Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

zDoom 2.40 musings

I'd just like to relate that zDoom's support for Xbox 360 Controllers in the latest version absolutely kicks ass. Right when I enabled the gamepad it remapped my controls and it recognizes every button on the thing.

Was quite a blast playing through Chex Quest 3 with it.

Yes, of course, playing DOOM with any controller besides keyboard/mouse is only a novelty, but in this case it is a very FUN novelty and those with wired XB360 controllers should try it.

However, I have to ask one question:

Does anyone besides me believe that the arrow on the zDOOM automap seems to face backwards at anything but the closest zoom level?

I'd get a screenshot to demonstrate the point, but my time on this computer is limited.

Is it just me, or does ZDoom 2.4.0 run slightly more sluggishly than earlier versions. Has anyone else noticed this?

Not to be critical, just curious.

I've actually found it runs better. For instance I can play map 7 in claustrophobia 1024, used to run real slow with zdoom 2.3.1, and I can play map 28 in WOS without significant slowdown.

I had to manually add these lines here:
dpadup=slot 1
dpaddown=slot 2
dpadleft=slot 3
dpadright=slot 4
lshoulder=slot 5
rshoulder=slot 6
pad_y=slot 7

Now I can go to nearly any weapon with a button press, rather than cycling through them all.

This is what kills me about XBLA doom, there are so many buttons on a 360 controller, but they did a piss poor job of setting things up, least they could have done was give us options.

When I go to my save game list, I can only press A to rename it, but can't actually confirm saving the game.

I have my XBox controllers wired for use with my PC and they should be fine for ZDoom. I don't really mind cycling through weapons because console FPS's forced me to cycle through weapons.

Rohit_N said:

When I go to my save game list, I can only press A to rename it, but can't actually confirm saving the game.

Try the just released ZDoom 2.4.1 or GZDoom 1.4.2. I think this issue has been addressed recently.