Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

What is Old Is New Again... How about you?

I've been talking to a lot of my buddies, either around the 'Net and around town when we used to get into games like:

Wolfenstein (When it first came out)...
Star Wars: X-Wing
Doom

etc.

I was on Vax Terminals, BBS's, I used to be on Compuserve with a Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem back in the day...

I have in my collection, I would honestly bet money, every Doom PWAD that ever came out starting with 1994 onward (even more than ftp.cdrom.com).

How old are the folks on Doomworld now?

I'm starting to get the impression most of you folks can be my kids.

When Doom came out, I was 23 years old. I got married the next year... Got my first pentium computer the next year, and since have had 7 computers; put together 18 computers for friends and family...

Just curious how this works.

I'm 30. I had just become 14 a few of months before Doom was released.
I had no idea at that time though. I had an AtariST at that time in life.
I learned about Doom in the fall of 1994. (I think right after Doom2 came out, or just before.) Then when v1.666 came, we played that shit like a motherfucker in DM on Serial link. Though we did play Heretic more.

And I'm not married. (doubt anyone who knows me will be surprised by that fact)

I'm 20, i was 4 when Doom was released. The first time i played it was on the SNES. I still remember the red cartridge.

I'm 21 but I was exposed to computer games early in life - I started playing games on our family computer at about 4. I played wolfenstien a lot in elementary school, and a little doom. I always cheated in doom though, and it wasn't until high school that I ever actually played it seriously.

EDIT: by the way tolwyn, it appears I registered here before you did :P

and that makes me think: doomworld is the only doom website and/or community I've gotten involved in. I know that there have been other places, some of which are still going strong - were you part of another community before (or during) this one?

I'm not legally old enough to purchase alcohol in the US. I first played Doom in the late 90's with a friend on his N64. After that I picked it up around 2004 when I was given a copy on the Gameboy. I looked it up online and learned about modding. Bought a copy and have been modding since.

Ok ok.
So, I'm old enough to be a father to 70% of you.

Yeah, I didn't find Doomworld until later. I was kinda busy with TeamTNT, TiC, etc. ;)

Not really. I was an AOL employee for awhile...
TeamTNT, TiC, a lot of more specific sites... I was usually working/music writing than in the community, which is wierd, but still.

I'm just amazed.

I still think Doom is a fun, entertaining game and with the ports, from a simple game perspective, still holds it's own; much like Marioworld is still a fun game to play (And all of it's incarnations).

I'll be 20 next month. First exposed to DOOM on the SNES in the late 90's, played Wolfenstein for as long as I can remember. Quake was one of my favorite games and I remember Unreal scaring the shit out of me when I first played, heh.

Kagemaru_H said:

I'm 17, got into Doom a few years ago when I wanted to try it out after playing Zero Tolerance almost endlessly.

First FPS i ever played. I recently got into Doom... I wanna say a year and a half ago. I first became interested in the engine's customization ability, then the actual Doom game itself. I'm 15.

PRIMEVAL said:

I'll be 20 next month. First exposed to DOOM on the SNES in the late 90's, played Wolfenstein for as long as I can remember. Quake was one of my favorite games and I remember Unreal scaring the shit out of me when I first played, heh.

I remember Doom scared me when i was a lil girl, i remember being all like ''nooo i dont wanna turn that corner'' boy was i taking my time to finish the level...

I just turned 23 last month. I remember when Doom came out and I wanted it so bad, but we didn't have the game for the longest time. Every time my step dad would take me to a computer expo I would run around to every kiosk and see if any had it to play (that, or Duke3d!). One time I remember one kiosk that had these VR goggles and this weird joystick that was like the sensors in the PS3's SIXAXIS, and that was interesting playing Doom with.

Another thing I fondly remember, is pretending to play Doom out on the playground at school. A couple friends and I would run around the castle-thing taking turns as the marine or the demons. We also played AVP a lot at the time.

