Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AveryMaurice

Does this sound like a good idea?

I don't know if it is or not worth spending time making a quick mod/WAD for, so tell me what you think. Its been a while since I worked on a Doom project besides the ASL from awhile ago.

Kind of like Counter-Strike, you play special ops with new, modern day weapons. It has no singleplayer and like Counter-Strike, is a multiplayer-based realistic combat mod. The maps will feature tactical situations, like warehouses and boats. It will be made for ZDaemon and a server or two could be put up to play it.

What do you guys think?

Doom just isn't built for "tactical" scenarios like this. If you were to try to slow the pace of the game, it'd just feel too constrained. Also, Doom has no logic for head shots or locational damage, meaning combat would inevitably turn out to be the same as any other Doom-based game, just with a tactical "skin" overlaid on top of it, and maybe with reloading or something.

That said, Doom mods can exist that are still essentially Doom but with a tactical "flavour," so a project like this could potentially work if you work with Doom's engine instead of fight against it. I should also note, though, that the reason I know this is because it's already been done, probably more than once. Twilight Warrior came to my mind right away.

Besides, why would someone play an attempt at a tactical multiplayer shooter in Doom when they could just buy a "real" tactical shooter and play that?

Jodwin said:

Besides, why would someone play an attempt at a tactical multiplayer shooter in Doom when they could just buy a "real" tactical shooter and play that?

Yes, especially considering that about 75% of FPS games released these days fall under that category.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Yes, except for the ZDaemon part.