Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phml

Pendragon demos (Boom, -complevel 9)

Only one map for now, which was meant to be a joke map, but I found I actually like playing it, so I'm most likely going to make more and make demos for it, and I figure I might as well make a new thread this time rather than cluttering the misc demos.

This first map is limit-removing but I might move to Boom features later, so complevel 9 it is. Besides, I don't want the lost soul limit or intercept overflow problems and all that.

Wad here (10/01) : http://www.toofiles.com/en/oip/documents/zip/pendragon.html

UV Speed in 1:39

pe01-139.zip

Haha oh man, I just recorded a speedrun on this (basically as a joke) and now I see this thread. Apparently I'm not very original!

UV speed in 0:59, recorded with Zdoom 2.2.0 (I use rocket jumping, and even that isn't executed very well).

pendragon-059-zdoom220.zip

Heh, fun idea. I suppose you could rjump your way to the top of the lowering floor while it lowers too, as to kill the cybers blocking the exit right away (it'd require avoiding the invuls next to the lowering floors).

Ha, nice thought. I'd like to see ToD run this level. He'd exit 20 seconds faster, easily.

Instead of recording more ZDoom demos, I decided to beat you at your own game.

UV-speed in 1:34
also reality (sort of)
PrBoom+ 2.5.0.3 -complevel 9

pe01-134.zip

I can play that game too, sir ! :)

Map01 UV speed in 0:55, ZDoom 2.2

... Okay, I'm not so hot at rjumping either. Vaguely tried jumping on the final floor, before deciding it'd be too hard for me and giving up. :p

pendragon-055-zdoom220.zip

interesting. i've given it a shot, but i rrrreally despise how zdoom handles rocket jumps and the archvile mess, so i don't want to torture myself learning it. a theoretical question, though: if i die over the exit sector, but on the heads of those cybers... will it end the level?

dew said:

interesting. i've given it a shot, but i rrrreally despise how zdoom handles rocket jumps and the archvile mess, so i don't want to torture myself learning it. a theoretical question, though: if i die over the exit sector, but on the heads of those cybers... will it end the level?

I tested this, as I figured that the only real way you could save time with such a route is if the cyberdemons didn't have to be killed. It turns out that in ZDoom it's impossible to die in that sector type (repeated self-inflicted rocket wounds just push your health closer to 1%), but the level won't end unless you physically touch the sector floor.

To satisfy my curiosity, I just tested the behaviour of these sectors in vanilla, and it's approximately the same. It's impossible to die in them, and you can only exit while touching their floors. (Obviously you'll never find yourself stuck on top of a monster's head in vanilla, but this is worth noting as you won't exit while airborne.)

While this time-saving trick might not be worth the effort, another thing is worth noting - if you touch the exit sector's floor with <10% health (or whatever the limit is) you'll exit immediately - even if you're currently invulnerable from a powerup. So, the fastest way to exit this map would be to previously bring your hp to single digits, and then grab an invulnerability sphere, and remain invulnerable from then on.

The perfect Prboom+ demo of this map with a vile jump and the health-management trick above would be at least 10 seconds faster than mine. It'd be worth trying to record such a demo if we weren't already taking this map way too seriously :)

Phml: I like how your demo ends. Somehow you end up at low hp inside the exit sector before either of those facts is ever rendered. That must have been one hell of a rocket.

Map01 UV Max in 6:58

So... Yeah. This is definitely not a failed UV speed turned into max after spending a whole hour not being able to beat Creaphis' time. Not at all. Nuh-uh.

pe01-658.zip