Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jxeboy

Die Rettung (Wolfenstein Doom Mod) Demo RELEASED!

Hello again!

Over the last few days my editing skills have grown immensely and I am ready to show off the demo for my first wad.

This demo is again themed off of Wolfenstein, but is not an exact copy.

Included in this demo is the first level of the game, and a second level which is just a set of test rooms in which you can try out all of the different guns and fight against the enemies I have made so far.

I play this port with GZdoom, the latest version. It may work with other ports, but I don't support any of them.

I am releasing this for mostly feedback so I can make it the best mod possible, please let me know what you guys think, and what I should change.

Here is the updated download link.
http://rapidshare.com/files/328527595/Rettung_DEMO.zip.html

Below is the original post

Danke
~Jake

Jxeboy said:

Hello everyone,

This is my first mod "Die Rettung"! (The Escape)

I have been playing with the editors for Doom only a couple days now, and I have finished what I think is a pretty solid level. I have set my level in the Wolfenstein theme, and have used many graphics from there. In keeping with the Wolf theme the level is more square then the ones you would usually play. But I have added some things such as round hallways and stairs that would not be found in Wolfenstein.

This level was a big test for me, figuring out how doors work, making levels, brightness, and even just making sure the correct graphics are assigned to the correct surface. I am a former Wolf3d map editor and while this is much more complex I believe I designed a pretty interesting level from my experience there.

So enough chit-chat and here is the file. Its only just over a megabyte download. It contains just 3 files, and a readme, and I would appreciate it if I could recieve some feedback on what people think. If they like it, or if they wish something would be changed/added.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ul6sl

My biggest problem right now is that once the machine gun is attained it is far to easy to gun down the enemies. I will hopefully figure out a way to change this, so that it is a bit harder to kill them.

Thanks to anyone who gives this a look. I appreciate it!

Danke
~Jake

Hi.

I just had a play through this, and the biggest thing I thought was this: This has the potential to be something awesome. But seriously, throw away the idea of making the maps feel like Wolfenstein. The weapons are good. (I especially liked the hybrid MP40/shotgun thing). The new Nazis are very good, and clearly have had quite a bit of work put into them.

But the map itself was a bit dull. I actually played this mod through levels 2, 3 and 4 of standard Doom2 after I finished level 1 of the mod itself, and that was the best part. Don't limit yourself to square, bland looking levels, when you could use lifts, different ceiling and floor heights, windows, open areas, in short, all of the Doom improvements. Use 'em. Use all of 'em, coz this has so much potential. I had a great time blowing away Nazis here. Don't limit what the levels could be! Stairs. Teleport traps. Walls that open to reveal hordes of Nazis. Do it. You know you want to!! I mean keep the Wolfenstein theme, but don't limit yourself to wolfenstein gameplay. That would be a waste.

But keep going with this. The new enemies are very good. (The white uniformed chaingunner and the black uniformed 'imp") as well as the basic soldiers and the SS guys are great.

You could prlbably make the SS guys and the chaingunners a little tougher, but I would leave the two new weapons pretty much as they are

Kyka said:

Hi.

I just had a play through this, and the biggest thing I thought was this: This has the potential to be something awesome. But seriously, throw away the idea of making the maps feel like Wolfenstein. The weapons are good. (I especially liked the hybrid MP40/shotgun thing). The new Nazis are very good, and clearly have had quite a bit of work put into them.

But the map itself was a bit dull. I actually played this mod through levels 2, 3 and 4 of standard Doom2 after I finished level 1 of the mod itself, and that was the best part. Don't limit yourself to square, bland looking levels, when you could use lifts, different ceiling and floor heights, windows, open areas, in short, all of the Doom improvements. Use 'em. Use all of 'em, coz this has so much potential. I had a great time blowing away Nazis here. Don't limit what the levels could be! Stairs. Teleport traps. Walls that open to reveal hordes of Nazis. Do it. You know you want to!! I mean keep the Wolfenstein theme, but don't limit yourself to wolfenstein gameplay. That would be a waste.

But keep going with this. The new enemies are very good. (The white uniformed chaingunner and the black uniformed 'imp") as well as the basic soldiers and the SS guys are great.

You could prlbably make the SS guys and the chaingunners a little tougher, but I would leave the two new weapons pretty much as they are

Thanks for giving it a look! I thought I wasn't going to get anyone. I appreciate the comments, and my levels will end up being much more intricate. I have made so many changes since this wad I have posted here. It hardly looks like the same game.

Hopefully I have something to show for it soon, but I plan on doing atleast 5 levels first.

~Jake

Playing a map from someone who has been Wolf3D mapping is exciting. Kyka gave you some good advice, but I think you're probably already on the way there. Have fun with Doom features. Keep it up.

Thanks for the kind replies. I'm excited to show you guys my newest wad. Not too much longer.

~Jake

Hello everyone. I have updated the first post. I have posted the demo for my mod. Check it out!

~Jake

I don't think having most bad guys fire on sight is a good thing; one opens a door and get's blasted by several Nazi's they can't see because the door is still opening.

DuckReconMajor said:

A lot of doors have this problem. I believe it's because your doorframe lines are two-sided and the back points to some sector out in the void.

Hm, I can't seem to get that to happen. You're saying its because those sectors are double sided?

~Jake

Hm, well that will be easy to change. I play using gzdoom. I put that in the readme, i should probably also mention it here.

DuckReconMajor said:

It does say that, I'm sorry. Yeah, I would put that line in the first post, though I think it would be good to make it work in software ports.

Alright I'll have a look at it. Check your PM's too.

~Jake