Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark-tenshi

q1 vs q2

Hmm, quite a risky poll I think. It propably wont be too long before people start arguing about which is better.

I'm one of the weirdos, 'cause I happen to like Q2 better, never been particularly interested in multiplay.
Now, I admit that Quake1 has most atmosphere, but I prefer Quake 2 because I feel that the action itself is better and the levels seemed more real compared to most FPS game levels around that time. I also loved the mission objective aspect though it wasn't really such a big thing, but it made it seem like the player had a better purpose than just slaughtering monsters.

But I have to say that Quake1 sports the best enemies, but most of the weapons (the shotguns in particular): UGH!
The four-barreled nailgun was decent though and the rocket launcher has the best sounds for a rocket launcher I have ever heard in an FPS - Q2's rocket launcher sounds kinda weak.

I'm one of the weirdos, 'cause I happen to like Q2 better

Uhhhhh....no, you're normal ;)

Still, does a poll really need to be made like this? Everybody should know that Q2 completely OWNZ the first one, heh.

Quake 2 has better single player while Quake 1 has better deathmatch imo. Of course, Doom has both better single player AND deathmatch than any of the quakes.

Still, does a poll really need to be made like this? Everybody should know that Q2 completely OWNZ the first one, heh.

Uhh, somewhere in the general forum there's a thread, where several people claim that Quake1 is better (I had a 'minor' discussion with them about why I thought Q2 was better).

I don't quite remember the thread's headline but I believe that it was posted by DooMBoy and had "Quake 2" in it.
And no, it's not the "My Quake 2 has fudged up" thing by the same guy.

[edit]Ok I've found it and it turns out that the headline ("OH-HOHOHO!!!!") had no "Quake 2" in it, but the first post in it was Quake 2 related. Lots of different topics were discussed in this thread, but if you look around you're bound to run into the Q1 Vs Q2 discussion.[/edit]

Thx for the link dsm,i didn't know there was Q1/Q2 debate recently.mmm after summing up the vote in this thread and old thread.
Q1:4 votes
Q2:12+3=15 votes (dsm's and erik's vote has been counted in old thread)

after the percentage calculation
Q1-21%
Q2-79%

by the way i found a movie of a player completed Q1 nightmare mode in 12:23 minutes.very large download (160 meg) but worth downloading for those who have boardband (the file server is quite fast)

I abstain, Quake 2 is better but then Quake 1 is older, and has some nice atmosphere.

I refuse to shit on Quake 1, Crendo, so nyah. :)

It wont "shit" on Quake1, because it IS a decent play experience and it WAS fairly cool when it was new (though I wasn't really impressed with it) - walking around in a true 3d environment for the first time (I hadn't tried Decent) was an experience, but Q2 had better controls and it somehow felt more satisfying to kill the enemies in Q2 imo(though the enemies themselves weren't particularly well-done).

The music in Q2 also appealed more to me than Q1's(I love metal music), despite the lack of atmosphere - but that's just my taste (damn I was a bigot when I first heard the Q1 soundtrack - I was stupidly enough convinced that noone would like this kind of music, heh).

I don't care for Quake 1. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't any fun.

Never played Q2.

the music doom through quake2 is all good(can't remember of q3a's ).i can't choose which one is my most favorite.when i first launched quake,the third quake CD track that was replayed in the demo total blew me away(althoug the rest of quake music is not Rock but it fit perfectly with the game)in DOOM3, except from the eerie music we can expect,i want them to make one "rock" track. kinda like E1M1 music.

by the way i found a movie of a player completed Q1 nightmare mode in 12:23 minutes.very large download (160 meg) but worth downloading for those who have boardband (the file server is quite fast)

It's pretty cool. Less impressive as it seems though as it's recorded one level at a time with savegames in between.
Still damn good entertainment.

Quake2 looked a lot better at first, but it has almost no replay value. It's hard enough to go through the entire game the first time around anyway, with it's whopping 3 themes between all the levels.

