Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Poll: Most played video games

For having nothing better to do, list up to ten video games which you have spent the most time playing through out your life (since no one probably knows for sure how much time is spent on each game, the list can be an approximate one).

My list:
1. Doom (1 & 2)
2. Diablo 2
3.-4. Age of Empires 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3
5. Warlords Battlecry (2 & 3)
6. Settlers 2
7. Neverwinter Nights
8. Caesar 3

Potential 9.-10. games: Morrowind, Jagged Alliance 2, Titan Quest, Age of Mythology...

1. Doom 2
2. The rest of the Doom engine games (besides Strife.. never got into that)
3. Diablo 2
4. Fallout (1,2,3 yeah i liked 3)
5. World of Warcraft (wasted about a year and a half on this.. never again.)
6. Metal Gear Solid 2 (one of my favorite series of all time, but I played MGS2 the most.)
7. Command and Conquer (original and Red Alert)
8. X-Com: UFO Defense
9. Final Fantasy 7/8/9 (I've played the rest of the games but those really defined my younger years.. besides exploring the nooks and crannies of Doom 2 of course!)
10. a major tie between a lot of other games I used to play a lot. Privateer 1/2, AoE, Starcraft, Duke, etc...

Go ahead and make fun of my MGS and FF love. It will never die no matter how ridiculous those games get.

Gonna have to go by categories ...

1. doom and other iwads.
2. Navyfield. It's my free MMO that I play to blow crap up and actually be somewhat competitive with other people.
3. Starcraft - to a much lesser extent warcraft 3 but also LAN.
4. bethesda games (fallout 3, morrowind, oblivion).
5. Pharoaoh and stronghold/crusader
6. Tales games, about 120 hours on symphonia and dawn of a new world, and just getting into abyss.
7. Fire emblem games.
8. Random RPGs like Bard's tale and most recently Trine, although trine could be a platformer.
9. pokemon. I have 3 generations - B/R/Y, G/S, and Pearl. Played a long time ago though. Also golden sun/the lost age could go here. Basically any GB/DS game I actually finished.
10. Anything else I play.

You can kinda see what I play the most, although pharoaoh and stronghold should be a few lower and pokemon a little higher ...

Doom, easily at number one position.

These in no particular order:

Diablo
Windows Solitaire
Gran Turismo 3
NetHack
Ultima Underworld
GoldenEye
One Must Fall 2097
Tekken Tag Tournament

Doom(2)
Half-Life
Lemmings
UT
Unreal
Hexen
Minesweeper
Heretic
Quake
Quake 2
Blood
Blood 2
MDK

Edit: Oops, I forgot Battlezone (the 1980 arcade game, that is)

This is a chart for about the last six months or so. Obviously these things fluctuate.

1. MUDs (connected 24/7)
2. Civilization 4 and various mods
3. Doom (and variants thereof)
4. Magic: The Gathering (various online, and real life incarnations)
5. X2: The Threat
THE REST: Mostly either Half Life 1 mods or SNES/NES roms for playing during class. Or abandonware type random dos games.

Overall charts probably wouldn't look much different, except X2 comes nowhere near charting. I've just played it a lot lately. More random FPSes would be on that list.

Doom.
Call of Duty 4. (much less than Doom btw)

I'm serious, that's all I play. Everything else doesn't appeal to me these days and the only things I like about first person shooters these days are the gameplay mechanics that were directly ripped from doom. It's pointless to play anything else if doom captures everything I enjoy about games. I would definitely play more Contra than Doom if there was a version for the PC that had it's own map editor and community for it was a reasonable size and the output of user-made maps was high.

I played CoD4:MW for the first time the other night. I found it kinda boring. Everything is so slow, and the NPCs seem to be constructed so they essentially do the mission without your help and you just run between waypoints to advance the voice acting.

Are you one of those dudes who can do insane Contra speedruns and knows where everything is and usually draws a crowd who marvel at your skill when you're just playing casually? I have a mate who is like that with Mario 3, we all ask him to play and it's amazing. He's like "Er, does anyone else want a go? This is kinda boring" and we're all like "No way! Keep going!"

