Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

RELEASED: Year 22 -A Rock and a Hard Place-

Hey, everyone. You might recognize the format of that title from an earlier WAD released last year. This is the WAD's sequel, which has been much delayed due to unforeseen circumstances outlined in its text file. Whereas the original was quite easy on Ultra-Violence, this one is decidedly not. Remember: If you can't beat it on UV, you can always try the earlier skill levels.

It will be uploaded to idgames/ shortly*, but for now, you can click here to download the file. You'll need to run the WAD with a Boom-compatible port, and warp to MAP02 to play it. This is because it's meant to run directly after Year 21, which is possible if you load Year 21 before Year 22 (i.e. -file YEAR_21.WAD YEAR_22.WAD). Be sure to have music turned on, too. :)

If the start of this level looks familiar to you, it's because I posted a screenshot of it elsewhere.

Have fun!

* EDIT (7:20 PM PST): It's in incoming/ now.
* EDIT (1/2/2010 4:28 PM PST): It's on the HTML frontend now.

Fun map, solid gameplay. Beat it the first try on UV, I didn't think it was too hard. Mostly due to the large amount of health available. The structure of the level also allowed for easy movement which helped a lot. That said there were some tense moments but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Cool map, pretty challenging even on lower skill settings. The stairs with all the torches near the exit look nice. No health or ammo problems, definitely an map suited for the ssg.

First try exit, 9:12

Overall pretty nice, but it felt like the monster placement didn't fully make use of the layout and space. For example, there always was just one group of monsters coming at you from only one direction, which could have been done better. Especially in the starting area where there could have been fights with monsters on the both ledges and/or in the waterfall area at the same time, rather than having just one group on the lower level or just one group on one of the ledges. But that's the only critique I can think of right now.

Really fun map, but I agree with Jodwin. It would have been much more difficult if monsters teleported behind the player as well as in front. You can always tell a hard map when a revenant punches you in the back of the head.

This is the kind of a map I enjoy. Simple design - fun gameplay, it reminds me of early Scythe maps. I didn't find it hard on HMP, so I will definitely try it on UV later. There was a bit too much health to make it challenging, but the ammo was just right. As Jodwin already stated, it would be really nice to have some monsters attack you from behind. Some could spawn in the roundish waterfall area, when you ascend the stairs leading to the blue and yellow key doors. It was fairly easy to make a retreat, if things got a bit harder.

Spoiler

Funny coincidence: After I got the blue key and headed to the blue key door, the music played right at the high-pitched tone at 02:55 and this combined with the revenants' shriek really made me jump. :D

Anyway, nice visuals and gameplay. I look forward to Year 23.

Shotgunner teleporting in through thing 412 or 413 gets him stuck in the wall.

Also, I noticed that some of the ambushes gets a whole lot less dangerous when the monsters can't get to you due to the level geometry. Can't do much about that though.

Da Spadger said:

Shotgunner teleporting in through thing 412 or 413 gets him stuck in the wall.

Hilariously, this only happens in ZDoom and Skulltag. If you use PrBoom+ or Boom itself, this doesn't happen at all. If it did, I would have relocated those teleport spots.

Also, the level will be broken if you try to use Odamex to play it; the monster teleports don't work as intended and the switch in the blue key building has to be "pressed" multiple times to work. This, despite the port listing "BOOM map format support" as one of its features! But then, I intended for this to be a Boom map, through and through; if it's broken in another port, that's their fault, not mine.