Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

(Terminator:) Skynet weapon rips

Has anyone in the communtiy been able to succefully run SkyNET (aka Terminator: SkyNET in europe) in the 640x480 SVGA mode (which was pretty buggy and unstable) or at all?

Reason i am wondering is because i was hoping someone would be willing to rip the weapons via screenshots or other capture tools
for a possible project of mine for Doom (a Terminator mod).

I ripped all the weapons myself a long time ago in the games standard 320x200 VGA mode using the screenshot method. This is how i did it (step by step):

1. I started the game and began a new game (in standard 320x200 mode as i was not able to get it to work in the 640x480 mode)

2. I entered the all weapons cheat (Future Shock didn't have this cheat)

3. Selected the weapon i wanted to rip

4. Aimed it at the sky (a clear easilly-erasable background)

5. Took the screenshot

6. Exited the game

7. Pasted it in Paint Shop Pro 5, made everything around the gun into one single colour and saved the image.

8. Repeated the process until i had all weapons with all corresponding frames.

Unfortunaly i no longer have the original images (with the original palette). All i have left is ones converted to the Doom palette, which don't look very good compared to the originals (on many of them the hand/arm looks like a part of the gun).

Also in the 640x480 SVGA mode, diffrent sprites of higher-resolution were used for the weapons which look many times better. I would like these, if possible. But i would settle for the standard 320x200 ones aswell, albeit with the original palette and no edits made to the actual guns.

Is there someone who can help?

Here are couple of examples of my weapon rips, in the Doom palette.

UZI:

Assault Rifle (M16):

The problem, as you can see, is the lack of colours. The palette didn't convet very well at all. The glove on the hand is supposed to be dark brown and the sleeve dark green. When converted to Doom everything became grey.

And here is some gameplay footage of Terminator: Future Shock (320x200):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKusJ98OU8

And gameplay footage of SkyNET (640x480 SVGA mode):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khTdQPg4YjI

See the diffrence with the weapons? Big improvement in the 640x480 SVGA mode (which was exclusive to SkyNET).

I watched the first 4 of those videos. And I think it would make an awesome game if done right.

tell the truth dude, I would be pretty useless in terms of helping you, have never done any spriting/weapons work at all. But I wish you well with it. It would be cool to see something like this done, coz it is a really good idea.

ugh, I do hate ripping sprites out of screen captures. Isn't there a better way?

[unrelated] Also, does anyone have any tekwars rips?

Patrick said:

ugh, I do hate ripping sprites out of screen captures. Isn't there a better way?

[unrelated] Also, does anyone have any tekwars rips?

Screen captures can turn out succefully with no diffrence between it/them and the source sprite(s), --> IF DONE WELL <--. My attempt turned out perfect, if i only still had the originals.

Someone ripped the TekWar resources over at the ZDoom forums (look in projects/resources).

Mordeth said:

Try and see if XWE can read that data.

I have tried both GFE and XWE countless times with no result.

In the process i did however learn where the weapons sprites are located and can extract the files containing them but can't open the damn things, no way, no how. Same things goes with the sound effects.

Here is a little demonstration WAD i threw together, nothing overly fancy, just showcasing some of the possibilities.

http://rapidshare.com/files/334263011/TDDF.WAD.html

It requires EDGE 1.34

It features weapons from Terminator: Future Shock/SkyNET (11) and Terminator sprite model(s) from Terminator: Rampage. I am aware of the fact that the Terminator is far too easy to kill but like i said this is just a demonstration.

Oh yeah, it also features some converted music from Terminator: Rampage and fonts extracted from Terminator: Future Shock.

Aha, I knew those Terminator: Rampage resources I ripped were downloaded too many times not to have been used in something! ;) Surprised by how not completely terrible the prerendered Terminator guy looks in-game and I have to say I really like the metal shrapnel explosion effect when he dies.

As for the Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: SKYNet resources, I had actually planned on ripping them in full (if I can figure out how), but I never got a definitive answer as to whether or not it had been done before. I'd heard the rocket launcher had been used before so I wasn't sure if it'd been done or not. Guess I'll get my hands on the two of them and see what I can make of them... no guarantees, though.

Also, would you mind too terribly if I linked to your little demo WAD there in my resources thread over at ZDoom's forums? I really appreciate seeing the T:R stuff used since it was a bitch of a process to rip that stuff.

EDIT: Also, those medkit/ammo pickups are pretty slick. Where'd you get those?

EDIT #2: Oh God, why?? I cracked the BSA files open in Game File Explorer... the file formats are the same as Terminator: Rampage. That means the good news is that I can rip the graphics. The bad news is that it's going to take an incredible amount of effort... moreso than last time, in fact, since I'm going to have to convert everything to the proper palette after the fact.

Zero X. Diamond said:

Aha, I knew those Terminator: Rampage resources I ripped were downloaded too many times not to have been used in something! ;) Surprised by how not completely terrible the prerendered Terminator guy looks in-game and I have to say I really like the metal shrapnel explosion effect when he dies.

Thank you.

Zero X. Diamond said:

As for the Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: SKYNet resources, I had actually planned on ripping them in full (if I can figure out how), but I never got a definitive answer as to whether or not it had been done before. I'd heard the rocket launcher had been used before so I wasn't sure if it'd been done or not. Guess I'll get my hands on the two of them and see what I can make of them... no guarantees, though.

No, they have never been ripped in full before. Individual weapons have been ripped (by screenshot method) but always converted to the Doom Palette. The hi-res weapons from SkyNET however have never been ripped. If you were able to fully rip the resources from Future Shock and SkyNET i would be in your debt sir, those games are a pain to figure out. I've tried many times with many utilities.

Zero X. Diamond said:

Also, would you mind too terribly if I linked to your little demo WAD there in my resources thread over at ZDoom's forums? I really appreciate seeing the T:R stuff used since it was a bitch of a process to rip that stuff.

I wouldn't mind at all aslong as you make it clear that it is a demonstration WAD and my e-mail is linked (c_eejay@hotmail.com) and that i am looking for level developers.

Zero X. Diamond said:

EDIT: Also, those medkit/ammo pickups are pretty slick. Where'd you get those?

All the items were ripped from Future Shock, using a combined method of GFE and screenshots (Because GFE doesn't extract the resources properly).

Zero X. Diamond said:

EDIT #2: Oh God, why?? I cracked the BSA files open in Game File Explorer... the file formats are the same as Terminator: Rampage. That means the good news is that I can rip the graphics. The bad news is that it's going to take an incredible amount of effort... moreso than last time, in fact, since I'm going to have to convert everything to the proper palette after the fact.

Like i said earlier, i would forever be in your debt if you gave a try. I know that FS and SkyNET use a few diffrent palettes for diffrent resources in-game. However i have been able to extract the palette with hardly any effort so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm new to the forums, and my main goal is to find and help
with wads...but is this one still a product in the making?

Or...has it been dropped because of lack of interest?

sykeshot said:

I'm new to the forums, and my main goal is to find and help
with wads...but is this one still a product in the making?

Or...has it been dropped because of lack of interest?

This project hasn't really took-off. I'm in need of resources (and lots of 'em) aswell as people to help with the project (level design/texures/map scripting).