Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Blasphemy is now illegal. (in Ireland)

I'm pretty sure if the case was brought to the European Court of Justice, the law wouldn't last one second.

kristus said:

Well, there are a bunch of crazy reps who want to pass a resolution condemning people who use the term "Happy holidays".
http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/12/dumbass_legislator_of_the_year.php

Heh wasn't there one that prohibited parents saying that Santa Claus doesn't exist?

And another related story: Teacher sacked for saying santa doesn't exist (in the UK this time though).

Man, I love that quote list. It has plenty of assholes in it, but also a higher number who I would have almost considered heroes to me. Zappa, Lerher, Carlin, Mark Twain? All American heroes to me. I actually just recently watched the first ever episode of Saturday Night Live, George Carlin was hosting. This was... 1975 I believe? Anyways, George gets up and at the end of the show just RIPS religion apart, on live, national television. And it's funny as hell. It just really surprised me that on 1975, on national TV, he could get away with that.

What's weird is that I don't feel outraged over this. It's just so absurd that on some deeper plane of thought I refuse to believe it. It can't be true. Aren't we done with this stuff by now?

kristus said:
Well, there are a bunch of crazy reps who want to pass a resolution condemning people who use the term "Happy holidays".

I blame Irving Berlin for writing a song titled "Happy Holiday", and Bing Crosby for singing it. Those two guys must have really hated Christmas.

Danarchy said:

Jesus fucking Christ. That's god damned retarded.

Even Jesus would be pissed at this. This is unreal in this day and time. I have nothing to add but a ditto to what has already been posted. this shit needs to stop.

Another attempt at religion to control people more, like they have to small extents over the last couple of decades and a lot more a century ago.

Creaphis said:

Oh hey Csonicgo, welcome back to the left side of the page.

yeah, right when this law is passed. coincidence?

I was reading a book that was discussing a similar topic... only it was illegal to talk bad about religions, nationalities, and genders, eliminating the right to teach your religion publicly (eg. church) 'cause you're saying everyone else is wrong which is then a hate crime.

This is pretty stupid all the same.

WildWeasel said:

Is our Lord and fucking Savior. =P

A-fuckin-men

kristus said:

Why did you re-post the link I put in the original post? :p

Oh...heh, nevermind. I guess I never clicked on your link.

This must be a prank, how can anyone possibly think this is a good idea?