Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsweet46

DosBox and Doom Builder 2

I searched the forums and couldn't find this question anywhere if it was already asked sorry.

I use DosBox to run Ultimate Doom and when setting the test configuration for Doom Builder if I set it too the doom.exe it wont load because of the no-full screen in vista. so how should i set up the test configuration?

Your best bet would be to switch to Chocolate Doom. While I can get DosBox to boot straight into Doom, working out how to pass parameters from Doom Builder might be more trouble than it's worth.

Or if you're dead set on using vanilla, you can just not use the test-feature in Doom Builder and load your map from the command line.

thank you it seemed to work when i used chocolate doom; it worked for a little that is.

however when i tried to create a new map rather then just the 30sec one i put together for testing if i could use the test feature, it stopped working.

rather than loading my map like it did previously it opens up the first level of doom. any idea what the problem is?

dsweet46 said:

thank you it seemed to work when i used chocolate doom; it worked for a little that is.

however when i tried to create a new map rather then just the 30sec one i put together for testing if i could use the test feature, it stopped working.

rather than loading my map like it did previously it opens up the first level of doom. any idea what the problem is?

Unless something has changed recently, Doom Builder defaults to using zdoom-style command line parameters no matter what port you are trying to launch. That is, it will have a +map <levelname> command instead of what you need, which is -warp <episode> <level> for DOOM, or -warp <level> for DOOM II.

Vanilla, Chocolate, Eternity, etc. do not support a +map command.

Really? (I do see it in the original Doom Builder.) If so, it should be fixed, considering ZDoom also supports the other type and +map should cause problems with many other engines, giving newer users a headache or forcing them to use ZDoom engines only. We have enough problems with newer mappers testing eventually buggy Doom and Boom maps only with ZDoom, as it is.

I gather +map would be useful to ZDoom because it should allow unconventional map names, but making maps with such names is an advanced form of usage that shouldn't be dictating default behavior. When choosing an odd name for a map DB2 could instead display a warning message that +map or the equivalent may be required to run the level because it does not have a standard MAPxx or ExMx name.

It'd be much easier to decide based on the map name what kind of parameter to use instead of outputting pointless warnings.

interesting.

well with chocolate doom it worked once, and something happened causing this error.

I also have zdoom downloaded because i thought chocolate was the problem and when that didn't work either i just switched it back to chocolate.

i can take screen shots of the map or configuration page if anyone thinks it would help.

here are the parameters that are on currently:

-iwad "%WP" -skill "%S" -file "%AP" "%F" -warp %L1 %L2 %NM

-iwad "C:\GAMES\Doom\DOOM.WAD" -skill "3" -file "C:\Users\DANIEL~1\DOWNLO~1\Programs\CHOCOL~1.1-W\work.wad" "C:\Users\DANIEL~1\AppData\Local\Temp\lb84bhg7\sfvpblcq.wad" -warp 1

EDIT:

heres the map

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34355718@N07/4169796517/sizes/l/

Try this instead:

-iwad "%WP" -skill "%S" -file "%AP" "%F" -warp %E %L
I'm not sure what %NM is or was there for...

myk said:

Try this instead:

According to DB2 help, there's no %E parameter and %L stand for map lump name (ie. MAP01). %NM is for no monsters, if selected.

After trying it out, the default params should be correct. The error is probably either in your map or the work.wad-file, or alternatively there's some weird file permission trouble going on (unlikely, but you never know). Try running them together without Doombuilder.

It looks like %E and %M have become DoomBuilder 2's %L1 and %L2 parameters. Permission issues are always a possibility with Vista.

@dsweet46 - If I've read that image correctly, the problem is that you're trying to use Doom.wad to run a Doom2 map.

myk said:

Try this instead:

this was the first thing i tried as it seemed the easiest and i got an error saying that no map E1M0 could be found

after changing the level i was working on to E1M0 it worked perfectly. im still not sure i understand what the problem was in the first place but im just thankful it was fixed

thanks so much for everyone's help.

E1M0 is not a level Doom or Chocolate Doom can handle. It has to be E1M1-E1M9 to E4M1-E4M9. Try using the indicators GreyGhost mentioned instead, after -warp.

right now its set to zdoom and working at least.

i changed it too E1M1 but it still is not working with chocolate doom.

for now, i just want to begin learning editing and building maps, and later i will go through and try to fix the problem for chocolate doom.

Wait, so are you currently using myk's suggestion "-iwad "%WP" -skill "%S" -file "%AP" "%F" -warp %E %L"? That doesn't work in DB2, the default "-iwad "%WP" -skill "%S" -file "%AP" "%F" -warp %L1 %L2 %NM" would be correct. (%E shouldn't exist and %L is the whole map lump name, to be used with ZDoom's +map)

GreyGhost actually noticed a good point: In the screenshot you posted you had MAP01 open, which is a Doom 2 map lump, so it obviously never would work with Ultimate Doom. If you now named the map to E1M1, try again with DB2's default arguments.