Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
XDelusion

Elevator Switch problem

Ok I want to add a wall texture with a switch a couple of feet above the floor, but when I add in the switch wall texture, I have switches running all the way up to the ceiling. My room has a floor of 0 and a ceiling of 256, and just want ONE switch on the wall about level to the player's face, how do I fix this?

Thankx!

Make your texture 256 units tall. If it's smaller (which it is right now, I guess) DooM will tile it vertically.

You can easily change your texture's height in XWE, WinTex or DeePSea (or any other wad editing tool with a texture/patch editor).

Or just put another very thin sector in front of the linedef with the switch, making it's ceiling height as high as the top of the switch texture.

Or put it another way, what you do is draw a little "box" attached to the main line on the "back" side, that contains a new sector inside of which you put the switch texture.

Let's if your area is 256 tall (sector floor=0 ceiling=256). So you tack on the back of the linedef a little sector that's floor=32, ceiling = 64, giving you a switch box 32 up and 32 tall. Depth (how far you draw it into the wall) is about 8, width is whatever you need, probably 32.

Doesn't really matter what the height of the main sector is. Only thing that would change in the above for different areas is a relative change in floor and ceiling heights to take care of where the actual sector floor started. So if the floor was at 12, then the switch sector would be floor=44 and ceiling = 76, meaning the height of the switch sector is still 32 (I added 12 to the numbers).

To get a stock switch texture to "fit" in there, you'll need to use X and Y offsets - that shifts the texture left/right and up/down so just the switch shows.

Also on the main wall, unpeg the upper and lower textures, otherwise the main wall textures won't look right. Then you also need to X align the outside textures so they look smooth.

To get a stock switch texture to "fit" in there, you'll need to use X and Y offsets - that shifts the texture left/right and up/down so just the switch shows.

Thank you, you've just solved all of my editing problems. That's why the damn lights were never aligned correctly...hmm

Thankx for all the help, I'll take these into consideration with my 3D floors which happen to be there as well. I'm sure I'll come up with something, though some of this really sounds like German to me, guess I need to take a little time out of editing and freshen up on my DOOM lingo as well.

The little switch box already described is probably the best, and most useful way (it was done loads of times in Heretic) but there is another you may find useful at some point.

Put a switch texture on a 2 sided line just in front of the wall, and make that line the switch line. Doom does not tile textures put on the middle of a 2 sided line, so the switch will only be drawn once. Use the Y offsets to move the switch to the correct height. Short switches (like SW1COMM work well for this). You are best not to use this in levels intended for vanilla doom.exe as it has problems drawing multipatch textures (like switches) on 2 sided lines.

The sector the switch is in has to be the same height as the texture so that if the texture is 128 pixels tall then the ceiling has to be 128 pixels tall.

Although I have seen levels with different lower texture from the upper texture lined up on the same wall I could never understand how that is done. But the method I gave you is common way to do it.