I think it goes like this:

1) Mount & Blade
2) Diablo 2
3) Oblivion
4) Morrowind
5) Daggerfall
6) Thief 2
7) Civilization I
8) Starcraft
9) Hexen
10) Deus Ex

Potential candidates:
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit.
Hexen II
Quake
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II
Stunts

Very Approximately:

Doom / Doom 2
Quake (in the form of QuakeWorld Team Fortress mostly)
Team Fortress 2
Ragnarok Online (Shitty Korean MMO D:< )
Quake 2
Quake 3
Pokemon red/blue
Super Mario World
Street Fighter II

Damnit, I know I'm missing some really obvious ones ;<

According to Steam's (dodgy) stats, I've sunk the following amounts of time into these games in the past year:
TF2: 190 Hours
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: 46 Hours
Garry's Mod: 43 Hours
Left 4 Dead 2: 35 Hours
Left 4 Dead: 25 Hours (I think this is wrong)

Doom 2
Doom 1
Need For Speed High Stakes
Warcraft 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle
Commander Keen 1
Jetpack
Quake

Probably something else that belongs in this list that I'm not thinking of....

Doom 2- I played lots of different mods and played deathmatch online with Zdaemon.

Earthbound- My sister and I have played through this over 15 times.

Marathon 2: Durandal- I recently completed it for the 10th time. Only one of those times was on Total Carnage.

Duke Nukem 3D: I have spent many hours playing the numerous maps and total conversions made for this game.

Star Ocean: Til The End of Time: Finished this one 10 times. Last time I checked my files, I think my combined time was over 300 hours.

Perfect Dark: 100+ hours of singleplayer and multiplayer combined.

Super Smash Bros Melee: 150+ hours of multiplayer.

That's all I can think of right now.

Doom
X-COM
Tribes 2
Diablo 1
Freespace (1&2)
Warcraft (1&2) (I actually like 1 more)
SimCity 2000
StarFox
Pokemon Red
MechWarrior (1-3)
MegaMan X

I'm tempted to put Super Mario RPG on the list as I beat it multiple times. However it only took me ~5 hours each time, only game I've tried to speedrun.

Something like...

Doom (and variants) - infinite?

Super Smash Bros Melee - around 2000+ hours + tournaments I've been (also some Brawl, but I don't think I've played that one for more than 100 hours)

World of Warcraft - Hardcore PvE for like six months

----

Notable mentions:

Warcraft 2 / Starcraft / Warcraft III - Probably more than 1000 hours the three combined.

Chrono Trigger - I've completed it like 7-8 times

FFVI / FFV - more or less like Chrono Trigger, counting both of them

Super Mario Bros 3 - The game of my childhood.

Super Mario World - Haven't played the game as much as 3, but played many hacks and did some levels. Also played a lot to the mario universe as a whole.

I can't remember anything else right now, other than even if it's not a videogame, I've also played a lot of competitive Magic: The Gathering.

Doom II is easily my most played game, the time spent on the rest being a lot harder to estimate. But I'll try anyway:

2. Fallout 2
3. Pokémon Ruby (only because I was in the military then, the GBA being my sole gaming device)
4. Unreal Tournament
5. Alien Swarm (an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod)
6. NHL 96 (the DOS version)
7. The Incredible Machine
8. Grand Theft Auto 2
9. Action Quake (a Quake II mod)
10. X-COM: UFO Defense

Sorted into roughly cronological order-

Elite (C64)
Zork trilogy (C64)
Silent Service (C64)
Gunship (C64)
Populous (Amiga)
Sim City (Amiga)
Bard's Tale trilogy (Amiga)
Frontier (Amiga)
Heroes Chronicles series (PC)
Doom (PC)

Hmm, in terms of total time I've spent playing games?

1. Doom (by a straight longshot)
2. Diablo II: LOD (by another longshot)
3. Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
4. Wolfenstein 3D
5. Quake
6. Heretic
7. System Shock 2
8. Adventure for the Atari 2600
9. Hexen
X. Quake II

Notes:
I've devoted several years of my life to Diablo II, but Doom tops the cake by miles. I've been playing Doom on and off for more half of my life. No other game will surpass it in this list.
Most of the other games mentioned on my list are really only there because of revisiting the multiplayer aspects of them. Wolfenstein 3D is the exception, but I remember playing max-games through both the original 6 episodes and spear of destiny, wasting a good chunk of my early life.
The only console game I can add to my list is Adventure, as it's probably my second favorite game next to Doom. I probably know more about it than I do about Doom (where there is a LOT to learn). It's listed because I played it on both my Atari and on emulators countless hours, trying to figure out every little thing about it. Plus, it's just a downright fun game, being the first graphical adventure game and all.

