Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

DOOM1 idea

yea here i am, having THIS idea

im currently working on a projekt to modify the DOOM maps in the IWAD ( or why just not copy the map in doombuilder into a separate wad? ) and I want to hear your thougts about this idea.

I started modifying the shareware wad DOOM1.wad for about 4 years ago, and thats were my real intrests for DOOM began.

I have some wads made from scratch and some , who are not made from scratch.

if any one wants to see some of theese, just ask me.

now, back to this idea of mine.
i thougt that another level of difficulty could be made on the demo doom1. this was made by a few small changes on all the nine maps and the idea crew while i made the changes. so now i have the entire doom wad with all 4 epidoes. this gets more intresting.

the idea of ever getting the orginal doom maps difficult is by adding a major detail: the wad is meant to be played with the DOOM95.exe, this gives controll challange AND an exotic feeling of "old days" beacuse the engine is made 1996 ( now thats another wasp in your trousers? ) so, this idea grew more and more, so why not mix in some doom2 in it aswell? its not even difficult when the full doom1 wad is done. the lesser good part in this is that its thougt to be played in ultra-violence with fast monsters, so, no other difficulty, otherwise you may just laught and think "what the hell is this ↨|!.ï? you may think so anyway if i have no options for difficulty whitout a fiasko. but I am just too lame to care abuot difficulty at all, i am always playing ultra-violence.

this is all of the idea, now i want to hear what you think about it.

btw, im new here and this is my first thread, no need for launching a nuke on me.

happy new year :)

So hold on, this goes from Idea, to my wads, to Doom95, to Doom 2, then something about 1996 and difficulty.

Krispavera said:

Uhh?

I think D_GARG needs to rephrase the whole topic since its a bit garble and confusing O_o

D_GARG said:

( now thats another wasp in your trousers? )

Hahaha, custom title in first post!

From what I understand, you've been hacking away at the Shareware IWAD maps to add more detail and difficulty to make them a bit more modern. Now you're wanting to expand upon that to include all the Registered IWAD Episodes as well? Though you'd still like to keep the project compatible with Vanilla Doom, or in your case, Doom95.exe.

Fair enough, though keep in mind that Registered IWAD hacks are illegal to distribute, and unless a remake is from scratch (eg: Remain1) of a very high standard (eg: Smedley) then modifications of the IWAD maps are not allowed on the /idgames archive.

Of course that doesn't stop you doing your own thing, so feel free to post some screenshots and as long as it doesn't break copyright law, host the project in your own webspace.

Out of interest, Doom95 is not the best port to play in. It has some awful bugs and doesn't work properly. Chocolate-Doom is a port of Vanilla Doom to modern operating systems, and PrBoom is a de-facto standard expansion on the original editing specs whilst retaining demo compatibility with Vanilla.

Also yes, we'd like to see the maps you've made from scratch.

Once i was trying to make a "Doom London" (after GTA London of course), but everytime i did something i extracted resources from the iwad, changed them, and then merged them back into the iwad! I had no clue what was happening, and when i started running other pwads i was seeing my own textures and weapons in them.

I then worked out, obviously, that i had "applied" my modifications to the Doom Legacy .exe file, so i renamed it "LONDON.exe". I was expecting that if i then reinstalled Doom Legacy i'd be able to play "normal" doom 2 by running legacy.exe, and "my" doom 2 by running london.exe

Which is amusing to me nowadays.

U.O.D. said:

I saw this in the second sentence and the sirens started going off.

i supose, that i should just put it all in a PWAD, and hope, that no one gets pissed-off, and then maybe upload it to you guys.

sorry if i am confusing, i just manage to be so, by some reason.

and now im trying to answer you all in one single reply(witch will fail), beacuse i have awfully bad forum experience, anyway, i guess i'll keep learning here.

the idea was (again) to modify the doom1 maps to be more difficult and nice to play, more good-looking, and a few more rooms and secrets, all maps would be modifyed, and put in a pwad, including the episode Thy Flesh Consumed.

also, you dont have to really play it in doom95, but try out zdoom whitout crosshair mouse and A, D keys to strafe, then you're back in the 1996 whitout the awfull bugs :)

i have made a wad based on the idea of making the game MDK go to life again through DOOM, but wad was based on the DWANGO1 witch i know does not make you happy at all. since, the author of this wad was one of the most epic and awesome doom mappers in history, and he died tragicly in a car crash :'( ( at least what i know and have read ).
so ... some parts of the maps are actually from dwangos base, and the rest, well, is made from scratch. this wads contains modifyed weapons, and some sprites to make the chaingun look like the chaingun kurt hectic uses in MDK.

any intrests or flamers?

oh i see, well, i wonder if they want to make the maps look like orginal or something new and modern, beacuse its the maps that are in fucus, this is suposed to give the feeling of some Really old stuff.

Bucket said:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

WHAT? please explain. and yes, its the maps i am modifying/editing/makeing/remakeing/uppgradeing/downgradeing.
and vanilla doom might be the best engine. (not talking about realm 667's stuff, thats more awesome, not really old-doom looking ).

uuuh, i meant focus, sorry for fumbling that bad

any way, its the maps we have in FOCUS

shit happens (ive also had a (unnessary) post sent to hell, (i put effort to make that post really bad)

Ah, okay... I was starting to think you meant maps made with Deepsea.

dutch devil said:

Google for the word fucus, you will probably figure it out.

It's just a seaweed, nothing dastardly...

well then, can i upload some screen-shots of what i have made this far? (btw how do i upload those screen-shots?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here's an idea. Why not, you know, make your own maps? Seems like an interesting endeavor, eh?

EDIT: 9-bit postcount, woo.

Dude, if you are thinking about remaking Doom's first episode maps, I have to tell you they already done that, it's called Knee-Deep in ZDoom.

But looks like you want to remake it with your own resources, right? Well, If you plan to make a completely new from scratch IWAD, just like they did in Free Doom, PM me, and send me your msn. I can help you with the sprites, map development, and some textures.
Seriously, if you really interessed on doing this, we can make it all from scrath. Every texture, weapon, or enemy.

Don't make it for Vanilla or Doomsday. You must make it for ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag or Legacy, because they can use custom weapons, decoration, and monsters.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Dude, if you are thinking about remaking Doom's first episode maps, I have to tell you they already done that, it's called Knee-Deep in ZDoom.

But looks like you want to remake it with your own resources, right? Well, If you plan to make a completely new from scratch IWAD, just like they did in Free Doom, PM me, and send me your msn. I can help you with the sprites, map development, and some textures.
Seriously, if you really interessed on doing this, we can make it all from scrath. Every texture, weapon, or enemy.

Don't make it for Vanilla or Doomsday. You must make it for ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag or Legacy, because they can use custom weapons, decoration, and monsters.

allright, does not sound bad, what do we use for this? ill send u msn in a (not too long) moment.

this sounds great!

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Very funny.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

PROTIP: Doomsday does have a content definition language just like ZDoom. In Doomsday's case, those are DED lumps/files. Further, it is also possible in EDGE (DDF), Eternity (EDF) and others.

In a way it is also possible in vanilla, but that involves Dehacked and therefore it's not really additional content; but modified content.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

What if they don't want said features though? There are a decent amount of purists out there and not every mod needs such content. It's that can either make a project good or kill it.

InsanityBringer said:

What if they don't want said features though? There are a decent amount of purists out there and not every mod needs such content. It's that can either make a project good or kill it.

hmm, well, there are some things we can/could modify