Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mivalekan

Detached-sector monster teleport ambushes

How do you create monster teleport ambushes where the monsters sit in detached sectors? I've looked through various tutorials and looked at maps like Deus Vult map03, but I can't figure out how to create these kinds of ambushes.

The main issue isn't in making teleporters and the traps themselves; the actual question is how to get the monsters to activate.

I put mine in scrolling teleporters like this: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/763258

You put a door in the scrolling sector which stops the monster from getting to the teleport line.

When the player walks over a linedef or flicks a switch, open the door. The monster then scrolls to the teleporter. As long as they are in sight of the player (Boom, ZDoom) or in a sector the player has previously wakened (Boom) they will be active.

Thanks, that will be handy for me later.

The issue is that I've started this map in just "Heretic" in doombuilder. I was originally designing this for the Heretic Community Chest, but at this point it's far too large and detailed to be appropriate, and it won't be done in time for its deadline.

I've tried converting it to Heretic in Hexen format, but GZDoom/Skulltag crash any time I try to run the map.

Another way to do this, which is fully vanilla compatible:

Make your little detached monster box with all the triggers and teleport lines etc etc. Let us say this is Sector 2.

Now in another part of the level, the player walks through sector 1, shooting at various monsters that are there. Attach a little sector to detached sector 2, and then merge that little sector with sector 1, so that it is now also sector 1. The monsters in the detached sector 2 will hear all the sounds fired in sector 1 by the player, and will wake up. When the doors are opened in sector 2 and the monsters are released into the main level, they will be alerted and ready to go.

(Make sure that sector 1 and 2 have some height in common (eg the floor of sector 1 is not higher than the ceiling of sector 2 or something like that.))

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

Yup, that's the way I do it. Just make sure at least part of the area your hidden monsters are in is merged with a sector where the player will make some noise. The monsters will wake up as soon as he does and then all you have to do is open a door at some point to let the monsters wander across a teleport line.

Want an example?

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/examples/montelpt.zip

Should work in all Doom ports including Choco/Vanilla.

:)

Heh, I remember in a good number of extremely old wads, authors would physically connect the "monster teleport rooms" to the level, via small tunnels and such. You'd look at the map and see this strange line or something going off into the distance, and spend hours trying to figure out what it is and how to get in there.

Years later when I started editing myself I realized these were just for the sake of connecting normal-level-areas to the teleport-rooms so that the monsters would wake up from player noises ;-P

Id themselves did a lot of these "sound tunnels" in the standard maps. For example, the one in E1M9 is quite easy to notice.

As is the one in map01, though it's for a slightly different reason (to wake up the imps and have them open the secret door to allow them into the play area).

Sigh.

That's what most people have been saying isn't necessary anymore. Merged sectors are much neater.

That might be what he's talking about, Enjay. In most editors I've used, the only difference between merging and joining is that one preserves any lines that originally separated them (i.e. [ | ] vs [ ]).

I think when Enjay says "merged" he is referring to the separated monster room sharing a sector number with an actual part of the level where the player will make noise...

Yeah, Kyka described it, as well, though esselfortium meant Mivalekan might be saying he got it, but his wording is ambiguous, as you can "join sectors" in the more rudimentary and limited (thus mostly not recommended) way you described earlier.

myk said:

ambiguous

Hmmmm, true. Perhaps I was sighing without cause. My apologies if I was. ;)

Mivalekan said:

Someone showed me how to do it.

The trick is to join the monster sector with a sector in the room. :]

I also use "join sectors". But make sure the player fires a weapon in that sector though, otherwise he can just run past it and nothing will teleport in, which 1) makes it easier, and 2) 100% kills isnt possible.

I`ve used a closed starting room, and the only way of getting out is a door with G1 tag. (Gunfire to open, once). Its kinda obvious, but it works :P