Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhilibusMo

Recovering files after a drive format?

Well as the title says; is it possible?
I reinstalled windows as installing a service pack destroyed the OS and it failed repeatedly to boot. Luckily I had made a back up of most of my files the day before so I didn't loose much but there is one folder that I forgot to back up that I now need. Is there any way of recoveing it without possibility of damage to my current files and for free?

PhilibusMo said:

Well as the title says; is it possible?
I reinstalled windows as installing a service pack destroyed the OS and it failed repeatedly to boot. Luckily I had made a back up of most of my files the day before so I didn't loose much but there is one folder that I forgot to back up that I now need. Is there any way of recoveing it without possibility of damage to my current files and for free?

Depends. From what I'm getting here, you reinstalled Windows. Did you format your entire hard drive, or just the partition Windows was on? Or did you just install Windows without any formatting?

RecoverNT or GetDataBack might work but probably not.

The more you use the drive, the more likely you are to overwrite the old entries and make your files unrecoverable.

Formatting and reinstalling Windows is a whole lotta drive use. I'd give up now.