Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darkreaver

Help: cleaning up wad/removing textures etc

Ooook, I need some help.

I have made a map, but I merged it with the CC4 texture wad, so now its quite large; almost 15mb. As we all know, Doomers are still stuck in the nineties, so 15mb is too large of a file ;)

I need to get rid of the textures I havent used. But HOW do I do that? I have NO idea how to use XWE (exept I did manage to merge two wads, apparently) or any other program like it.

I tried to open the wad (back-up, duh) and delete a few textures, and the "clean up" from the file menu. But then the WAD is screwed.

Do i have to manually go through all the textures, and remember which ones I used and which ones I didnt? :O

Any light shed upon this matter is greatly apreciated!

ps: excuse my engrish

yeah, but...uhm...when I delete any textures (even if I havent used them) the wad wont load anymore. I might be doing something wrong?

Maybe I should try out DeepSea then? hmm

Doom and I believe all ports other than Doomsday and ZDoom, will not boot if a loaded TEXTUREx lump lists or looks for a graphic that doesn't exist.

There is, as far as I am aware, no program for auto cleaning these lumps of such errors; it has to be done manually.

That option in XWE will only tell you which textures aren't used (by placing a txt file called "not_used.txt" listing them on the root folder of the drive you installed XWE to).

Oooook, wth..

I dont understand anything..I dont even know what a so called "lump" is.. :S

I`m thinking I wont bother deleting the textures, say that I`m really sorry in the .txt, and make sure not to do this again.

But then I have another question: how do I add only the used textures to my wad, and not all the others? I HATE doing stuff on the computer (exept Doombuilder and mindless surfing), and I havent a clue.

At the very worst, this might be the end of my recently started mapping career lol

...or just using vanilla textures only

A lump is an entry in a WAD file. It can be empty, or it can contain data such as a texture, a sprite, a sound or pretty much anything you want.

It is amazing (in a bad way) that no WAD editor has a proper texture cleanup routine yet. How hard can it be to check all sidedefs of all the maps in the WAD and trash the unused TEXTURE entries?!

I think we used a tool by Kim Malde to get AV ready for release that did just this. I never had it though, but one of the other guys might... if they are still around?

CodeImp said:

It is amazing (in a bad way) that no WAD editor has a proper texture cleanup routine yet. How hard can it be to check all sidedefs of all the maps in the WAD and trash the unused TEXTURE entries?!

haha, true that

Vorpal: hmm, that sounds great. Wouldn`t that be like...a VERY good tool for mappers? Weird its not more well known then. Or did you wanna keep it a secret? huh huh

I could be misunderstanding what the functions of the tool were, it was so long ago. The only AV member I've had any real contact with lately is Catalaa, I'll try and interrogate him for further details.

For future reference, you should consider loading the texture wad as a resource when mapping then, when your map is done, pick out the textures you used and put them in your wad individually.

Yea, Im aware of that. But hey, thats kinda...uh, yeag I guess I`ll actually have to learn how to do that then...damn.

Though, I`d still like to know how to get rid of the unused ones in the one I made now. Like I said, the wad gets "corrupted" and wont load wheb I delet anything from it. (prboom+)

If you use XWE to generate a list of used textures (as Kappes Burr suggested several posts back) and post the list in this thread, I might be able to help you.

I'm guessing that darkreaver is not building his wad for ZDooM (or some other port that supports scripts), so my reply is not strictly directed to his question.

One needs to be careful when deleting textures that a utility such as XWE lists as "unused", if the wad is for a source port that supports scripting. There may be an instruction in the scripts that calls out a texture change, and if that texture has not otherwise been applied to a sidedef in the game, deleting all "unused" textures will result in undesirable in-game consequences. Therefore, in addition to using a list of unused textures, one should also review scripts for any textures called out in them. Naturally, those textures should not be deleted.

ReX: yeah, I`m not doing any scripting or anything, but thats some good info anyway

GreyGhost: this is the list XWE generated:

-
ALLBLACK
ASHWALL2
BFALL3
BIGDOOR3
BIGDOORF
BRICKBLK
BRICKOL3
BRICKPL3
CRACKLE5
CRACKLE9
DOORBLU2
DOORRED2
DOORYEL2
FFIELDG1
FFIELDR7
FIREWALA
GOTHLTHA
GOTHMET5
GOTHMET9
GSTONE1
GSTONEB1
GSTONEB4
GSTONEG1
LAVFALL1
MARBBLK1
MARBBLK2
MARBBLK3
MARBBLKA
MARBBLKB
MARBFAB1
MARBFAB2
MARBFAR1
MARBFGR1
MARBFGR3
MARBGRA1
MARBGRA2
MARBGRA3
MARBLE3
MARBRED1
MARBRED2
MARBRED3
MARBRED6
MIDBARS4
MIDGOTH4
MIDGRATE
MIDMOS1A
MIDVINEB
MIDVINEC
MIDVINED
MIDWIND6
PLUTSKUL
ROCK11
ROCK12
ROCK18
ROCK30
ROCK31
ROCK35
ROCK7
ROCK9
SFALL1
SKINEDGE
SKINSYMB
SKSNAKE2
SKSPINE3
SP_FACE2
SP_HOT1
SP_HOT4
SUPP308C
SUPP316A
SUPP316B
SUPP332
SUPP4B
SUPP816B
SUPP816D
SW1HOT
SW1LION
SW1MARB
SW1SATYR
SW1WDMET
WOODMET1

extra question: when LAVFALL1 is used, isnt LAVFALL2-3-4 etc used also then? I mean, automatically, even though its not in the list

Not a huge list (fortunately) but it'll keep me occupied for a while - I'll convert it into a list of patches and start experimenting.
Yes, LAVFALL1 is part of an animated texture so all four will be used.

darkreaver said:

extra question: when LAVFALL1 is used, isnt LAVFALL2-3-4 etc used also then? I mean, automatically, even though its not in the list

Yes. Same for FIREWALA and a few others.

