Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Anyone play vanilla DOOM?

Do you guys use vanilla DOOM at all? My little brother bought DOOM and, since he can't stand the old graphics, I immediately hooked him up with jDoom (which looks really nice).

However, I still play the original DOOMs through DosBox (I used to play at 320x200 in DOOM 95, but it's nice to be able to have DosBox automatically work with STEAM).

Does anyone else do that, too, or am I just a nutjob?

Chocolate Doom is my primary source port. It's closer to vanilla Doom than Doom95 is.

There are quite a few people in the Doom community who still use vanilla Doom, so no, you are not alone.

If you want to submit anything to COMPET-N you have to use it.

Nuxius said:

There are quite a few people in the Doom community who still use vanilla Doom, so no, you are not alone.

If you want to submit anything to COMPET-N you have to use it.

Not even Chocolate Doom?

Not even Chocolate Doom.

From the COMPET-N rules:
Using a different EXE other than DOOM.EXE v1.9 (size 715493 bytes) for Ultimate DOOM, DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 709905 bytes) for DOOM2 and Final DOOM, DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 722629 bytes) for Final DOOM is not allowed.

Nuxius said:

Not even Chocolate Doom.

They can't tell what exe you're using to record!

BTW, playing vanilla Doom when making a classic non-limit-removing map is a must.

Nuxius said:

Not even Chocolate Doom.

I'm pretty sure a line like "DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 709905 bytes) for DOOM2 and Final DOOM, DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 722629 bytes) for Final DOOM" must be very confusing to the uninitiated.

i usually use skulltag in opengl. but i occaisionally start up dosbox and play doom the old-fashioned way to remind me what the game felt like in 1993/4.

Vanilla only though I watch demos in prboom+. Chocolate Doom good too if I remember correctly.

Yep. And using Win98SE and a CRT monitor. Anyone managed to make 320x200 look at least half decent on LCD as it looks on a CRT?

I went through a sort of phase where I would play nothing but vanilla, because someone said if you test it with Chocolate Doom there are still bugs you can't detect to make it vanilla compatible. I don't know if he was full of crap or not (the only bug I can think of is the "no more than 8 letters in filename" thing) but after a while, I started just using Chocolate Doom, especially now that the aspect ratio blurring seems to be gone.

Donce said:

Yep. And using Win98SE and a CRT monitor. Anyone managed to make 320x200 look at least half decent on LCD as it looks on a CRT?

Chocolate scales the 320x200 picture up nicely... though I prefer a good CRT...

Gez said:

I'm pretty sure a line like "DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 709905 bytes) for DOOM2 and Final DOOM, DOOM2.EXE v1.9 (size 722629 bytes) for Final DOOM" must be very confusing to the uninitiated.

I'm pretty sure "the uninitiated" aren't going to be submitting record-breaking demos to Compet-N or Doomed SDA so no big deal :)

This is kind of unrelated but I didn't want to make a new thread to ask the question...

how large should a DOOMII v1.9 .WAD be?

Mine is 13.9 MB, and I'm not sure if that's the right size.

Intel17 said:
Do you guys use vanilla DOOM at all?

Yeah, I use it a lot. Nowadays it's more powerful than ever because, thanks to Andrey Budko aka entryway, it can run WADs that stick to vanilla specs but otherwise exceed the original static limits by a good deal, with this patch.

printz said:

Don't be so certain. Regardless, DOOM demo recording relies a lot on the good faith of participants, for various reasons.

DuckReconMajor said:
I don't know if he was full of crap or not (the only bug I can think of is the "no more than 8 letters in filename" thing)

Not full of crap, but since the base system is different, something unusual could hypothetically produce some difference, but you should be fine for practically any purpose. Although, as you may know, you can use long file names in Doom. The file this_name_is_too_long.wad can be read as this_n~1.wad, for example, and if you add another called this_name_is_even_longer.wad, you use this_n~2.wad, and so on.

I do it sometimes because some newer vanilla or limit removing WADs, as well as some new demos, are uploaded with longer names, and it's less confusing than renaming the files. Producing vanilla stuff with short file names is still recommended, of course, because it's unambiguous.

myk said:

Not full of crap, but since the base system is different, something unusual could hypothetically produce some difference, but you should be fine for practically any purpose. Although, as you may know, you can use long file names in Doom. The file this_name_is_too_long.wad becomes this_n~1.wad, for example, and if you add another called this_name_is_even_longer.wad, you get this_n~2.wad, and so on.

That's right, you did tell me that. Actually, I misunderstood what you said the first time, so I sort of forgot. Thanks.

printz said:

BTW, playing vanilla Doom when making a classic non-limit-removing map is a must.

I already have ZDoom set up for WAD testing in Doom Builder, so I'll use ZDoom as primary cosmetic testing (i.e. no HOMs or leaks) and vanilla Doom to test compatibility (how many enemies should I take away?).

myk said:

Not full of crap, but since the base system is different, something unusual could hypothetically produce some difference, but you should be fine for practically any purpose. Although, as you may know, you can use long file names in Doom. The file this_name_is_too_long.wad can be read as this_n~1.wad, for example, and if you add another called this_name_is_even_longer.wad, you use this_n~2.wad, and so on.

I do it sometimes because some newer vanilla or limit removing WADs, as well as some new demos, are uploaded with longer names, and it's less confusing than renaming the files. Producing vanilla stuff with short file names is still recommended, of course, because it's unambiguous.

Wait a minute, how do you get it to read the longer filenames without changing them? I'm lost

Never_Again said:

Chocolate DOOM comes close but it still has some display issues, e.g. the transparent non-shoot-through walls (e.g. a few windows on OTTAWAU.WAD E2M1).

Maybe if you filed a bug report it would get fixed.

Never_Again said:

After 12 years of source ports there is still no 100%-accurate replacement for vanilla. Chocolate DOOM comes close but it still has some display issues, e.g. the transparent non-shoot-through walls (e.g. a few windows on OTTAWAU.WAD E2M1).

Justification: Chocolate Doom is fairly recent I think, and most ports focus on improving on the technology that made Doom an engrossing game.

Never_Again said:

After 12 years of source ports there is still no 100%-accurate replacement for vanilla.

Nuh-uh, there is one.

Guaranteed 100% like vanilla.