Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Any musicians here? (picture heavy)

Are there any musicians on Doomworld? I play Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Keys, and Drums. I also create MIDI music and produce.

My bass setup:

Acoustic B200

Ibanez GSR100 w/ Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounders

My dream Bass, the BC Rich Ironbird

Post what you have. Pics preferred.

Maes said:

...are you sure ROTC is for you, son?

Yeah, considering I suck at every instrument. So, no professional music career for me.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

This is what I use to record guitar, primarily. Jackson WRMG Warrior (with EMG-81 at neck-position and EMG-85 at bridge).

This is very similar to my first guitar, with the exception that my Strat is of Mexican origins and has different pickups that I put in myself. I forget what they are at the moment though.

This is my main bass, a slightly different-than-usual Fender Squier.

This is my stompbox. My guitar or bass plugs in here, this thing processes my effects, then it outputs to an amp or USB to my PC.

This is my amp. Not much to say there.

This is all the gear that's come into my possession in the past year:

Recording:
KRK Rokit 5, series 1 with the wood cabs.
AKAI 4000ds Reel to Reel tape recorder (needs new ch 1/3 head)
Presonus FireStudio Project (AWESOME Pre-amps!!)
Presonus Bluetube
Mackie 1604vlz
MOTU MIDI Express Xt (8 in, 8 out)
DOD Dimension 8 (Useless)
Digitech S-100 (Almost useless, awful reverb, delay is usable)
Lexicon MX200 ( :D )

Synth/Drum Machines/Grooveboxes:
2 Roland JX8Ps (See Avatar, pads from hell)
Roland Juno 106 (My fav, nothing can touch it)
Roland Alpha Juno 2 (Kinda thin for analog, hoover machine)
Roland DR-110 (Generic)
Roland R8 (Industrial in a box drum machine)
Ensoniq Mirage (Whopping 128kb of sampling memory, but analog filters)
Ensoniq Mirage Rack (same)
AKAI R-100 (Size of my laptop, 18 drum sounds, lo-fi as hell)
Korg Poly-800 (Custom neon green paint-job, nothing sounds like it)
Korg X5 (80s horror soundtrack machine)
Korg X5d Module
Korg TR-Rack (Shoulda got this before the Triton, way better)
Korg Triton Le 61 (Kinda lousy, actually. Bought into the hype)
Korg DW-6000 (Not as good as the 7, Poly800 on steroids)
Korg DW-8000 (Same as the 6, with 16 waveforms instead of 8)
Korg Electribe ESX-1 (Garbage, had two, both broke. Cheap pots)
Korg Keystation 61
Korg MicroKontrol
Nord Lead 2x Rack (Best digital synth on the market, shits on a Virus. Frequency Modulation that grinds and howls. Resonance a bit oogy, but the low-pass subtracts like no other)
Novation A-Station (Same framework as the V-Station VSTi in a rack, very bubbly, love it)
EMU Proteus (Garbage rompler rack unit)
EMU Dance Planet (see above)
Yamaha TX81z (Cheap FM synth, great basses)
Yamaha TX16w (Custom job, three megs onboard sampling time.. great filters)
Yamaha DX-200 (Same as the DX-7 but way, way nicer)
M-Audio Axiom 61 (Won it for top recording sales in 2008)
Multivox Electric Piano (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds sounding)
1889 Cornish Reed Organ (Found in an attic, turned into a MIDI controller)

Amps/Cabs/Pedals:
Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss OS-2
Line 6 Pod 2.0
Line 6 Pod XT
Ampeg Reverberocket (Better than a Fender Twin, all day long)
Mesa Boogie Tripple Rec w/ 4x12 Recto cab (Hated it)
Mesa Amp Switch
1960ish Guild Thunderbass head (Attic find, awesome for retro recording)
Yamaha 2x10 Cab
Peavey 4x12ms

Guitars / Basses:
Ibanez SDGR bass (My baby, first bass.. seen a lot of shows)
Ibanez Acoustic Bass
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wylde (Got it for free, ditched it for the Prophecy)
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy EX
Fender Stratocaster (mex)
Fender Stratocaster w/ custom trans green finish (mex)
Fender Telecaster (mex)
1967 Ideal Semi-Hollow (Attic find, trans green. Made by Guild for Sears in the 60's during their 'Product in every isle' campaign.)
1986 BC Rich Warlock NJ (Had the original Floyd Rose STOLEN by a repair shop while it was out for a SETUP(!!!!) Replaced with a licensed By Floyd Rose bridge. Got to trade it in for another guitar at the shop to shut me up)

It's been a good year.

