Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tomduo

Freezing issue when testing map.

I have a zone where a wall lowers to reveal a quartet of demons. When the demons attack (the opening mouth bite) the game freezes and then everything goes black. I think have to shut the program down in the task manager. The map worked fine before this bug occured (including that area) but after adding a new area it happened. I don't want to delete that sector if there's a fix.

What version of DB are you using? Can you upload the map so we can see it? Are you using a Source port? If so, which one? Did you check your map for errors?

When I get off work tonight, I'll download this and check it out.

Thank you in advance. It's still a work in progress, but it's the room right through the red door at the start.

Are you also using a texture wad? Both Doom95 and Chocolate Doom report texture errors when I try to run it.

Your doors do not work properly in PrBoom, you should actually delete the sectors that are walls such as Sector 8, 9, 17, 19, 75, 33, etc. ZDoom will work around this for you, but it's still making the map the wrong way.

You've also used alot of single-sided linedefs where they should either be double-sided or single sided sidedefs with no sector behind them, as above. Press F4 in Doom Builder to check for errors such as these.

I suspect you have Stitch Verticies disabled in Doom Builder or are simply making your maps the wrong way. Have a read of some tutorials about laying out sectors and read up on Doom mapping format on the Doom Wiki.

I also wouldn't suggest using Doom 95 to test anything. If you want to check Vanilla compatibility, use Chocolate Doom. Preferably use PrBoom or ZDoom to play. Keep in mind ZDoom is not 100% Boom-compatible.

I have a new question. I am finishing said level and I want either the level to end when the enemy dies ala 'Tower of Babel' from original Doom, or when the enemy dies the exit to appear.

Thanks in advance.

If put the exit behind a door and give it the tag of 666, you put a comander keen somewhere on the map and put barrels around him. Then put a way to have the player activate a crushing ceiling in the sector with keen and the barrels will explode killing keen and opening the exit door.

That still requires the player to enter an area or flick a switch, in which case you may as well just tag the exit door directly to a switch or W1 line.

You can assign another monster's death frame to the KeenDie codepointer, so the sector tagged 666 opens when the last of a monster type dies. Check the DEHACKED lump in my Dead Easy MAP07 remake for how to do this with the Cacodemon death frame. You can go thru DeHackEd and find other monster's death frames if you want to use something besides the Caco.

Check other behaviours of Tag666 and Tag667 on the wiki. For example, they do special things on E1M8 and MAP07.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_666
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_667

To have the level end automatically - use a dehacked patch to attach the Boss Brain Death codepointer to a monster you're only using one of.