1. Might and Magic 6/7/8
2. Classic Doom
3. Morrowind
4. Oblivion.
6. Diablo 2 LOD
7. HoMM 3
8. Quake 2
9. Gran Turismo 1
10. Doom 3

Something like that.

Hmm... Longest on a game.

1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Snes)
2. Starfox (Snes)
3. Super Mario World (Snes)
4. Heroes of Might and Magic 2/3: Complete
5. Doom
6. StarCraft/WarCraftIII(Exp)/DiabloII(Exp, Mod)
7. Kingdom Hearts (1 and 2)
8. Crash Team Racing (PSx)
9. Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick (PS2 version)
10. BorderLands (PC)

All I can think of, and yes, Kingdom Hearts and Borderlands have stole much of my life, even if recently done.

1. Doom 2 pwads (including iwads in the 90's)
2. Super Mario Kart

3. Internet Hearts (the one that comes with Windows XP. If it's safe enough for me, I try to save the queen of spades + hearts for the player with the fewest points so that the game lasts as long as possible, but sometimes trying to shoot the moon is too tempting)

3. Grand Theft Auto 3 (ps2)
3. Road Rash 64

6. Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Wind Waker
6. Acid Tetris
6. Quake
6. Silent Hill 2

10. can't name only one

I couldn't accurately say. World of Warcraft is an easy one to point out, since I've logged something like 300 hours on it, although most of that was probably idling.

I know I've got about 80 hours on Black & White 2, and roughly the same for Fallout 3. I've probably got much more than that with Fallout 1 and 2. Definitely have played a lot of Doom, but couldn't speculate exactly how much.

Star Ocean 2 is a likely candidate for high play time, as is Final Fantasy X. San Andreas I've definitely played tons of. I played the PS2 version to death (at least twice through, probably around 200 hours) before I eventually gave it to my ex girlfriend and then got the PC version and have logged 70 some hours on it, I believe.

Beyond that, I probably haven't really spent more than 20-40 hours on any given game I've ever played.

In No order

Oblivion
Fallout 3
Megaman X
Metal Gear Solid:The Twin Snakes
Doom 1 and 2
Street Fighter 4
Castlevania:Order Of Ecclesia
Castlevania:Smphony Of The Night
Castle Crashers

Nomad said:

Black & White 2

I knew I still had a game I missed... Just for a game like this, it is still hard even if you know what you're doing. >.<

Yeah, I've never been able to beat it either. I tend to choose the more "Win by impressing" route, but it doesn't work on the later levels. I totally suck balls at waging war in it even though I'm sure it's really not that complicated. Never been much of a strategy fan; I just like to build and arrange.

In no particular order:

1. Doom 2
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
3. Mega Man X
4. Mega Man 2/3/4/5/6
5. GTA: San Andreas
6. Soul Caliber 3
7. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
8. Quake 2
9. Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Entire life? Let's see if I can even remember half the games...

1) Doom/Doom 2
2) Zelda 1
3) Lunar: The Silver Star
4) Heretic
5) Zelda 2
6) Zelda 3: Link to the Past
7) Mario 3
8) Hexen
9) Warcraft 2
10) Wizards & Warriors

The NES era gets hazy, with the exception of Zeldas the most and Mario 3 the second-most. I'm probably forgetting something big, but nothing else is coming to mind for now. I might be able to swap Wizards & Warriors with Kid Chameleon... or maybe SimCity, but I didn't play that one so much as let it run while I was nearby.

my mostly played games series:

1. doom 1/2/3
2. tekken 1/2/3/tag/4/5/DR/6
3. gran turismo 1/2/3/4/5:P/PSP
4. sonic 1/2/3/advance/advance 2/advance 3 (dont like the 3D ones myself)
5. ridge racer/revolution/rage racer/type 4/V/PSP 1/PSP 2/7
6. burnout 1/2/3/legends/dominator/paradise
7. civilization/IV/revolution
8. goldeneye 64
9. star wars battlefront/2/renegade squadron
10. littlebigplanet/PSP

i only listed the ones i own in each series.

doom is easily first, the rest dont have that much of an order, i play them all around the same.

Most played game? Most likely Quake III Arena.

No, I was never particularly "l33t", even after playing for several hours a day, every day, for two years or more. I must also point out that there are games that are closer to my heart that I've spent comparatively little time with.