I generally play drums, and a little guitar. I tend to be more "gifted" with the composing aspect than the actual playing part.

Fisk said:

This is what I use to record guitar, primarily. Jackson WRMG Warrior (with EMG-81 at neck-position and EMG-85 at bridge).

*DROOOOL*

My friend Travis has the Randy Rhoads flying V version of that; same tiger stripe and color and everything, and off the top of my head the same hardware (pickups, floyd-rose, etc) too. It's beautiful.

I own an acoustic guitar (Washburn D8 series), a keyboard (old Yamaha from like 1990), and a harmonica. I'm not very good with any of them, though I know enough to BS a few simple tunes. I've been told I'm fairly good with Fruity Loops, though, and I'm an excellent vocalist (I think). My friend and I have contemplated starting a band.

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now but I've only ever owned two different guitars. I'm not quite as "into it" as most serious musicians are. I just play around with it to have fun. :>

I own an ESP Viper 400 and a Line 6 Spider III amp.

That pretty much gets me through the day.

Krispavera said:

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now but I've only ever owned two different guitars. I'm not quite as "into it" as most serious musicians are. I just play around with it to have fun. :>

I own an ESP Viper 400 and a Line 6 Spider III amp.

That pretty much gets me through the day.

I just bought a Viper 100 and it's my first guitar. I didn't want to get anything too expensive for my first guitar. I like it so far but the low E string buzzes a little but that could be me not knowing how to play properly yet. I'm also thinking of getting a 15 watt Line 6 Spider IV, my brother has one and likes it.

Krispavera said:

I have a Martin D-28 12 as my primary acoustic.

And a Rickenbacker 650D

I also have a cheap Hofner Icon I use to lay down poor bass tracks.

I have a few Midi controllers and stock holds of programs. I also use Reason allot for drums and keys.

I'm training to be a Studio engineer so I use a majority of the programs e.i. Pro Tools, Logic etc.

I don't have an Amp at the moment but I'd love to pick up a Fender Twin or Vox AC30. I have to conserve my cash for a Digi002 and some monitors.

I play guitar and sing. Mostly metal, grunge, rockabilly/psychobilly and the blues.

Dime Stealth

*Dont have the Warhead amp. Wish I did. lol

Grestch Double Cutaway

*Switched out the clear pick guard for a white one.

Marshall MG4 Series MG30FX

More or less my setup these days. I have some other effect pedals, guirats and amp's. But those are my mainstays.

Technician said:

I can assume you're a Dimebag fan.

What gave you that idea?

Well if it was not for listening to Cowboys From Hell as a kid I don't think I would have ever picked up a guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/deldelda/pictures/gear

Ibanez RG 320 DX QM, Ibanez RG-7321 seven string, and a Line 6 Spider III 150-watt amp. All I'll ever need.

I'm big into progressive rock and progressive metal, and I also write music. I've only written a handful of complete songs in MIDI format on Guitar Pro, but they're all epically long.

Anyone else here use Guitar Pro? I can link to the .gp5 files if anyone wants to see my writing style. Heck, I could upload .mid files if anyone wants to hear it =P

I'm jealous of everyone's equipment. I seriously want to know how you guys afford all that.

In related news, a friend of mine (the one who wants to start a band) gave me a pick and a tuner for Xmas. My guitar has a built-in tuner, but I've been thinking of getting an electric bass if I have the funds. Maybe this is a sign that I should proceed with that plan.

Danarchy said:

I'm jealous of everyone's equipment. I seriously want to know how you guys afford all that.

