Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Real Doom Weapons.

I own a Barret Model 99, Benelli M4 and a modded Glock 17. So I don't think I'll be needing any thing else. My grandfather is a fellow gun nut and I was in the Marines. Makes it easy to get the good stuff.

I'd probably be fine with just a standard M-16 and a 9 mm,and maybe a combat knife or machete. That would last until I can find a good shelter.

...or until I inevitably get killed. In that case, I hope I come back as an Arch-Vile.

I can't even see the original image. I'm guessing neubejiita doesn't seem to realize that the average 4chan thread's lifespan is 4 God damn minutes, though I am rather curious at to what it was.

Um, what? A Glock 17 is a 9mm handgun, not a grenade. It shouldn't explode, or at least one would hope not.

WildWeasel said:

A Glock 17 is a 9mm handgun, not a grenade.

The Glock 17 is a grenade disguised as a handgun. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Mr. Freeze said:

The Glock 17 is a grenade disguised as a handgun. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Almost all of the gun blow ups are due to some one overloading the pressure levels of a cartridge they are using. Same for any gun. If your dumb and overload the bullets in any gun there is chance it might blow up.

I have had mine for 8 years now and put countless round through it. I field strip my Glock 17 and the rest of my guns at least once a month to make sure every thing is in working order and I never over due my bullets.

Glock's don't blow up more then any other gun. The only reason you hear about them doing so more then some other guns is the fact that they are so widely used these days.

Satyr000 said:

Glock's don't blow up more then any other gun. The only reason you hear about them doing so more then some other guns is the fact that they are so widely used these days.

LIES ALL LIES

The original image was what looked like a 38 special cartridge, but it was about 30mm. Must have been a photoshop job. Not even a .70 cal would be that big.

#EDIT Here it is.

neubejiita said:

The original image was what looked like a 38 special cartridge, but it was about 30mm. Must have been a photoshop job. Not even a .70 cal would be that big.

#EDIT Here it is.

That's probably a .700 nitro express although it appears a bit upscaled (or the guy has quite small hands). Those things can be pretty big, but chances are you won't ever see one in your life unless you're some british Lord of sorts that can afford the personally-crafted rifles, popping $200 a round and the costs of a safari where you could use it. Still, a 12 cal slug is even bigger than a .700 NE, and can be almost as heavy.

neubejiita said:

GINORMOUS bullet

Oh my God, that is seriously overkill. How do you not break your arm from the recoil of something like that?

Simple - hire someone with more muscle than sense to hold the rifle steady while you pull the trigger.

StevieCybernetik said:

Oh my God, that is seriously overkill. How do you not break your arm from the recoil of something like that?

To begin with, the two or three break-action express double rifles in the world (not models of rifles) that can fire that cartridge weigh at least 8 kg each, that's more the weight of a light machine gun than that of your usual break- or bolt- action. Secondly, yeah, they require a hefty shooter to handle even that way, with at least 90 kg bodyweight. Not a problem if you're said british Lord or Great White Hunter.

TheDarkArchon said:

Pfft, all that width and yet it's still shorter than WWII-wra Russian anti-materiel ammunition

But it's a fact that width matters more than...hmm...nevermind, that wasn't strictly ammunition-related ;-)

It's also smaller than a 12 cal or 10 cal slug (unsaboted), but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most powerful "civilian" calibers around. Military/bottleneck rounds are another story, especially AP/AM ones (the rifles that fired those were insanely overengineered BTW).

Super Jamie said:

I think they are supposed to be fired from a vehicle-mounted weapon. Or at least tripod-mounted.

Nitro Express rifles surely are not meant to be fired from a vehicle: they were Gentlemen's rifles (Lords, Dukes etc.), for those with the spirit of the Great White Hunter in them. Gentlemen, and more frequently nowadays, professional hunters. However calibers such as the .700 NE are actually impractical both for the recoil, weight, price, and reduced range. They are designed to stop charging elephants at 100 feet or somesuch as a last ditch attempt. Most NE rifles are between .400 and .550, and all are demanding towards the shooter.

