Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not being in the UK I can safely say I am not affected. Did snow some 21 inches when I went home for break, but that just resulted in me shoveling and then sledding for a good few hours.

heh, the uk gets hit by less than an inch of snow and all hell breaks loose. roads get closed, lots of people crash, almost every school closes. lots of people who were trapped in their cars because there was 2 inches of snow on the motorway had to abandon their cars...

from what ive heard no other country has this problem when it snows.

the only thing i hate about snow is the god awful feeling of it brushing against your ankles when it gets in your sneakers. My car handles very well in the snow, not to mention the brakes kinda suck so I usually slow to a stop anyway. Sometimes extreme snow conditions can get me out of work early too.

I hate snow a little but i like it a lot.

Krispavera said:

On the topic of snow: I hate it.

Fagut.

The snow in Sweden affected me as I and my brother played with our father's new 4 wheel MC. :D

Ultraboy94 said:

heh, the uk gets hit by less than an inch of snow and all hell breaks loose. roads get closed, lots of people crash, almost every school closes. lots of people who were trapped in their cars because there was 2 inches of snow on the motorway had to abandon their cars...

This sort of thing happens all the time here in the US southeastern coast whenever it snows (which is almost never). Anytime one of those Alberta clippers, or worse, a noreaster blows through here and dumps even a light dusting, panic and excitement sets in.

It takes a really solid, long snowstorm here before anything closes. We'd probably need a foot of snow at least. We had just about that for a couple days in December. Lots of people didn't show up, but everything kept going. My one-hour ride home from school turned into a 3.5-hour ride home. That was mental.

Curiously, loads of people here never learn to drive in the snow. A number of them die every time there's new snow. It would be funny if it wasn't scary and dangerous.

Aliotroph? said:

Curiously, loads of people here never learn to drive in the snow. A number of them die every time there's new snow. It would be funny if it wasn't scary and dangerous.

I like driving in snow; it's fun. But then, I have AWD.
We got a good storm a few weeks ago, but it's been kind of weak since.

Ultraboy94 said:

Only because the Pacific Northwest isn't a country. See Ichor's video for example. That was taken around here. We're pretty much used to dry summers with an average temperature of 70F and rainy winters with an average temperature of 45F. Kind of similar to the UK, really. If it snows, it's usually just for a day or two and only an inch or so (like this year). Last year we got socked in for almost 2 weeks, and that's where that video comes from. I had to miss a whole week of work last year, which eventually lead me into credit card debt (which I just paid off this week). But last year, in addition to the video you see there, there were also busses nearly careening into I-5 and steets covered in ice that even the cops couldn't get through because the cities decided that salt was "too environmentally unfriendly". So we got to sit around for over a week and wait for it to thaw while the local economy ground to a halt and emergency vehicles couldn't get anywhere. THANKS, SEATTLE!

Aliotroph? said:

LOL The cars in that vid look like they're driving on a sheet of ice rather than snow.

Must be where I live. The people here forget that snow & ice makes the roads different than in the summer.

I can drive in snow, i have an underpowered front wheel drive saloon from 1991, but i'm also careful and sensible about it.

Today i thought i might have to try and go home early from work, because my route home involves a hill, and as most of where i live is flat i could envision somebody trying to boot it up said hill in first, sliding down and causing a pileup that would block the road. But luckily there wasn't too much snow (you could still see green!), so i was able to leave at the normal time and get home OK. I did have to fill up the screen-wash, and i bought the crappest bottle ever, first the lid wouldn't open and then it wouldn't close! So i suppose the snow kind of caused me problems, if this was june i wouldn't need screen wash!

I like how the people in the media like to make a big deal about how some places in the US are getting "blasted" with 6" of snow and near 0 temperatures when I am sitting in Grand Forks where we get 25" of snow and -30 lows and I say to myself "shit, better warm the car up an extra minute or so."

As an aside, I love snow, except when I'm shoveling the said 25".

