Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnlimitedStar23

Doom in Europe

Don't worry, Enjay, even Iceland is considered part of Europe :p

I've been considering getting Spanish citizenship, which I am eligible to through my grandmother, but haven't attempted to do so.

Perhaps the Icelandic people have a more pro-Europe view than the default "I don't want Johnny foreigner taking over our currency/laws/country" attitude of the average Brit. Perhaps one day Brits will get the stick out of their ass and realise that the UK no longer has an empire, doesn't run half of the world and isn't even particularly important these days. Until that time...

Enjay said:

Perhaps the Icelandic people have a more pro-Europe view than the default "I don't want Johnny foreigner taking over our currency/laws/country" attitude of the average Brit. Perhaps one day Brits will get the stick out of their ass and realise that the UK no longer has an empire, doesn't run half of the world and isn't even particularly important these days. Until that time...

i think that most of us do know we dont have an empire of any sorts now, but most of us (not me) just cant be arsed to change currency/etc.

Swec said:

I am from Sweden!

Doom was big in Sweden when it was new, now the most part have forgotten it or just play newer games whit better grafik but boring gameplay etc.

Still that i am soon 21 years old i like Doom and i am not a very good player :P

I'm from Sweden too, though i'm 26. Yeah, i recall it being really big here aswell, though mostly on a technical level. I could hardly play at first because it scared me so. But i agree that there aren't many games after that can compare when it comes to gameplay and atmosphere.

I have never met another Doom fan here in Sweden personally. This has led me to believe that there aren't many dedicated Doomers here but i could be wrong.

perkristian said:

Norway here, 30 years of age. Crap, I'm getting old...

Hey, wow, another norwegian :)

I`m 27, sooo getting old myself hehe

no offense cybdmn ;)

CeeJay said:

I'm from Sweden too, though i'm 26. Yeah, i recall it being really big here aswell, though mostly on a technical level. I could hardly play at first because it scared me so. But i agree that there aren't many games after that can compare when it comes to gameplay and atmosphere.

I have never met another Doom fan here in Sweden personally. This has led me to believe that there aren't many dedicated Doomers here but i could be wrong.

I see that it is some Northmen (is they called so in English?) here too.. i think we can count them ass well :wink:

I remember when i first played it and had problems getting past Map02 :P didn't know how to run or so i had big problems to get to the red key :P Stupid me.. but i was just like 6? years old then :P
Then it was Doom2 and Sim City 2000 that was the biggest games :)

I sometimes talk to Swedish people and some of them just say that it was a good game etc. But they never say like what would the 'today's games' have been like if Doom and simulate games never had come?
I think many of the 'original' Doom players are a bit older and just have grown up and don't talk about it any more but if we just ask random ppl on the street i think we would get some hit's. And the 90's geeks and so on.

In the 1996 and moving on to the 2000 i think the most people was buying a computer. Maybe that it didn't retch so many of the group and some new games took over like quake etc. (just speculating)

The people that play games in Sweden today just play CS (urk), WOW, GTA, Cyris, DOA and games like that. (boring games overall)
The funny thing is when i got ADSL for the first time (0.25mbit) i was playing Diablo (1) was playing the hole night. I had D2exp but i found D1 better to get the things i was locking for.

I still play it sometimes today. Later on a played Tibia and D2exp for a year or too but never really get into game's.

I would say when Doom came it was a big step for the future games but many games now days is just made for locking so good as possible and just release a second part some months later just to earn money.

Now days i just do work on my computer and play doom and editing.
Also play Some Unreal Tournament but i play less and less for every day that passes by.

I don't think that it is so many Doomers in Sweden they are older and i think many played Doom on some friends computer or on the schools computers they never own it themselves. maybe that it is not many that like the game as bit as it was and still is. now days they just wants a strong computer and play every new games that comes out.

sad but true :(

Ohh big wall of text..

Despite your very slight lack in the English language (i don't know, you could just be typing too damned fast), i think you really nailed it there.

Talvi said:

I'm Spanish, don't know how many of us might be here.

*Raises hand* I am a Spanish citizen, but I admit that I have spent most of my life here in America. Every year I used to spend two or three months in Spain to be with my family, but the past couple of years I have only been doing this for about three weeks at a time.

Hello there! Yes, I believe there are a lot of Europeans in Doom.

I am from Greece. I don't know many greeks in doom community. But it's funny to discover some random WAD with greek speech or messages in the wall and say "wow, aftos einai diko mas palikari" :)

@UnlimitedStar23:
Wo man hier überall die Leute wiederfindet... faszinierend. :)

Ah, yeah, Germany over here.

While we are at it? What about a big European Doom weekend?
If the demonscene can meet for a weekend full of code_n_paint_n_muzak we could surely meet for a weekend full of mapping and deathmatching. *g*

Yes, a Doom meeting in the same sense as demoparties would be great. With various competitions and surprises and a chance to meet people who are seriously into doom WAD editing or playing. If something like that happens in Europe and I will be able to come, I will consider visiting for sure.

I have access to a cheap, maybe even free, location.
An old bombshelter nowaday used by (classic-)computer nerds and musicans in Bochum-Werne.