Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Skulltag has a new home

So is there a reason that the news story doesn't mention anything about the drama regarding whether Carnevil had the website stolen or what the hell ever happened. BORING

Linguica said:

So is there a reason that the news story doesn't mention anything about the drama regarding whether Carnevil had the website stolen or what the hell ever happened. BORING

In case you missed the links:

What Carnbarn says happened: http://skulltag.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22766
What SoulPriestess says happened: http://drdteam.org/page.php?p=skulltag
The Skulltag thread where Carn and the Admins air out their dirty laundry: http://skulltag.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22766

I deliberately left the drama out of the news posting because there's already a big "drama" thread on the Skulltag forum where surprisingly everyone is relatively well behaved. The only thing that matters to the outside world is that skulltag.com is now not under the administrations control, and people should change their bookmarks. That's pretty much it.

EDIT: Shai nailed it, there's no real 'drama' here. Everyone who Carn banned, as far as I know, got unbanned by the current staff. Carn is gone for good and there are no mass protests going on or anything of that sort happening. The whole "RussianDumbass was banned by accident" thing that happened a month ago was way more juicy than this.

All your drama can be found in the skulltag.net forum post. This seems like it will not be as messy as most of the salivating mongs out there hope. Carn may genuinely be giving it up.

tl;dr version of drama:
Carn comes back from doing whatever it is he does, bans a bunch of people and deadmins Xenaro (DD_133.) The real staff does not approve. Meanwhile skulltag.com's host sucks, so a newish mod, Soulpriestess, says she can host. They tell Carn they're switching over and Carn says OK. Then they switch, he gets paranoid, and does his "you're betraying me" schtick that he's done with every single mod in the past. The real ST staff gives him the finger and registers the new domain, and Carn is no longer involved with the team or the project.

skulltag.com/theft said:

...Ralphis had reared his ugly head once again...

the real culprit. god, i love that quote.

dew said:

the real culprit. god, i love that quote.

I posted that line over and over on #unidoom as soon as I read it. We figured out that Carn has a huge fixation with Ralphis' head. Your Skill is Not Enough medal anyone?

Here's hoping the ST's vendetta against Unidoom goes away with the departure of Carn.

Linguica said:

If you don't like how Doomworld is being run nowadays, perhaps you should come back and try to run it yourself again ... if you can!

oh god. I'm scared to test any range of my freedom of speech in those forums these days.

hahahahaha

Anyway Ling is right, Doomworld should be breaking the big news stories to bring traffic back to the site. Telefragged or whoever is in charge now needs that ad revenue!

We need juicy editorials up where the newstuff is!

AlexMax said:

The whole "RussianDumbass was banned by accident" thing that happened a month ago was way more juicy than this.

Should be noted that those events are what started this entire downward spiral. The banning of Rus, us getting angry, me and some others getting banned, Metalhead and Xen having a pissing contest, etc towards the meltdown. It could be argued that all of this is the resolution of those events

AlexMax said:

people should change their bookmarks.

By deleting all trace of skulltag and its rotten "community", presumably.

On a long reflection, I have this to say. I was torn at first between a feeling of sympathy for Carnevil and extreme displeasure at the actions of these people who I don't know in "stealing" Skulltag and sympathizing with the folks who I don't know who seemed to have been given control of a project and then having the Old Boss come back in and re-assert himself. However, in the end, I think both sides are being childish, petty fuckers for lack of a better term, and need to take a step back and get a reality check.

Both sides know Carnevil started and owns Skulltag. What they don't seem to grasp is that Skulltag can never be theirs to own, ever. It's Carnevil's creation, and by all rights, you guys should just step down and give him back his website and his game mod. I don't even like Carn that much, but I feel he has been cheated and usurped by upstarts who have no idea what the fuck integrity is, apparently.

Carnevil has sacrificed his time and energy into Skulltag, what you have done is theft of the results of a man's dedicated effort to create a fun Doom modification and engine port. I think if you want to end the drama for real, you'll completely hand back control of Skulltag entirely to Carnevil and start your own counter project from scratch using whatever engine you feel is best. Make your own bots, sprites, scripts, maps, sounds, program your own netcode and engine features. To continue on with the Skulltag name is dishonesty at its lowest.

fraggle said:

If you don't like how Doomworld is being run nowadays, perhaps you should come back and try to run it yourself again ... if you can!

The new server won't be ready for a couple of days. Oops - should I have mentioned that? ;-)

Grazza said:

what? no. The community has been quite GOOD considering all this. in fact they are not the problem at all.

Naked Snake said:

I think if you want to end the drama for real, you'll completely hand back control of Skulltag entirely to Carnevil and start your own counter project from scratch using whatever engine you feel is best. Make your own bots, sprites, scripts, maps, sounds, program your own netcode and engine features. To continue on with the Skulltag name is dishonesty at its lowest.

This post couldn't be more misinformed.

Grazza said:

"Fuck you too."
-The Skulltag Community

Naked Snake said:

Carnevil has sacrificed his time and energy into Skulltag, what you have done is theft of the results of a man's dedicated effort to create a fun Doom modification and engine port.

What the fuck is Carnevil going to do with Skulltag back, aside from letting it languish while he concentrates on Vega? He'd have a hard time trying to find anyone else to take Rivecoder's place, given his reputation for being paranoid and hot headed. And you're also discounting all the work that the current administration team has put into the port in Carnevil's TWO YEAR absence. If we went down the "well THIS IS MY CODE!!!" yellow brick road, then Carn would be stuck with whatever version of Skulltag he last worked on, which would be at least a year out of date by now, maybe even two.

It's better for everyone if the port stays in the current development teams hands. It would have been even better if Carnevil hadn't created this mess in the first place, but apparently everyone is out to get him and now he's completely cut himself off, so that's the end of that.

Naked Snake said:

To continue on with the Skulltag name is dishonesty at its lowest.

Funny you should mention that. Though more from a pragmatic point of view, as in "Carnevil might decide to fuck over the Skulltag community and current administration somehow since he has sole control of the .com domain, it might be a good idea to rename the project to remove whatever little leverage he has left."

BlackFish said:

I'm jumping on the for Carnevil wagon. This project belongs to Carn.

They already tried to give it back to him. He didn't want it.

SoulPriestess said:

Why then, wouldn't I give it back? Because I can't talk to the man who wants it back! I tried, I offered it to him, I told him open an SQL database and a blank FTP and I'll put EVERYTHING back on there - no questions asked. It was impulsive of me to even offer it at all - but he still turned it down.

He's all hat and no cattle, as they say in Texas.

I'm concerned for my preferred port ... although I never post on its forums -.- I agree with the current admins' PoVs if it matters.

EDIT: [off-topic comment]snap, 675 posts for forum regular? man I'm spammy [/off-topic comment]

Alexmax, what position do you have on the skulltag administration? Because from what I've seen so far, you seem to be one of the biggest shit stirrers of this entire circus to this point