Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

HOM Art? (NEW PICS!!)

HOM'art: A tribute.

The field of HOM art has been sadly neglected. But at last, this has been rectified!!1!. Who would have thought the Doom engine was so flexible. (In truth, I was just bored.)

So without further ado...

"Concrete Jungle" (Neo-Industrial)

"Not Enough Brown" (Cubist)

"Rainbow's End" (Impressionism)

"Secret Exit I" (Western Modernism)

"Super Secret Exit II" (Western Modernism)

"SHAWN gets a Haircut" (Neo-Crapfulistic) I do like the ripples on this one.

"Factory 1947" (Digital Media Rendition)

"Ickwall" (Doom Engine Thingy)

"Green On Black" (Minimalist)

"Red On Black" (Minimalist)

"Doomguy In The Void" (Pixelationism)

Ur Welcome.

Pretty trippy stuff, man. But you need to throw in some WOW.WAD in there, or else everything will be in vain.

Art is in the eye of the beholder...

Are there any maps that use HOM deliberately as a stylistic element? I mean in a subtle way - small patches behind broken bricks, for instance. I once had this idea for a Quake map, where it's a less common phenomenon.

Super Jamie said:

Windows Solitaire!

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't really see a HOM being useful for anything at all stylistically speaking. Except an illusio pit of course.

Patrick said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't really see a HOM being useful for anything at all stylistically speaking. Except an illusio pit of course.

I'm pretty sure some mapsets, including big-name ones like Icarus use HOM to render "mirrors" - but such use is careful and restricted to small areas. Any large HOM is probably going to be viewed as a flaw, even if it's deliberate and clearly stated as such (e.g. that giant bathroom WAD that also has a giant "mirror").

I remember seeing it in Ghostbusters Doom, where it was used in an elevator. It's a cool effect, as it really looks like shiny metal.

Red on Black is definitely art. It has a fundamentally better composition than any of the others.

Heh. Thanks everyone for the comments.much appreciated. Was far better than what I thought might happen, which was for this thread to get trolled, then helled. So very cool that this didn't happen. (though now having said that... o_0)

@Super Jamie. HOMage. lol.

@Bank.
thanks dude for your thoughts on "Red on Black". Heh. I make no pretensions of having any real ability in the visual arts (Painting, drawing, photography, graphic design, etc) or if I do, it is so raw and undeveloped that it might as well be non-existent.

Having seen a little of your work (The Doom bestiary and the Quake bestiary pics) obviously you have a good ability to "see" things in a certain way, which is the most single important characteristic on any decent artist, as well as a way of taking what you have seen and transferring that into something actually tangible. So I am glad that you saw something half decent in even one of these screenies.

Yaaaay for me!

Bank said:

Red on Black is definitely art. It has a fundamentally better composition than any of the others.

uhhhhhh (shamelessly stealing deathbringer's trademark opening! Sieg Heil!)

Agreed, it looks way better than the other but I haven't figured out exactly what is it. A rocket explosion/muzzle flash? A VERY trailed imp fireball? In any case, the colors look unusual when clashed together like this.

A pitch black room, the HOM is coming from a pillar in the centre of the room that has no mid textures on it. (Unintentionally, I wasn't trying to make art, just an honest error discovered while playtesting.) Which I capitalised on by taking lots of screenshots.

Maes, you were pretty much right, that big red blob is actually several imp fireballs that somehow came out as one big blur against the backdrop of the HOM'med pillar. :)

Xtroose said:

I remember seeing it in Ghostbusters Doom, where it was used in an elevator. It's a cool effect, as it really looks like shiny metal.

Hmm...If I ever decide to edit for Vanilla/Boom, I should try something like that.

EarthQuake said:

Someone load up something that gggmork made and find/make some HOM art there.

As it turns out, I have been playtesting a couple of gggmork maps for the forthcoming Claustrophobia2 mapset. And while I was there, i remembered this post and thought "Y'know, that might be just crazy enough to work!"

So here are a few screenies. From a (soon to be) released gggmork map. I think these are an improvement over my earlier attempts.

Enjoy.

first one is gonna be my desktop background.