Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ignis Affero

Polyobect height question

The story so far, I'm trying to create a somewhat realistic building (or as much so as Skulltag can handle) using 3D floors and Polyobjects. The building only contains a first floor and basement. I am using a Polyobject to create a swinging door and that is 112 map pixels high in a room that is 500 map pixels high.

My problem is this, The door is too tall, reaching the full 500 mp rather than the 112 mp that I want.

I've tried setting a 3D floor at the top of the doorway hoping that it would block the Polyobject from going too high (seeing that it does not go through the floor and in to the basement.) That being said, I did try setting the height of the dummy sector to match the desired height of the door, but that didn't work either.

I am using DoomBuilder 2

How do I set the door so that it fits the frame?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

PolyObjects are made up of 1-sided lines (technically). Therefore, they will always be "infinitely tall". There is nothing you can do, really.

If you don't have background structures taller than the building that would be cut off, you could make the ceiling of that sector equal to the building and leave the upper textures blank. Doesn't work if you can go on top of the building, but you could add some 3D floors around it so there's some elaborate entryway covering the cut offs.

blood said it, try adding some gutters or bordersaround the building making em look more realistic (if thats what your map follows) and it will cover that right up.

kristus said:

You can use portals in GZdoom as well. But they are prone to get HOMs there.

Here, there, and everywhere.

Enjay said:

Not really, no, but there is a way to fake it with lines and mid textures.

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/examples/poly.zip

The only problem with that is that the texture I'm using for the door is a repeating texture. Is there a way to make it not repeat, like a script or something?

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at Eternity but I'm kind of in the middle of a Skulltag map. So I'll have to do that when(if) I finish.

gemini09 said:

Cool. I'll try it out. Hope it works with swinging doors as well.

On second thought, I will not........ it looks fine with a grate texture but it won't with a solid door... :(

It does work with swining doors and, with a bit of cunning, I'm sure it would be possible to construct something that looks a bit thicker than a wafer-thin texture - even if its door shaped a box made from 4 lines moving together.

Ignis Affero said:

The only problem with that is that the texture I'm using for the door is a repeating texture. Is there a way to make it not repeat, like a script or something?

How do you mean "repeating". Do you mean vertically? I think this method should work just the same as any other mid tex on a line - by default it won't tile (I think).

Enjay said:

How do you mean "repeating". Do you mean vertically?

Yes, I was just wondering if there was a way to prevent the vertical tiling of the door. Is there a way to make the door texture a mid texture, like through XWE?

Ignis Affero said:

Is there a way to make the door texture a mid texture, like through XWE?

Most definitely not. Mid textures are not mystical things, they're just textures put on the middle, rather than the upper or lower part of the linedef. XWE is not a map editor.

To prevent repeating, your line must be 2-sided. Polyobjects work with 2-sided lines to a certain degree. A thick, swinging door like this should be very possible.

How about this by way of a test of principle:

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/examples/poly2.zip

I just whipped it up in 5 minutes so it isn't perfect. A real map would need to be prettier.

It seems to work in GZdoom but messes up in Zdoom. However, you are using 3D floors, so you must be using the GL renderer so it should be OK.

Limitations: You can either set the door to be impassable or to "block all". If you pick impassable it means (just like a normal impassable line) you can shoot through it. If you pick "block all" (as I did) you can't shoot through the door but you can't shoot over it either.

That's really great, Enjay. Thanks.

I suppose there's no way to assign a door-open action to the door itself, right? I went with WR lines and it's kind of silly how it works out, but I wanted the swinging doors, though I wonder if a platform was more practical...

gemini09 said:

I suppose there's no way to assign a door-open action to the door itself, right?

No. The door action is absolutely incompatible with a polyobject.

You probably could put a line in front of the door that is set to activate the Polyobject when player presses use. So essentially you would be placing an invisible switch in front of the door to make it seem like you're using a regular swinging door.