A professional hunter or knowledgeable safari hunter will use something more reasonable, like a double rifle or bolt action chambered for the .416 Rigby or the .375 H&H Magnum which are far easier to retrieve, more versatile, easier to maintain, handle, and have better range and human-bearable recoil.

Anti-materiel (or anti-tank) rifles of WW I and WW II used extra-long barrels (over 1 m), heavy bolt-action breeches, and were meant to be fired from a supine position, often concealed (fractured shoulders and collar bones were not uncommon).

Super Jamie said:

I was referring to calibers more like 50mm.

I had actually started a thread some time ago about the world's baddest shotgun. To sum it up, as far as hand-held modern weapons go, the M79 40 mm launcher is the practical maximum (it can throw anything from solid slugs, to explosive rounds, gas rounds, and even buckshot, although at relatively low speed).

However, waaaay before that, big game was hunted with black powder smoothbore "rifles" with calibers lower than 10 (8,6, 4 and even 2 existed), which made them more like hand-held cannons (actual bores nearing 40 mm).

Calibers over 50 mm are definitively in the cannon range though, usually in autocannons nowadays.

Over all I don't think any kind of motorized tools like a chainsaw would be a good idea. There loud, dependent on fuel and can be cumbersome. If the zombies where created by some sort of Hell virus a chainsaw is also a bad idea. If you could be infected by some of there blood getting into your eyes/mouth your running a huge risk of being infected. Chainsaws could make a huge mess very quick.

Might I suggest a Khukuri knife for close-combat? Some Military forces use them in place of a machete. There heavy enough to be used to hack down brush but they are shorter and easier to pack around the a sword or machete.
Khukuri:
http://www.nepalesehandicraft.com/images/khukuri/big_01.gif

Also, I'd want be wearing some light weight riot gear of things go to hell. Some thing like this:
http://www.securityprousa.com/liriprge.html

Any non-crippled military would just employ conventional means like armored vehicles, cannons, napalm bombing, or just running those fuckers over with a tank (that would be too much even for the cyberdemon to handle).

Now, if you had become a "one man army" by necessity, a shotgun would come in handy for close quarters, and any assault rifle for medium/longer range. And some grenades for the larger problems, although you'd probably need someone following you around with a wheelbarrow full of ammo no matter what you chose. Heh, Doomguy and Doomboy :-p

In unarmed combat however, no human could match even the weakest imp (they'd probably be at least as strong and agile as chimps, and fucking with them would get you badly gutted as if you fought vs a rabid wolf). Taking on demons/barons etc. would be like messing with lions and bears barehanded: not a good idea if you love your limbs. Zombies could probably be taken with white/blunt weapons, unless they also bit and clawed (as they do in Romero films).

Super Jamie said:

Is that thing also known as the AA-12 recoilless shotgun? That thing kicks so much ass. I'd want that to fight IRL Doom monsters, it'd be like a real life shotgun.deh :P

While it looks badass I hate to think how much muzzle velocity has been sacrified in order to make it recoilless.

GreyGhost said:

While it looks badass I hate to think how much muzzle velocity has been sacrified in order to make it recoilless.

The "recoilless" designation is actually bullshit: it's not any more "recoilless" than any gas blowback semi-auto shotgun (as it uses gas blowback itself) and muzzle velocities are in the typical range for an semi-auto shotgun (1150-1200 fps with standard 70mm, 36 gr birdshot/pellet ammunition). True recoilless guns use rocket propelled projectiles or a double-counterweight projectile system. A conventional barrel + breech assembly with recoil dampening != recoilless.

If anything, it's heavier than most hunting semi-autos, especially when fully loaded with large magazines, and has a heavier bolt/breech assembly than hunting shotguns, which contributes to the recoil dampening. Even a G3A4/A4 assault rifle has a barely felt recoil.