Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunner

Doom Amusement Park

What if someone bought a bunch of property and built a real life replica of every Doom 2 level? Then hired a bunch of actors and bought a bunch of animatronics to act as Doom monsters. You could use "Airsoft" weapons, or real weapons firing blanks.

Laser tag, a similar idea, seems to be fairly successful. Do you think a single-player classic Doom approach would be a good idea?

And if you fall of a ledge in MAP29, too goddamn bad.

Gunner said:

or real weapons firing blanks.

Not if it's actual actors, even blanks can kill.

Coop paintball. Rocket launcher like a potato gun with large paintball-tipped projectiles. Plasma gun a fast-repeating version that shoots smaller projectiles. BFG is the largest version that pops out a basketball-sized projectile with a small cherry-bomb charge set to go in 3-5 seconds. Chaingun/shotty/SSG/pistol pretty easily modified from existing weapons.

The hardest bit would be how to implement melee. Foam weapons with wet paint coating the edges? Idk. Add in revenant homing and pain elemental spawning, and things get a little difficult. mancubi would be easy, with dual potato gun launchers, and the cyber could have a bfg round shooter with no explosive charge.

ArmouredBlood said:

Coop paintball. Rocket launcher like a potato gun with large paintball-tipped projectiles. Plasma gun a fast-repeating version that shoots smaller projectiles. BFG is the largest version that pops out a basketball-sized projectile with a small cherry-bomb charge set to go in 3-5 seconds. Chaingun/shotty/SSG/pistol pretty easily modified from existing weapons.

The hardest bit would be how to implement melee. Foam weapons with wet paint coating the edges? Idk. Add in revenant homing and pain elemental spawning, and things get a little difficult. mancubi would be easy, with dual potato gun launchers, and the cyber could have a bfg round shooter with no explosive charge.

The rocket launcher would have to fire automatic. I would recommend that the plasma rifle fire glowstick-like munition, but it's toxic.

I'm more interested in the facilities for now. You could probably build the facilities like a shack. Hold the insulation, just put up plywood and drywall. The interior would be the complicated part.

Flying enemies like cacodemons, pain elementals, and lost souls would have to be omitted. Building a cyderdemon and a spidermastermind would be one hell of a DIY endeavour.

What if some sick bastard just cross-bred animals and made freaks that looked and behaved like Doom monsters? And you could use live ammunition on them? I think I'd pass.

This is my concept of what the ideal real-life Doom experience would be. A business could hold sessions for customers who would pay $15,000 just to play MAP01 in real life. It would have to be safe, and conducted on an appointment basis so that all the "performers" and staff could be paid on-call rather than full-time.

There's always virtual reality, but it's impossible to imagine virtually climbing up a staircase while you're actually high-stepping around the room like a jackass.

Mm yea, I'm not very informed on how potato launchers work but I think that'd be closest to what you'd need. And I'm sure there's some non-toxic biologically glowing stuff you can use, lampreys aren't radioactive you know ...

Flying enemies could be on guide wires, so basically have catwalks on top of every flying encounter room (no real room over room is actually advantageous here ;). Ya cyber and spider mastermind would be quite intense, but then people have made things like this.

Cross-breeding animals is a lot harder than you're thinking ... there're reasons we don't see anything as weird as a minotaur.

$15k? Maybe for MAP26 of HR, but for MAP01 no ...

When you consider all the different hobbies that involve playing soldier, you have airsoft, paintball, laser tag, and LARP. I'm pretty much alienated from all four and I won't be caught dead waving a plastic sword at imaginary 20-year-old wizards.

But I love Doom and I have an insatiable desire to physically feel what it's like to play through each level in a realistic setting - being physically active, experiencing fatigue, carrying weight, etc. As I mentioned before, virtual reality wouldn't work because you can't virtually move in 3D when you're actually moving around in 2D (ex. an empty floor). Is there anything else other than virtual reality Doom, building Doom in real life, and actually opening a gate to hell?

Jodwin said:

You don't experience fatigue and carrying weight in Doom.

You would if you were dodging imp balls and carrying weapons and ammo.

There were people that made the officially liscensed Halo paintball course.

The Doom amusement park would use laser tag guns. When the lasers hit the animatronic maniquens in the head or heart, they power down disabled. Different weapons can have different strengths and different beam widths. Shotgun would spray in a V.