Danarchy said:

Only because the Pacific Northwest isn't a country. See Ichor's video for example. That was taken around here. We're pretty much used to dry summers with an average temperature of 70F and rainy winters with an average temperature of 45F. Kind of similar to the UK, really. If it snows, it's usually just for a day or two and only an inch or so (like this year). Last year we got socked in for almost 2 weeks, and that's where that video comes from. I had to miss a whole week of work last year, which eventually lead me into credit card debt (which I just paid off this week). But last year, in addition to the video you see there, there were also busses nearly careening into I-5 and steets covered in ice that even the cops couldn't get through because the cities decided that salt was "too environmentally unfriendly". So we got to sit around for over a week and wait for it to thaw while the local economy ground to a halt and emergency vehicles couldn't get anywhere. THANKS, SEATTLE!

I'm actually considering moving to Seattle because of that kind of climate. I considering somewhere in Oregon or Washington and I'm sure Seattle must have a decent amount of electrical jobs. The thing is, I want to get a house in the country, not the suburbs. I could go on forever on how neighbors piss me off. I don't know if all these things are compatible but it's all just a thought right now.

I currently live in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland which is borderline on the snow belt. I hate snow. I used to like it as a kid but now my primary interactions with it now are on the road. I can drive in it but I feel like I'm going to die every time I drive to work at 6:00 am where everything is dark and the roads aren't plowed and salted yet. Sometimes I get a pleasant surprise after work too.. Today it was freezing rain! My entire car caked in ice that I have to chisel off! Holy shit! Awesome! The roads weren't that bad though.

Shtbag667 said:

I'm actually considering moving to Seattle because of that kind of climate. I considering somewhere in Oregon or Washington and I'm sure Seattle must have a decent amount of electrical jobs. The thing is, I want to get a house in the country, not the suburbs. I could go on forever on how neighbors piss me off. I don't know if all these things are compatible but it's all just a thought right now.

You'll love Washington then, as Danarchy said, we don't get a whole lot of snow, but STAY on the Western Washington area or you'll say "Fuck... again?". Eastern Wash is practically mountains with desert season during Summer, Fall and Spring, but in Winter, it's ALOT like Spring season down here and tons of snow when Arctic fronts enter.

I love the snow, but I do wish we get more then an inch... Though last year was kinda fun... :D

Aliotroph? said:

LOL The cars in that vid look like they're driving on a sheet of ice rather than snow.

That was a sheet of ice.

In the case of that video, it's probably rain or packed thawed snow that frozen over night and then powder snow on top of that makes for extremely slippery surface. But the way the cars are acting, I am also guessing none of them got winter tires. ;)

@Dan: Strange. Salt isn't exactly the only alternative available. Even if it's the most popular. But they could have just sanded the roads and it would have been safe enough to drive.

It is curious though how every year when the snow comes you hear about these accidents and the tabloids got headlines like "West Sweden paralyzed by the snow chaos." Then you look out and it's snow, just like last year at that time and you wonder if people got the memory of a goldfish.

I'm in Ontario, Canada but it has barely snowed at all where I live (it's been normal winter temperatures, but barely any snow). I don't mind shovelling snow or cold temperatures (but I hate wind), but it's been really nice that it has barely snowed because riding a bike to the grocery store in the winter sucks when the sidewalks are all snowy/icy.

You guys get nastier cold wind than we do in Alberta. We luck out with the dry air. I think we got your snow this year though. We don't usually get piles of it like we did last month. At least we don't usually get that in December. We had -40s for a bit. That's February weather.

Must be nice to live in a place with no snow to shovel. I suppose other weather-related weirdness happens instead.

I rarely see snow since I live around south of Louisiana although I hear its suppose to snow in my area ether tomorrow or Friday.

Ichor said:

youtube video

This is one of the many reasons why I would never moved up north.

Snow happens.

'Coz where I am, snow is something that happens to other people. I mean I like snow. I just wouldn't want to live in the middle of it.