion.

Slowing down a windows DirectX game without ill-side effects? Heh, good luck with that. I wonder how they managed to screw up speed adjustment on a PC game, especially in 1999 where DOS was all but gone as a gaming platform, and yet there could be processing power discrepancy ratios of 4:1 or more between "entry level" systems. The only real fix would be patch.

However... wikipedia's entry hints at using CPU Killer, and also states that having faulty speed calibration was unusual at the time and type of game.

The only other DirectX title I recall having trouble with speed calibration was Pro Pinball: the Web (and then only on an Athlon 1600XP+ CPU, it worked fine with faster ones, so I suspect there's some sort of arithmetic overflow kicking in and out circularly).

What kind of processor do you have? If it's AMD, I believe their site has a core optimizer program that can fix your speed issue.

caco_killer said:

If it's AMD, I believe their site has a core optimizer program that can fix your speed issue.

I already have the core optimizer installed, but thank you.

Edit: I seem to remember this game being too fast even on my old computer equipped with Windows XP and a 1ghz processor, so I'm going to say the issue is one of shoddy programming like Maes suggested.

I don't even know if it's possible to selectively slow down an application in a multitasking/multithreading environment without affecting anything else, and without making the cores of a CPU run at 100% load all the time: unlike DOS where you ran one game at a time anyway, under Windows or Linux you don't really want e.g. the kernel or the disk cache threads to slow down too, and you don't want the CPUs to run at maximum load either.

It would be cool if there was a tool that just task-switched and gave really low execution priority to an application's executable module (and thus, the playloop in games) but WITHOUT slowing down the OS, without affecting screen rendering or sound playback and without overheating the CPUs, or causing hazardous conditions in the HW/SW.

Reliable method of slowing down a game in Vista?

You're running Vista. You can't get much slower than that.
HEY-OH

C&C games have a similar issue. Fortunately they have game-speed sliders in their menus. But yeah, try the DirectX version of C&C at full speed on a modern computer. Even on a Pentium it's scary fast.

Heh, i remember getting Starwing on a SNES emulator a while ago and thinking it was way harder than i remembered. So after learning to play through easy skill again i discovered that there was a "speed restriction" setting, and i had actually been playing at at double the speed i was supposed to be.