Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the_bookman

How does doom95 save configurations?

Okay, so this is really irritating me.

I have doom95 saved on a CD rom, I am running doom95 to play doom off the CD rom, I have not saved or installed it to my computer.

Now, as you all know, doom95 lets you choose the starting level. But here is where things start to defy the laws of physics.

I will choose my level to play, play it, then eventually exit the game, and then remove the disk. Then I will come back the next day, reinsert the disk to run doom95 and magically it some how remembered what level I chose to start at last time. because that very level is in the choose level pulldown menu.

How the phuck does it do this? In order to remember this, it must save some file somewhere in the same directory doom95 is running, yet doom95 is running of a CD rom and there is no burning or files being burned to the disk. The disc is finalized AND my cd drive isnt burning anything when I run doom95.

How the phuck is this happening? IT defies the laws of physics! can someone explain this to me?

Also, when I beat a level on episode 4 of ultimate doom, where it shows the finished level stats, instead of showing a wall of skeletal faces like it is supposed to do, it instead shows the map from episode 1 (the moon with all the stations and buildings on it). and it says "Hangar finished" instead of "hell beneath finished" like it is supposed to.

Like what the hell is going on here with this doom95?

the_bookman said:

How the phuck does it do this? In order to remember this, it must save some file somewhere in the same directory doom95 is running

Welcome to 2009 (soon 2010). That has ceased being the rule ever since Windows 95.

Maes said:

Welcome to 2009 (soon 2010). That has ceased being the rule ever since Windows 95.

Actually. Doom has always been able to run off of the CD directly. (ever since they made a CD version anyway) It just saved any additional info to c:\doomdata. But the first releases of Doom did this regardless of if it was on the harddrive or not.

kristus said:

Actually. Doom has always been able to run off of the CD directly. (ever since they made a CD version anyway) It just saved any additional info to c:\doomdata. But the first releases of Doom did this ************ of if it was on the harddrive or not.

Yes, but I was referring to the "convention" back in the DOS and Windows 3.1 days whereas every program saved its own data in its own folder as a CFG or INI file or, worse, under C:\WINDOWS or C:\DOS with no checks for consistency, name collisions, etc. let alone deleting it after uninstallation. Many apps wrote something to the .ini anyway and so barfed when ran off CD-ROM or from a read-only directory, but that's another story. MS eventually set the Registry as "good norm" and then Docs & Settings, but you still see the oddball piece of software that can't handle read-only media gracefully even today.

LOL btw Kristus, your post contains one "Bloodsheddered" word. It appears normally only in your post during normal view (perhaps because you're an admin?), but it appears censored everywhere else, including my reply, the edit box of such reply and even the topic review.

I'm guessing kristus fixed the word after you quoted. The censored "word" is irregardless, which is a silly contradiction of terms that ends up meaning the opposite of what's intended. I'm not sure, but I think Ling implemented that. I'm pretty sure it's been around for a long time, maybe before BS got to be an admin.