Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Just finished DOOM 2!

Oh man, what a ride! I'd forgotten how hard DOOM 2 is on ultra-violence. There were times when I considered cheating or even just giving up, but I persevered and beat the whole game (and even found the secret levels -- something I'd never actually done before).

I love DOOM.

DIE-KNOW-MIGHT! NOW YOU'RE REALLY COOKING WITH GAS! AND WITH PLASMA! NOW YOU'RE IN THE BIG LEAGUES BABY!!! WHOOO-HOOO!!!!

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Next up: The Plutonia Experiment!

I would say Evilution next up, then Plutonia. Only because Plutonia is harder, so Evilution will be a more gentle step up.

Intel17 said:

Story wise, which comes first, Plutonia or TNT?

There's a story?

I'd say Scythe 2. ;)

The plots for the two Final Doom eps make no mention of each other whatsoever, so the order in which they occur is up to you. Most of doom's storyline is left up to the imagination anyway.

Well, I ended up playing The Ultimate DOOM. I've made it through Ep1-Ep3 (found all the secret levels, too!) and I'm now blasting my way through E4 (on Map 3 now).

After this, I'll play TNT then Plutonia (I hear that Plutonia's much harder than TNT, so I'll try to build my skills gradually).

I can't believe I never actually played Final DOOM -- I bought the original boxed copy back in '98 or so. It's just been collecting dust :(

Intel17 said:

I can't believe I never actually played Final DOOM -- I bought the original boxed copy back in '98 or so. It's just been collecting dust :(

Don't make me hurt you.

I've been playing Doom since I was 1, sitting in my dad's lap in front of our DOS computer.

16 years later, I've still never finished Doom 2 level by level. I've played them all individually, and can run most of them, but never did a full game run.

I've never played either of final doom other than on Zdaemon Coop servers.

And I only actually did a run of Doom for the first time from start to finish last year = /

How can you really consider yourself a Doom fan without completing all of Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom on Ultra-Violence?

Intel17, I salute you. Have fun.

lupinx-Kassman said:
The plots for the two Final Doom eps make no mention of each other whatsoever, so the order in which they occur is up to you.

Yeah, they're each like tons of PWADS that take off right after DOOM or DOOM II and are essentially oblivious to each other, as if they were alternate realities.

Speaking of sacrilegious confessions, I've only recently played through Plutonia for the first time. Always thought the maps were poor. But in fact they look better than expected and are actually fun. And quite hard in places.

As I recall, at the end of Evilution the story seems like you've won but then mentions a blue glow in the demon-spitter, as if it's not over. Then at the end of Plutonia, the story is more conclusive. I'd say that suggests a proper order. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Maes said:

DIE-KNOW-MIGHT! NOW YOU'RE REALLY COOKING WITH GAS! AND WITH PLASMA! NOW YOU'RE IN THE BIG LEAGUES BABY!!! WHOOO-HOOO!!!!

No matter what, the Doom comic is always relevant.

Intel17 said:

Story wise, which comes first, Plutonia or TNT?

Even there's an alphabetical order, the manual of Final DOOM puts first TNT: Evilution. Perhaps because it's easier and was finished first (AFAIK).

Sadly in the victory messages both episodes are unconnected.

I find Plutonia story just fine, but the in game victory messages of Evilution are poor.

Yeah, I don't know what the Evilution ending is supposed to mean. Does the Doomguy get sent back to Earth? *shrugs*

Evilution would go first in production order as well, since it was pretty much complete when the Casali brothers agreed to make a second megawad.

I wish the final Dooms had more epic and coherence and perhaps uniqueness in them, geez.

OK, I've started to play Final DOOM, beginning with TNT. Oh man, these maps are *amazing*! Finding the secret areas is a blast, too. Why did this game get totally panned in the reviews?

Because it's shit next to the original, IMO.

But yeah, some people really like TNT, even if it's broken to pieces.

Intel17 said:

Why did this game get totally panned in the reviews?

Because it's a map set released in 1996 for a game that's technically 93-94.

Talvi said:

Because it's shit next to the original, IMO.

But yeah, some people really like TNT, even if it's broken to pieces.

Agree - played through it in single player and coop(Psx and PC) but never got a real kick out of it... though a few parts were cool...