Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

kaplanator said:

Another HacX one; this is a maxkill run on map10 (Anarchist Dream), one of the longest maps in the pack, done in just under 10 minutes. I used slow motion but no strafe50.

I wonder if the invisible revenants are supposed to be there.

The longest darken2 demo so far... But I'm still amazed it could be done below 4 minutes!! I like how you shoot the 2nd mancubus (SSG), leave it, then deliver a rocket to say good-bye and it's dead :)

Nothing much to say except for what's in the text file. As usual, these demos are mostly for research purposes, but they can be entertaining to watch too.

m219nmx.zip

plutonia 2 episode 1
UV-speed movie in 3:12
segmented re-recording in prboom+

i was having some fun with p2e1 and -recordfromto :) no other tools used and i wanted to keep it quick (3days) and enjoyable even for me, so it still looks raw and human. maybe an inspiration for akse? :)

p2e1x312.zip

Shai'Tan's Luck Map28 UV Speed in 3:24

I've wanted to record something on this map for a long time, thankfully TAS makes it a lot easier. :)

sl28-324.zip

plutonia 2 episode 1&2
UV-speed movie in 7:40
segmented re-recording in prboom+

ta daah. i decided to continue the movie rather than a separate e2 run. so now it's maps 01 to 20. see txt for the tl;dr description.

20p2x740.zip

Comments: Watched Altima Mantoid's nomo and recorded this in five minutes ; lots of small mistakes (I don't even know where to go when I enter the main room !).

Wathed nomo run in 1:07 but NOT Vile's pacifist in 1:06? Dude, wtf!
Btw, I remembered you could take that red key in map17 with strafe50, just fyi if you didn't know (at least wasn't mentioned in comments).

Dude, wtf!

As you can guess I don't have extensive knowledge of Doom speedruns. I just watch and record demos in a casual manner.

I remembered you could take that red key in map17 with strafe50, just fyi if you didn't know (at least wasn't mentioned in comments).

Good to know indeed, but I can't strafe50 (and I don't want to use automated sr50 - I'm more interested in what I could theorically do myself rather than something optimized).

Phml said:

I'm more interested in what I could theorically do myself rather than something optimized).

That's why I love your demos, they actually look human.

Thanks Archy. :)

No Chance UV Max in 20:55

Whew ! A map that is tough to beat even with TAS (for me, that is). You don't want to know how long I spent on this demo...

nc-2055.zip

Indeed, there is a misunderstanding here : you seem to believe you can make up definitions for acronyms who actually mean something.

In the context of demos/videos, the acronym TAS has always meant Tool Assisted, and nothing more. Striving for perfection is an optional choice one may or may not make. I quote the first post : "If it is a tool-assisted demo, anything is OK."

Unless it is deemed unacceptable by a moderator, I'm going to keep posting my casual TAS demos. I'm afraid I couldn't care less if it irks you - there's an ignore feature available and you're free to use it with my name if you find me annoying.

TAS predates Doom, there's a whole world outside of Doom and video games didn't start with Doom either. To assume I'm a newbie to TAS in general because I don't know the technicalities of a Doom source port ranks about as high on the stupid scale as to assume people are angry because they disagree with your opinion ; if you have to ask, both would rank pretty high.

In various fields, I've seen close-minded people try to make up their own definitions to reduce the sense of something to a particularity that is relevant to them and a select few others. Roleplaying doesn't imply playing Dungeons and Dragons, TAS doesn't imply striving for perfection, being a mammal doesn't imply being homo sapiens. Arguing otherwise is close-minded nonsense as it best, especially if you can't even make a clear-cut made up definition.

What is "perfection", anyway ? This is a completely relative, and subjective, consideration. A quick glance at DSDA can show you many TAS who have times far inferior than normal runs. These are definitely not perfect. I'd argue most TAS are far from perfect either, else we wouldn't see improvements every now and then. So what makes these TAS OK and my demos not OK ? Surely that wouldn't be because you assume these people are striving for perfection while I said I was being casual ; surely you wouldn't be so silly as to play semantics to try to argue your point.

I could claim I'm striving for perfection, within the limits of my own abilities ; that would be 100% true. I'd argue the same claim applies to literally everyone. Players simply have different skill levels and time available. Just in this very topic you see different kind of TAS demos, some are built, some are not, some use always SR50, some don't. Are all demos who don't use SR50 and aren't built for maximum efficiency invalid ? Why don't we take this to the extreme while we're at it, and remove any demo that isn't the absolute best time possible for any given map, this is assured to increase participation and makes for a very fun and engaging atmosphere, right ?

You see my post as an irate outburst ; I saw your post as childish immaturity I've seen way too much from grown adults and that I don't want to put up with. I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the kid who insisted we needed to be 2 teams of 11 to play football at all back when I was a child : you're stubborn and I don't want to have anything to do with you. Try to piss in my cereals all day long, you're only reaching your shoes ; I'm going to keep having fun doing what I do and no amount of arguing from you is going to change that fact.

plutonia 2
UV-speed full movie in 14:55
segmented re-recording in prboom+ 2.5.0.6

never_again> funny... i used the words 'casual tas' in pl2ep1 txt too, but indeed, the term seemed weird to me. so i switched to 'lazy tas' and 'the suck' :)

vdgg> enjoy the new text file! :)

sorry to interrupt your discussion, guys. please continue, it's quite amusing!

30p2x1455.zip

It could be said that perfection applies to any serious speed attempt. Regular runs rely exclusively on human perfection, while TAS relies, in comparison, on machine assisted human perfection (until the day we devise a program to make the quickest TAS run with the press of a button.) But there's an emphasis on serious there. Not all the demos we upload aim to be masterpieces. Some are just the result of some fun we'd like to share.

Phml said:
Unless it is deemed unacceptable by a moderator, I'm going to keep posting my casual TAS demos.

As long as a demo is presented properly, it can be anything. After that, people just choose whether to watch it, if they deem it worthwhile. If you want to use TAS just to execute routes and produce some demos in less time that it takes to make a real demo, it's okay.

Personally, I'm not too hot for TAS and feel it's worthwhile mostly to to show tricks or to do on sets or levels that have been worked to death, once routes have already been explored minutely by players. I mean, when things start reaching the point where you need a lot of work or to be superhuman to beat existing records. So, if doing casual, lazy or sucky TAS gives you guys enjoyment, adds some experimentation yet leaves you with more time for real runs, all the better for me :)

That was quite fun to watch, dew. But beware - casual tas leads to addiction. Soon your brain will have withdrawal pains unless you start recording a new TAS-project! Just kidding ;) On a serious note - great to see a full run through the crazy antics of pl2, i especially liked the second episode, looked almost optimized, and trick-packed of course :)
I thought of starting my own movie a few months ago, but damn, this keygrab in map01 got me annoyed really quickly! I've _never_ succeded in taking this bastard, feels like he doesn't like me for some reason. Maybe i have to try again, hehe.. ;)

sorry to interrupt your discussion, guys. please continue, it's quite amusing!

ahaha, exactly!

As I got the clarification I was hoping for, you'll have to laugh at my runs rather than my words. ;)

To Fight (2fight.wad)

Map01
UV Speed in 3:11
UV Max in 6:50

2fgtphml.zip

A nm 100% demo for TNT map02. This one will be extremely hard I think, so don't expect to see it anytime soon, as I have to go to college in 3 days. I intend to spend those days doing some research on mm2 and possibly other maps.

es02nmx.zip