Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

Which of these six old classic megawads is best?

Which old classic megawad is the best?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which old classic megawad is the best?

• Memento Mori
    • Memento Mori 2
    • Requiem
    • Hell Revealed
    • Eternal
    • Icarus

Hell Revealed is not loved for it's architecture.

myk said:

The detail, size and other aspects of its levels would have been hard to imitate early on for various reasons, including tools, knowledge of the technical aspects of the DOOM games (because of the source release but also the years of COMPET-N experience and the like), as well as processor power. Even gameplay is affected, after so many years of looking up details and specifics. Port stuff also affected what people would expect from a WAD in other respects, such as how much detail and where to place it.

WADs like Alien Vendetta, The Darkening II, Suspended in Dusk and Plutonia 2 can all be set apart from early WADs due to this.

I see you're point.

Memento Mori just feels dated to me today, but its sequel and requiem are still a great set of maps. I could never get into Icarus or Eternal Doom, I'm not sure why! HR however is by far the best of the pack. While architecturally it can be rather plain, the gameplay rules the roost.

myk said:

Since when does bigger mean better? (Aside from cocks, of course.)

Actually, the cocks analogy may be spot on. Above a certain size, they require too much blood to become erect. Eternal levels are thus akin to a twenty-inch cock: very impressive, but the climax is nearly impossible to reach and takes too much in the way of effort and resources.

Regarding AV, the point of this thread was to discuss *early* classic megawads, I believe. If you're going to throw AV into the mix, then you also need to consider other more recent classic-style megawads, such as KS, HR2, Pl2, Vile Flesh, TVR!, et al. In which case this just becomes yet another "favourite megawad" thread.

Hell Revealed stays for me as most legendary wad of all the time. And I absolutely disagree about its "bad" architecture. Most of HR maps became legendary due to their simple unique architecture perfectly connected with original gameplay ideas. And the term "HRish gameplay" came into being due to HR's hardcore gameplay.

Grazza said:

Eternal levels are thus akin to a twenty-inch cock

I believe I saw this analogy on the SAT.

The original MM still stands the test of time. The thing I liked best about MM2 was definitely the music. Klem and Tolwyn kicked a ton of ass writing MIDIs for Doom... I should download that bugger and replay it soon...

for gameplay: hr
for looks: mm2
for real: favabeans (i've played this thing over the years far more than any other wad)

I suppose six years isn't really all that old in terms of doom. My real vote would probably go for MM2. The architecture, music, and gameplay were all pleasing. Back in the day I only played the first few levels of Hell Revealed, but never got to far into it because I would get my ass kicked all over the place. Nevertheless, both great megawads.

As for Icarus, I remember having great expectations for Icarus after playing the first map, but after dwelling through the second and third, I got bored of it pretty quickly.

Hell Revealed, this was my first wad so i mite be a little biased but extremely challenging wad! I really enjoyed the levels because they could never be masters, this means that no matter how good i get this will always be a challenge! And if some how uv gets to easy i can always ad (my favorite) the -fast command and then it really gets unplayable! However, HR (Rise of the Triad style) music was DAMN ANNOYING but yet had a special tutch to it that made me some how end up like-ing it in the end some how...

Sorry I did not know about that. But even though it is against guidelines, is it against the rules? And what I mean by that is can you Banned for "bumping"?

I'd have to say either Memento Mori 1 or 2. It's hard to choose.

EDIT: Damn, I didn't see this was an old thread. Sorry.