Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nafmunacra

Speedmapping still alive?

I got really interested in the speedmapping section of the Doom World site, but I then saw that the last pack uploaded was in 2001. I also checked the IRC and it doesn't seem to work. Are speedmapping mini-contests still being held? They sound extremely fun.

the last 32in24 (which is basically this era's version of speedmapping) was on Dec 20th. I encourage more sessions since we tend to have a higher turnout of maps every time.

The Doom Wiki has an article about the 32in24 series, but the short explanation is that we give people a basic theme (for example, free-for-all deathmatch maps) and for the following 24 hours, anyone in the community can build a map fitting the stated criteria and post it. (The map, of course, being actually made within that 24 hours, not just submitted during it.) When the 24 hours is up, the received submissions are compiled into a wad. The goal of the first 32in24 was to get a full 32 maps, but since then we've gone over that number several times, sometimes ending up with 40 or more maps in the released wad.

We usually do multiplayer deathmatch maps of some sort, rather than single-player, both because deathmatch maps are generally quicker to build and because we haven't gotten a lot of participation the couple of times we've tried running single-player 32in24s. It seems that most 32in24 regulars don't care much about single-player mapping, and most skilled single-player mappers don't care much about 32in24s. :\

I'm still sad that I missed the last one. :( No shitty Nuxius maps for Cybershark to rip into...

esselfortium said:

It seems that most 32in24 regulars don't care much about single-player mapping, and most skilled single-player mappers don't care much about 32in24s. :\

To be fair, despite all of the impboyism, diet 32in24 was actually received pretty well.

I've been thinking about holding another session, but it's kind of difficult right now. I'm leeching internet so I can get online on my laptop (which has Ubuntu) but not on my desktop (which has XP). Which would make compiling kind of a pain in the butt.

sargebaldy said:

I've been thinking about holding another session, but it's kind of difficult right now. I'm leeching internet so I can get online on my laptop (which has Ubuntu) but not on my desktop (which has XP). Which would make compiling kind of a pain in the butt.

DB1 and XWE work through Wine, you can even coax SLumpEd to work too. I compiled the dwspd021 wad (and the rest of my maps) completely with Ubuntu.