Ninjalah

Doombuilder worth mentioning?

Worth mentioning?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Worth mentioning?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Depends on who the company is.

...as a sort of skill/experience if someone was applying for a Game Development Company?

I want to know because I've used Open Source to make Counter Strike maps, and that didn't seem too different from Doombuilder at all. My question is that are those two worth mentioning as 'experience' for qualifying for a video game development job?

*Note: All of my threads from now on will have a poll of some sorts. That will be all.

Ninjalah said:

Note: All of my threads from now on will have a poll of some sorts. That will be all.

Why?

I guess it couldn't hurt to say you've worked with various tools to further hone your development skills. If anything it could show your dedication to the gaming community, which at the same time may be something game companies don't want to see.

No.

As impressive as your mapping skills may be, the interviewer won't be impressed by a 16-year-old game.

Mr. Freeze said:

No.

As impressive as your mapping skills may be, the interviewer won't be impressed by a 16-year-old game.

On the flip side, if he's done some impressive stuff with such a primitive engine, the company might be interested.

Krispavera said:

Why?

Why not? There aren't many polls on this forum, might as well be that 'poll guy'.

As much as I would want to use this as experience, I'm only 15 anyways, so by the time I get a chance to get a job like this, the game will be 26+ years old. :P Just curious though.

Being able to use some level editing software isn't going to wow a game exec.

Indeed. That said, being able to use it extremely well just might wow a good gaming exec. If you make something awesome with it then stick that in the portfolio. By awesome I mean something that lots of people will agree is awesome. There are a lot of maps for DOOM that are genuinely more interesting than stuff from the average newer game. If you can make that kind of map then it's worth it. Good design is good design.

Ninjalah said:

Why not? There aren't many polls on this forum, might as well be that 'poll guy'.

Yeah, and keep it up, and soon you will become that "banned guy".

avery1555 said:

Yeah, and keep it up, and soon you will become that "banned guy".

Getting banned for having relevant polls for my threads? That's not in the rules...

So is it more of the detail put into the map rather than the game/program the map is being made in/for that may get an exec.'s eye?

avery1555 said:

I'm pretty sure about 5. Doesn't poll spamming count as spamming though?

Yes, but as long as his threads stay with reasons for those polls, there should be no problem.

Besides; I really see no polls here anyway.

Yes, I think listing level-editing experience is a relevant inclusion when applying for a job at a game developer.

I don't really think the game matters so much as the fact that editing your own mods in your own time shows both initiative and creativity which are very important factors and may place you above other candidates.

Listing two different engines would also work in your advantage, as it shows you are adaptable, capable of expanding your skills, and implies you can take skills learnt in one situation and apply them to another.

Nobody will care if you're editing Doom/Source/Quake/GoldenEye/Jetpack/Mario, the fact that you go out of your way to pursue your passion is what counts.

I doubt that listing experience with an editing program is going to impress anyone.

You need to show these people what you made, not how you made it. If you claim experience with working with some software but have nothing to show it might easily backfire.

They won't care about someone being able to use a sector based engine. They might look at the layout, flow and aesthetics if you're lucky, but you'd need to have 3D engine experience to go with it.

You will be The Poll Guy II

Liamthebard was the first one, but that was so long ago the board didn't HAVE polls! He still posted them though.

It is worth mentioning, perhaps, in a "hobbies and pastimes" section of your resume, if it is relevant to the field you are pursuing. Otherwise, not really.

Ninjalah said:

Because REoL is "that poll guy" and he is universally despised even if he technically hasn't really ever done anything wrong. Don't be that guy. You don't want to be that guy. Trust me.

I thought Brandon D. Lade was "that poll guy" - unless he turned out to be REoL under a different account?

I think it's safe to say by now that being the poll guy isn't something that is very special.

Nomad said:

even if he technically hasn't really ever done anything wrong.

He posts, doesn't he?
Anyway, he's not despised. He's just the local scary loon that you don't want to stand to close too on the street, in case this is the day he snaps.

Nomad said:

Because REoL is "that poll guy"

Ok, I still consider myself new here, so may I ask who REoL is? Why is he so damn infamous?

Ninjalah said:

Ok, I still consider myself new here, so may I ask who REoL is? Why is he so damn infamous?

He is known as Georgef551 now (since his original account was banned).

Take a look at any of his recent posts and you'll see why he is " so damn infamous".

It's been said before, but really, don't focus on what tools you can use, focus solely on what you can do with the tools you use. And really, mentioning specific tools could backfire on you. Chances are good that in a game design job, you could be working with custom tools, and so what you'd really need to demonstrate is flexibility, the ability to learn and work with a wide variety of tools.

Graf Zahl said:

You need to show these people what you made, not how you made it. If you claim experience with working with some software but have nothing to show it might easily backfire.

Right, like going into an interview saying you know how to use Word. It's pretty much assumed you have familiarity with editing software. Knowing how to use software that's already available to you like the Source editor isn't special. Making you own tools, game engines, or resources that change the entirety of the game is going to leave a much better impression, like if you walked in there with Action Doom2 in your portfolio.

Nuxius said:

He is known as Georgef551 now

I know exactly who you're talking about. Didn't he have the elevator fetish a couple months back? *attempts joke* Only REoL tough men can stomach an elevator fetish. I'M ON THE BANDWAGON YEAH!!!

WildWeasel said:

I thought Brandon D. Lade was "that poll guy"...

He's still around, nowdays he's spamming up the WIP entries with random bullshit.

I think you'd better master a level editor for 3d games, such as Doom 3, before embarking with it on a game-design trip. That's what most games use nowadays.

printz said:

I think you'd better master a level editor for 3d games, such as Doom 3, before embarking with it on a game-design trip. That's what most games use nowadays.

Is there a Doom 3 level editor? And is it similar to Doom Builder? (if yes)