I've definitely been a Doomer from the beginning, though I haven't always had the game. A while after we finally got the first game, we moved and lost the disks and I never got to play it again until close to six or seven years ago, and that's about when I first joined up to NewDoom and became part of the community.

It's been a fun ride. I'm glad there's no sign of it stopping any time soon. :)

My mother was five months pregnat with me when doom came out,I was born in april 1994,I played doom for the first time when i was 5,my brother installed The ultimate doom onto our computer he played it for awhile then shut it off,he wnt to start up the computer again and instead of loading to the desktop it would just start up doom even without the flop disk in the drive!!!

He took it to his friends dad who works on computers,he couldn't even figure it out,he knew it wasn't a virus that did it thats about it

So my brother brought the tower home that night and hooked it back up,i played doom that night with god mode on,i remember laughing at doom and the enemies

Nomad said:

Another thing I fondly remember, is pretending to play Doom out on the playground at school. A couple friends and I would run around the castle-thing taking turns as the marine or the demons. We also played AVP a lot at the time.

We played alot of fighting style games at our daycare mostly street fighter,mortal kombat and dragonball Z,we would actually hit each other when we were just punching and kicking,but we would do fake finnishers and hadokens and kamehameyas

God I miss those days

I didn't know Doom's existence til late 2000 but back in Dec of 93, I was just a 5 year old little boy playing Super Mario Bros 3 on my brand new NES :)

Edit: Also I'm 22

I'm 18 and have been playing Doom since it was released on December 10, 1993. Yes, I was 2 when it came out.

Krispavera said:

I'm 18 and have been playing Doom since it was released on December 10, 1993. Yes, I was 2 when it came out.

This, except I'm 19.

I was around 14 when Doom came out.

I still remember back when a bunch of friends and I played Doom and Stunts on the school computers during class (we did this a lot). Good times, good times.

Old sure is new again Tolwyn.

I turned 31 in December. Have been back mapping since Jan 2009 when I found myself downloading Slade2 and scribbling some map ideas on paper to unwind.

I uhh, "vanished" from the Doom scene just after The Darkening I think it was.

I had a HDD crash in 99 and quake + uni kinda pulled me into that rabbit hole although I never really mapped as much in those games as I did in Doom. Lots of half finished stuff though.

It's kinda of funny, or perhaps depressing, that despite not being involved in the scene since 99 I managed get credited in 2002 and 2006 with making maps in some megawad releases (thanks to my sharing of half finished maps that were then completed by others). I've only recently just started checking out how these maps finished up etc. It's been pretty neat to see how the other authors have completed them.

- Travers

I'm 26. I've been Dooming since early 94. I played a few PWADs off shovelware CDs as I didn't get the internet until 1997 or so. I somehow missed the famous megawads of those days, however I probably couldn't have beaten most of them back then anyway.

By the time I got online I was busy playing other games like Duke, SiN, Shogo, etc etc. Around 2001 I discovered Legacy and started playing Doom again every now and then. I've always been a big fan of 80s and 90s games, usually when I setup a new PC some of the first things I do are setup a Doom port and DOSBox.

A few years ago I just got frustrated with constant disappointment at new games, now I play Doom almost exclusively. The times I do play something else it's usually a DOS game, or something text based like a roguelike or text adventure. I have always liked and played old stuff :)

At the time of Doom's release I was a 39 year old Amiga fanboy. Tried ADoom in the late 90s but wasn't satisfied with it's performance on my system, rediscovered Doom in 2002 when checking out the potential of multi-player games as "team building" activities for the office. Heh - being paid to play games, does life get any better? Fell in love with Doom Legacy and started what's probably the biggest collection of wads in the southern hemisphere.

I'm 23. Played the shareware probably in 94, got doom95 as soon as it came out. I only had Simpsons wads and junk from like 96 to 2000, then maybe around 2001 discovered sourceports and became a real Doomer. I wasn't exactly internet literate as a kid in comparison to my teenage years.

kristus said:

I'm 30.

I wouldn't have guessed that - I was thinking under 25 at most.

It will be interesting to see how old some of the older members are, assuming they post.