Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

---doom model project---

It's not a doom engine, it is just 3d models released for doom engines that can support them. also the sources are released so people can improve and later on export in newer formats that the engines support.
the current released model have bones so they are easy to animate

The model itself looks great. The only thing that bothers me is his face. It looks a bit to cartoony. My suggestion would be that you use a photo of a face thats kinda similiar to the one of the Chaingunner (for example this one of Rob Halford http://blog.silive.com/entertainment_impact_music/2008/08/large_Rob%20Halford.jpg , I could see that working quite well.) and edit to make it fit.

I think the biggest problem by far that people have with designing models of the original monsters, is that their skin looks awfully flat and very low contrast. Put some serious shading into it, use the original sprites for reference if necessary. The face is what players will likely focus on the most, so do a good job of that, and the rest of the model can stand fairly well on it's own as is.

EarthQuake said:

The face is what players will likely focus on the most, so do a good job of that, and the rest of the model can stand fairly well on it's own as is.

EarthQuake said:

and the rest of the model can stand fairly well on it's own as is.

EarthQuake said:

on it's own as is.

EarthQuake said:

it's own

EarthQuake said:

it's

EarthQuake said:

I think the biggest problem by far that people have with designing models of the original monsters, is that their skin looks awfully flat and very low contrast. Put some serious shading into it, use the original sprites for reference if necessary. The face is what players will likely focus on the most, so do a good job of that, and the rest of the model can stand fairly well on it's own as is.

point taken, but I am not the best at making skin textures

@Abyssalstudios1. [sarcasm]thanks for the helpful discussion[/sarcasm]

The model is relatively faithful to the sprite (though the elbow pads look very painful and I wonder where the codpiece is from), but the posture, the posture! Sprited Doomguy is walking, you see that he's leaning forward, and his arms accompany the movement. Modeled Doomguy is standing as if he had a stick up his ass (maybe we've solved the mystery of knowing where he carries all his arsenal) and he's holding his rifle as if he's going to leave it as an offering on some altar, but not as someone would hold a weapon.

Needs some changes:

Change 1: Reduce the size of the elbow pad.
Change 2: The gun should not be high above the wrist, and he is not gripping the handle.

Edit: Edited Change 1.

I downloaded the doomguy model and took a look at it. After poking around I decided not to do any work on the skins because there are too many issues with the model geometry and uvs.

The main problems are due to the way the model has been segmented into chunks; knee pads, helmet and/or visor and the elbows are the more troublesome areas. With the uvs there is a serious amount of stretching around many of the joints when in the idle pose (for example, underneath the knee pads).

Aside from the above and the other issues already mentioned, such as his hold on the weapon, you are off to a great start.

I'll make a small suggestion; by making the knee pads separate geometry from the boots/legs you are limiting the possibilities at the skinning stage. On his front, you could remove the polygons on the back and underside of the knee pads then weld the vertices to the top of the boots/legs. Doing that will allow the texture artist to decide whether the knee pad is part of the boot.

Whoo said:

Needs some changes:

Change 1: There is no belt bag on the sprite that big.
Change 2: The gun should not be high above the wrist, and he is not gripping the handle.

how do you mean about the belt bag?
I am fixing the gun for the next release

DaniJ said:

I downloaded the doomguy model and took a look at it. After poking around I decided not to do any work on the skins because there are too many issues with the model geometry and uvs.

The main problems are due to the way the model has been segmented into chunks; knee pads, helmet and/or visor and the elbows are the more troublesome areas. With the uvs there is a serious amount of stretching around many of the joints when in the idle pose (for example, underneath the knee pads).

Aside from the above and the other issues already mentioned, such as his hold on the weapon, you are off to a great start.

I'll make a small suggestion; by making the knee pads separate geometry from the boots/legs you are limiting the possibilities at the skinning stage. On his front, you could remove the polygons on the back and underside of the knee pads then weld the vertices to the top of the boots/legs. Doing that will allow the texture artist to decide whether the knee pad is part of the boot.

ok, joining the kneepads to the boots
and also going to try make the uv's better
the new uv's will also copy easily to my other models

EarthQuake said:

This might just be me, but I'd prefer not being able to see the Doomguy's face.

easily changed by modifying the texture

next version you might not be able to see his face

KuriKai said:

how do you mean about the belt bag?

The giant bag attached to his belt that the elbow is sticking into.

Whoo said:

The giant bag attached to his belt that the elbow is sticking into.

That's not a bag attached to his belt. That's the elbow pad I believe.

Oh, yeah looks like it is. I'll correct myself: reduce the size of the elbow pad