Here's another what if idea:

What if a madman constructed a single Doom level with animatronics / maniquins with guns? The madman kidnaps four people, drops them in with laser tag guns.

You would find real competition over the bulletproof body armor and the armor helmets.

This isn't what the original poster meant but here's a different idea for rides and amusements.

Hellride
- Underground coaster through Hell

Toxic Waste Aquarium
- Real life dangerous or deep sea things like eels, baracudas, piranah, lantern fish

OctArachnatron
- Like the octopus carnival ride, only with an arachnatron

Cyberdemon death drop
- A towering 14 story Cyberdemon in the center of the park
- Not a sculpture, but a ride that drops users from the head down the back of the Cyberdemon's and straight down its leg

Rocket Ride Rollercoaster
- Dual use for the giant Cyberdemon
- The rocket launcer can fire out a coaster like the Hulk at Universal Florida

Pain Elemental Rollercoaster
- Two coasters side by side, connecting them is a Pain Elemental
- It is a dangling feet rollercoaster
- The hands of the Pain Elemental hold onto the front of the coasters so its like you're being pulled on a ride

Necromuseum
- Zombie sculptures
- There is a guy that makes art with various skeletons
- This idea would be used to make Revenants.

Knee Deep in the Dead Lasertag
- Anyone play Men in Black laser game at Universal Studios?

Lasertag Deathmatch
- Self explanitory

Mancubus Foodcourt

Whack-an-Imp!

Doom obsticle course
- Ever seen American Gladiators? Like that
- or like NBC's Wipeout or like MXC
- Lost Soul medicine balls
- Pink Demon full body punching bags
- Tinted green water for toxic waste

Balloons!
- Cacodemon
- Lost Soul
- Forgotten One
- Pain Elementals

Giant Stuffed Pinkies

TheDarkArchon said:

DOOMGUYS RRRREAAAADY!
DEMONS RRRREAAAADY!

doomguys, you will go on my first whistle.

demons, you will go on my second whistle.

i want this to be a fair fight. no BFGs.

There was a touring show that was meant to give you an experience like "Aliens" that came to my local exhibition centre a few years ago. I was out of town at the time so didn't get to it but a friend did. They said it was really well done and the Xenomorph suits worn by the "enemy" actors were very impressive. The whole thing, apparently, had bags of atmosphere and was very scary. My friend panicked at one point and punched an alien as hard as he could in the face. I'm not quite sure where on the human inside that would have corresponded to, but the alien went down anyway. :D

Enjay said:

There was a touring show that was meant to give you an experience like "Aliens" that came to my local exhibition centre a few years ago. the Xenomorph suits worn by the "enemy" actors were very impressive.

When I was 13, a student in my art class made foam rubber face huggers and chest bursters. They were awesomely cool, even if they weren't gory real. It was major skill for a 13 year old. He spent the entire year making a full body Xenomorph costume and brought it in to class. By the end of class someone managed to steal a piece of the head, one of the gloves and three other pieces.

This was before I had seen any Aliens movie.

Enjay said:

My friend panicked at one point and punched an alien as hard as he could in the face. I'm not quite sure where on the human inside that would have corresponded to, but the alien went down anyway. :D

Was he on acid?

There's plenty of clips on youtube of Halloween pranks where the pranker gets punched in the face as a reflex. As a reflex! Not a "you just pranked me, now I'm gonna punch ya!"

I find more possible the idea of a DOOM³ coop mod or dm, using virtual reality equipment.
Virtual reality CTF would rock!
Sadly the cost to play most likely would be extensive.

Vegeta said:

I find more possible the idea of a DOOM³ coop mod or dm, using virtual reality equipment.
Virtual reality CTF would rock!
Sadly the cost to play most likely would be extensive.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of an augmented reality arena. It would be much like a regular laser tag setup, with a vest and an optical laser gun, however you'd also wear a helmet with a visor that displays a juxtaposition of the architecture of the arena, and augmented visuals as well as in-helmet speakers that help to add to the atmosphere (imagine demons randomly whispering from behind you that only you can hear!). Even though it would be a harmless laser tag game (regardless of game mode), the system could augment muzzleflashes from the guns simulating any type of weaponry.

With this sort of setup, you could even easily introduce classes while even keeping the same equipment for everyone.