Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkman 4

Stuttering problem when trying to pick up items in Chocolate Doom while playing UDoom

A few days ago, I got the iD Superpack because it was a good deal and I lost my old Doom IWADS when I moved stuff to my new PC about a year ago. However, I've run into a bit of a problem; whenever I try to pick up an item in Ultimate Doom while running it under Chocolate Doom or the original DOS .exe that comes with the Steam version of the game, my game stutters for about two or so seconds. After that, the black box around my screen starts flashing the colors that appeared while picking up the item.

Does anyone know what's going on?

You're very welcome. I'm just wondering why people are still having this problem when this was supposedly fixed 8 months ago. Has another version of Chocolate Doom not come out since the fix?

DuckReconMajor said:

You're very welcome. I'm just wondering why people are still having this problem when this was supposedly fixed 8 months ago. Has another version of Chocolate Doom not come out since the fix?

The last stable build, 1.21, was released about a year ago.

I'd suggest trying the revision builds as they contain hundreds of different bugfixes and general improvements to the inner workings of the code since 1.2.1. They crash sometimes, but it's much rarer than you'd expect.

You might also want to take a look at the raven-branch; it's basically Hexen and Heretic support, which you should have due to having the Superpack. It's still a work in progress, but single player is quite stable and fully playable.

mammajamma said:

I'd suggest trying the revision builds as they contain hundreds of different bugfixes and general improvements to the inner workings of the code since 1.2.1. They crash sometimes, but it's much rarer than you'd expect.

You might also want to take a look at the raven-branch; it's basically Hexen and Heretic support, which you should have due to having the Superpack. It's still a work in progress, but single player is quite stable and fully playable.

I'm usually a bit skeptical of using revision builds (the only time I've used revision builds is when ZDoom was going through a ton of changes back in 2005 and that's after a lot of people confirmed the builds were stable), but I'll give it a shot.

I don't know about other projects but in Chocolate Doom the "official" release seems pretty arbitrary. Revisions aren't necessarily less stable, and usually more so. Besides, if you don't use the later versions, you don't properly participate in the bug-fixing process as you miss new issues and get carried away by ones that have been fixed.

At least, always try the latest build before reporting or asking about an issue.

mammajamma said:

Speaking of Raven branch, could someone with Windows please look into this? It's still not fixed.