Sign in to follow this  
flubbernugget

Would it be worth it if...

Would it be worth the time?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be worth the time?

• Yes
    • No

Aren't there like 4000 positions for a 64x64 graphic on the 64x64 grid?

Use3D said:

Why couldn't anyone just do this themselves? It takes 5 seconds.

I can't beat that time. I tried and tried and tried but it takes me about 17 seconds at least.

40oz said:

I can't beat that time. I tried and tried and tried but it takes me about 17 seconds at least.

After 4 attempts (all of which took 17 seconds) I managed to get an already extracted graphic of GATE1 offset by 32x32 saved in 14 seconds.

Anyway. Yes, lots of people have done it before when they needed it, it doesn't take long, there are too many offset possibilities to make it a viable project (IMO) and some ports support offsetting flats by various means anyway.

I vote not worth it.

It doesn't.

A few seconds per flat variant. It should take a while per flat for all the variants, there's more than one flat to do, and it would create a lot of variants no one would need in a very large WAD with no real creative content.

If anyone were to need one or two variants for an occasion, they could just make the specific ones they need in a few seconds.

And with that many possibilities, it would probably take longer to select the ready made one every time you needed one that it would to make one yourself.

Seriously, it's a well meant idea but it's not really a worthwhile endeavour.

Enjay said:

After 4 attempts (all of which took 17 seconds) I managed to get an already extracted graphic of GATE1 offset by 32x32 saved in 14 seconds.

I'm loving that you actually did this.

do each gate to all the combinations of 16 grid. I don't feel like doing the math, but that's a lot of combos. 45?

I just do this on a case-by-case basis as it's needed, and work around it in the cases where it's not really necessary (i.e. "does this *have* to be in this exact spot, or can I just move it over a bit to line up with the grid?"). KDiKDiZD has tons of them for differently-aligned bordered lights and such, heh.

There was 3 red teleporter textures offset by 32 units in the Claustrophobia texture pack. (iirc). One offset upwards, the other offset sideways, and one offset both ways.

Hardly worthwhile unless you have a specific project in mind and with several ports now supporting the alignment of flats to linedefs there's likely to be little demand for a wad full of customised teleport flats.