My formula:

1. Buy later in the month, music gear is the first thing to go when rent is due. The later it is, the cheaper you can get it for.

2. Musicians think their Mexi Strat is worth gold, but in the real world, it's steel and wood.

3. Respond to ads on Craigslist, Ebay is a waste of time. Be patient, what you want will eventually show up. Respond to the ad, bring HALF of what they're asking for in smaller bills. They'll call you a mother-fucker and a cheat, but 90% of the time they'll take it. They're stupid enough to give up their gear for dirt cheap, then they deserve to lose it.

Another method is piggybacking. Hoard pedals, mics, cheap mixers, things of that nature. People will sell a Boss DS-1 for $10, which retails for $50, which will get you $25-30 on a trade-in at a music store. Get a collection going and dump it off at your local Guitar Center, Daddy's, Sam Ash ect. Know that the employee WILL try to fuck you and give you 30% value, they're required to give 60% on a trade, but will skim to get a larger cut of the commission when the gear they brought in sells. Call them on it, let them know you know how much they're supposed to give out. Also know that their goal, no-matter WHAT is to make the deal(!!!). Even at GC, haggle them to DEATH. Let them know your cash will walk our the door. You WILL get a deal, just ask!

It's also a good idea to not let them know how you're paying. The employee is less likely to hand over a deal if they know they're going to spend the next two hours cleaning and entering in your trade items. Once the deal is secure: "You guys take trade-ins, right?".

Music gear is NOT worth what it's priced at, really. Especially used gear. Also, get warranties. I know it sounds like they're fucking you and, yes, if you don't use it they are. But use it. Break the cold-solder joints yourself and get a check-up / refurbishing for what, $15? If you throw enough of a stink, they'll do a warranty repair if you spilled a glass of Kool-Aid into your gear.

^ I admire this. Ed, the cutthroat, business-savvy musician.

I'm never comfortable haggling for anything. I just pay asking price. Sometimes I get tricked into buying something extra, too. At least I'm learning to keep receipts.

I own a Bach Stradivarius model 37.

Haven't played it in a while...

THREAD HIJACK: I need to get back into music, but the trumpet is too strongly tied to its genres. I also have some piano experience, but, living away from home, I don't have access to my dad's 9-foot grand, upright, player piano (broken, sadly), harpsichord, clavichord, electric keyboards, pump organ or pipe organ.* ** I obviously don't have the space for anything "real" or even the money for anything but a mid- or low-end keyboard. I really want something with a decent sound, range of keys and tactile feel while still being stowable. Does anyone have any recommendations?

*If anyone's actually interested in brands, models and pictures I can get those over Christmas break.
**To be fair, the harpsichord isn't really his.

Yeah, sadly I can't haggle. I'm too non-threatening and I look like a dupe, though in reality I'm a very hard sell. This means that I won't get screwed over, but also that I'm never able to make things go my way. I still don't trust either Craigslist or eBay.

I play drums but don't own a kit, I use the college one (so it's a little walk but w/e). I make fruityloops music as well. I'm going to get a midi input keyboard soon, anybody have any ideas about which one to get? I want to go under $100.

Creaphis said:

I need to get back into music, but the trumpet is too strongly tied to its genres.

Not always? ---> Thoughtstreams

My music: myspace.com/timeofdeath

The drums are really old. My friend sold them to me in 2003 and he got them almost 10 years before that. The ride cymbal is the same one that he had when I bought them, but the hi-hats, china, crash, and the double-bass pedal are only a few years old. The amp is about 8 years old. The newest guitar is the dark green Jackson, it's a few years old. I started playing guitar in 1996 and drums in 2002/2003. These days I play drums almost every day, but only play guitar when I write a new song and practise it. I also have a cheapy effects processor for the guitar, but I don't use it (I just use the amp sound now).

There is also a musician that made very good songs, but hasn't yet been here. He wasn't liked that much, but he sure has changed by now. I mean Daniel! Here is his wad with his great musician work. Of course he also has a keyboard, e-guitar and so on.