Here are all the animated flats and textures from Doom (1, 2 or Final).

flat BLOOD1 range BLOOD3 tics 8
flat FWATER1 range FWATER4 tics 8
flat LAVA1 range LAVA4 tics 8
flat NUKAGE1 range NUKAGE3 tics 8
flat SLIME01 range SLIME04 tics 8
flat SLIME05 range SLIME08 tics 8
flat SLIME09 range SLIME12 tics 8
flat SWATER1 range SWATER4 tics 8

texture BFALL1 range BFALL4 tics 8
texture BLODGR1 range BLODGR4 tics 8
texture BLODRIP1 range BLODRIP4 tics 8
texture DBRAIN1 range DBRAIN4 tics 8
texture FIREBLU1 range FIREBLU2 tics 8
texture FIRELAV3 range FIRELAVA tics 8
texture FIREMAG1 range FIREMAG3 tics 8
texture FIREWALA range FIREWALL tics 8
texture GSTFONT1 range GSTFONT3 tics 8
texture ROCKRED1 range ROCKRED3 tics 8
texture SFALL1 range SFALL4 tics 8
texture SLADRIP1 range SLADRIP4 tics 8
texture WFALL1 range WFALL4 tics 8

switch SW1BLUE on pic SW2BLUE tics 0
switch SW1BRCOM on pic SW2BRCOM tics 0
switch SW1BRIK on pic SW2BRIK tics 0
switch SW1BRN1 on pic SW2BRN1 tics 0
switch SW1BRN2 on pic SW2BRN2 tics 0
switch SW1BRNGN on pic SW2BRNGN tics 0
switch SW1BROWN on pic SW2BROWN tics 0
switch SW1CMT on pic SW2CMT tics 0
switch SW1COMM on pic SW2COMM tics 0
switch SW1COMP on pic SW2COMP tics 0
switch SW1DIRT on pic SW2DIRT tics 0
switch SW1EXIT on pic SW2EXIT tics 0
switch SW1GARG on pic SW2GARG tics 0
switch SW1GRAY on pic SW2GRAY tics 0
switch SW1GRAY1 on pic SW2GRAY1 tics 0
switch SW1GSTON on pic SW2GSTON tics 0
switch SW1HOT on pic SW2HOT tics 0
switch SW1LION on pic SW2LION tics 0
switch SW1MARB on pic SW2MARB tics 0
switch SW1MET2 on pic SW2MET2 tics 0
switch SW1METAL on pic SW2METAL tics 0
switch SW1MOD1 on pic SW2MOD1 tics 0
switch SW1PANEL on pic SW2PANEL tics 0
switch SW1PIPE on pic SW2PIPE tics 0
switch SW1ROCK on pic SW2ROCK tics 0
switch SW1SATYR on pic SW2SATYR tics 0
switch SW1SKIN on pic SW2SKIN tics 0
switch SW1SKULL on pic SW2SKULL tics 0
switch SW1SLAD on pic SW2SLAD tics 0
switch SW1STARG on pic SW2STARG tics 0
switch SW1STON1 on pic SW2STON1 tics 0
switch SW1STON2 on pic SW2STON2 tics 0
switch SW1STON6 on pic SW2STON6 tics 0
switch SW1STONE on pic SW2STONE tics 0
switch SW1STRTN on pic SW2STRTN tics 0
switch SW1TEK on pic SW2TEK tics 0
switch SW1VINE on pic SW2VINE tics 0
switch SW1WDMET on pic SW2WDMET tics 0
switch SW1WOOD on pic SW2WOOD tics 0
switch SW1ZIM on pic SW2ZIM tics 0

Gotchas: FIRELAV2 is not in the FIRELAV3/FIRELAVA animation loop. Most ranges are numerical, but the FIREWALA/FIREWALL range contains FIREWALB.

Of course, all these textures are vanilla. They're in the IWAD, so you have no reason to delete them. Boom mods may contain additional animated textures and switches, but if they do, you'd have to extract their ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps and then look at their content in a hex editor to know which textures are concerned. (So very user-friendly...)

wow, dude....hahah, and I felt like a computer genius when I managed to merge two wads (which I never should have done apparently hehe)

I never thought it would be such a pain removing them :O

Ok, I certainly wont find out of this on my own, so I dunno what to do? I want to upload it (after at least someone takes a look and playtest though), but the size of the file is quite embarassing :(

here is the wad if anyone comes up with an easy way to fix it, or just want to take a look

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ahnnomvlyjn/broodofhatred.wad

also I will stop whining about it from now on, heh

Sure does. Eighty-nine patches, twenty-six flats (hope I found them all) and a rebuilt TEXTURE1 lump layer - here it is. I had a wander around the top half of the map (which looks very good) in PrBoom+ to check things out, no crashes or BSOD's so I'll investigate the rest of the map later. Let me know if there's anything I missed.

EDIT - Make that twenty-seven flats, also removed a couple of redundant definitions from the SWITCHES lump. Link updated.

Hey, thanks ALOT!! Though, I cant load the wad..? In prboom I get the error "R_FlatNumForName: not found" Whats this? Guessing it has something to do with flats?

Hmmmm

<facepalms> Meh - I somehow managed to get the map lumps out of sequence when shuffling things about. Played fine when tested through DB2 but not when using my favourite launcher - my mistake for not testing more thoroughly. New link.