I think you all like Quake 2 more because Quake 2's setting, enemies, and weapons remind you more of DOOM than Quake 1's weapons, setting, and enemies do. Well, both games are good, but Quake 1 wins by just a teensy little tad.

in DOOM3, except from the eerie music we can expect,i want them to make one "rock" track. kinda like E1M1 music.

Uhh, E1M1 is not rock music (I used to think so myself), it's metal music and yeah, I would like at least a few metal tracks in "Doom 3", but I know that Id once said that they'd put music in the game which will be much more ambient than before - also metal music has this major drawback that it can shut out some of the environmental sounds like growling, which Id want to avoid this time - so this doesn't leave much hope for cool metal music in the new Doom.

proper use of metal music kinda help mood-making.
when i first heard E1M1 or Quake1 opening music,it make me feel like i'm ready to kick those monster ass.unlike Quake2 Metal music shouldn't be the major use .but it has to be there.to use it in NOLF/RTCW style cutscene must be good.

I think you all like Quake 2 more because Quake 2's setting, enemies, and weapons remind you more of DOOM than Quake 1's weapons, setting, and enemies do.

Dunno about setting. Enemies is a no - Q2's enemies could've been done a lot better.
Weapons, however, is a correct assumption - they have a more powerful feel to them and the chaingun simply KICKS ARSE!
However, I have this strange feeling when I play Q1 that the enemies seem to be made of rock (I can't really put my finger on why it feels like that), but in Q2 the enemies feel "softer" - a feeling I like better.
Hm, maybe it's the gore?

However, I have this strange feeling when I play Q1 that the enemies seem to be made of rock (I can't really put my finger on why it feels like that),

because of low polys of enemies?also the animation of it (see shambler)

The animation might be contributing to giving them this feel.

Q2 was better because it just simply was.

It doens't remind me of DOOM in any way. Difficulty, gameplay, everything was just better. Even the music kicked major arse (not the horrible excuses for music tracks that NIN made). And don't even start with that atmosphere crap. IMHO, Q2 was more suited to me. I didn't like the "goth" theme to Q1, it's just not my taste. I'm more into the alien/cyborg type of FPS. Hands down.

[edit]Heh, I just realized my postcount is 1616, a double :)[/edit]

I liked Quake 2 better because it was more realistic and revolved more around story and gameplay than Quake 1.

Only sad thing about difficulty in Q2 is that there's no nightmare difficulty :-(

Poll Results:
3 votes (25%)
Quake1

9 votes (75%)
Quake2

Now I'm starting to get mad...Q1 shouldn't have gotten past 1 vote, and even THAT is too much!

It'll get worse Cren, it'll get worse.
Get used to it.

I have so many good memories with Quake 2. I remember playing some mod with something called a 'cataclysm device'. My friend and I were playing it at WotC. Whenever he let one loose, it would kill everything within one of the towers. Hehehe.

quake 1.

Quake 2 was annoying witht he computer thing and all plus you had to backtrack at points and stuff, while quake 1 had more of a gloomy feel to it q2 was all noncreepy base levels

quake 1.

Quake 2 was annoying witht he computer thing and all plus you had to backtrack at points and stuff, while quake 1 had more of a gloomy feel to it q2 was all noncreepy base levels

That's the funniest thing I've heard yet.

Gah, I'm not gonna look at this poll anymore...it'll just lead me into a depper depression....

quake 1.

I agree, but Quake 2 wasn't annoying. Plus, Quake 1GL makes the animation a lot better. They don't move at a crappy 30fps, they move at 60fps in GL mode and have some animation smoothing so they aren't as rigid looking. Of course, Quake 2 in 1600X1200 in 32-bit color mode, 32-bit
Z-transform, and 32-bit stencil looks dated compared to games like Unreal 1/2/Tournament, Serious Sam, Quake 3 powered games, Unreal powered games, etc. Hell, both Quake 1 and Quake 2 even in GL mode look ugly. Quake 1 was better though. Quake 2 felt more like a newer FPS and not as much as DOOM. I thought Quake 1's atmosphere was more Doom-like and the level design was better.

I know...ever since you joined Doomworld, it's been freakin me out. The scary thing is, is that it kinda looks like this dude I know.