Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Russia test fires missle and UFO enthusiasts go insane. (And we get pretty light >.<)

That's very pretty. What makes it spiral and glow like that? I think that looks really cool.

Gez said:

There's nothing truly innovative in a cell phone. Nothing revolutionary. Nothing new. These things have only become prevalent recently because what they needed to really work was infrastructure -- building all the relays and satellites needed to transmit cell phone traffic. That took a long time, but not really in R&D, mostly simply in raising money and building antennas. And of course, the time needed to get several companies interested in developing that market, so that they cell phones get mass produced and become cheap.

Yes there is. In order for it to work they had to invent a scheme to seamlessly switch them between the "cell" centered around those towers. The beginnings of it were actually pioneered in the 40s and became those phones the rich and important had in their cars. Those networks were very small and could never handle more than a handful of calls at most. The proper invention of cell phones was at the end of the 70s and it requires some clever technology.

The only area where the military is ever decades ahead of anything is in the weapons they carry. That's mostly because they're the only ones allowed to carry those sorts of weapons in many cases, or even just the only ones able to afford building them. Tactical lasers are expensive and all. Even then, they're not some mysterious technology; they just have so many devils in the details that they're hard to build.

And of course it's true the military always has some story. That's even plainly obvious with this story. The Russians don't want to talk much about their missile test. Some of the reasons for that are obvious, and some probably not.

Aliotroph? said:

In order for it to work they had to invent a scheme to seamlessly switch them between the "cell" centered around those towers. The beginnings of it were actually pioneered in the 40s and became those phones the rich and important had in their cars. Those networks were very small and could never handle more than a handful of calls at most. The proper invention of cell phones was at the end of the 70s and it requires some clever technology.

In other words, it's old technology and all it required was the development of suitable infrastructure. Exactly what I said.

Gez said:

In other words, it's old technology and all it required was the development of suitable infrastructure. Exactly what I said.

Way to shit on all of the computer scientists who developed the protocols and infrastructure.

Patrick said:

That's very pretty. What makes it spiral and glow like that? I think that looks really cool.

This appears to explain it pretty well. Could be totally wrong, but it seems pretty solid to me:

exp(x) said:

Way to shit on all of the computer scientists who developed the protocols and infrastructure.

They did a fine work, but that does not mean that the military now has technology that won't be available to the public before 2060 because there were some cell phone prototype concepts in the 1940s.

Gez said:

They did a fine work, but that does not mean that the military now has technology that won't be available to the public before 2060 because there were some cell phone prototype concepts in the 1940s.

I can agree with that.

Visplane Overflow said:

And I mean laid for real, don't even try to bullshit me.

Yeah he's married, but baseless personal attacks are the best possible way to uphold your argument, I suggest you keep doing that. People will think you're the coolest person on board.

Gez said:

Just trying to make a point. Kinda like (early ideas of)computers, civilians where slowly inventing it, but it was classified because of the military. It caused problems (1935 through 1952) because there was arguments over who and when certain things where invented, because of the international situation. <--- Hopefully that cleared up what I was trying to say.

Use3D said:

Yeah he's married, but baseless personal attacks are the best possible way to uphold your argument, I suggest you keep doing that. People will think you're the coolest person on board.

I bet Visplane has never gotten "laid" anyways.

Use3D said:

Marriage makes a man a man? Marriage is too often for pussies that compromise because they're frightened of being alone. I don't need to 'uphold my argument' anyway, as I've already won every argument past, present and future by not giving two squirts of piss about what little people think. That is what makes me better than you. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep because someone disagrees with me over the internet - and that's the last time I should ever need to say that. I'm not giving you anymore attention.

What's with all this talk of cell phones anyway? I thought this was a thread about missiles and UFOs (or at least about needless flames).

As for what Aliotroph said, I sincerely doubt that any military force has been 'decades' ahead of anyone else's weapons technology - at the end of world war 2, nuclear secrets spread like wildfire. How about the earliest firearms - it wasn't long before every country had their own musket. Planes as well became commonplace almost as quickly as they were invented - nobody is hiding any 'secrets' from you, or anyone else, and even if somebody did want to keep something secret, it would never work in today's age of easy information exchange.

Naive and arrogant. Gotta love it. Since you have all the answers what is at area 51 and what do they do there?? There is no secrets?

Visplane Overflow said:

I thought this was a thread about... needless flames.

That it is, and you've contributed more than your fair share. :P

Visplane Overflow said:

Marriage makes a man a man? Marriage is too often for pussies that compromise because they're frightened of being alone.

Wait, are you replying to posts in this thread? I was a little unsure how you somehow pulled the hippie crap out of the original post, but now I'm pretty sure you're reading a different thread than everyone else.

Visplane Overflow said:

Marriage makes a man a man? Marriage is too often for pussies that compromise because they're frightened of being alone.

No, that's using "get yourself laid" as an argument.

Visplane Overflow said:
I'm not giving you anymore attention.

And I'll help you with that!