Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phi108

XWE error after System Restore

Recently, I had a virus, but a system restore fixed it. Everything seems to be working well, and there are no more suspicious processes running.

But it seemed to mess up XWE, or it's registry settings. I guess restoring the registry back a couple of weeks screwed it up. I can open wads fine, and browse the lumps, but when I exit, the XWE window closes, but a little window pops up, saying "File acess denied". I don't think it's trying to save anything, because I haven't modified any lumps.

Setting NOREGISTRY=1 in xwe.ini fixes it, but then the window size for xwe doesn't save between uses, it's always the same small size. I might be able to work with it that way, though.

I have tried deleting XWE and re-installing the program (it's just copying the files, right? No installation procedure needed?), but the same little window pops up.

Should I go through the registry and delete or change XWE settings? Is there an "XWE uninstaller" that gets rid of all XWE stuff?

Thanks for any help.

phi108 said:
But it seemed to mess up XWE, or it's registry settings. I guess restoring the registry back a couple of weeks screwed it up. I can open wads fine, and browse the lumps, but when I exit, the XWE window closes, but a little window pops up, saying "File acess denied". I don't think it's trying to save anything, because I haven't modified any lumps.

Maybe it is trying to save something. Is Automatically create a backup file when a WAD file is opened checked in Options? If so, uncheck it. When that is checked, XWE will always rebuild a WAD. It's a pretty bad feature that should always be turned off. I need to make a sticky about this and the other known issues...

No good. No options have any effect of the error.

It was working perfecty before the restore, and I think I restored windows a year or so ago with no XWE problems.

I think what I need is a set of steps to totally wipe XWE from the registry, maybe. There is no uninstaller for XWE, though, which is annoying. I can totally delete the folder, and redownload it and a new .ini, but the problem persists.

After deleting the XWE folder - do a registry search for Csabo (with XWE as a daughter folder) and delete every one you find. Re-install XWE and hopefully the problem will be gone.

Darn, that didn't fix it. After deleting the XWE folder and Csabo from the registry, and reinstalling, the same problem exists.

But now it is slightly different. I did another system restore, and now, when NOREGISTRY=0, i get two errors at startup:

Failed to set data for "

and then,

List index out of bounds (0)

And then the XWE window opens. When I try to open a wad through the drop-down menu, I get "List index out of bounds (3)".
Then when I quit, I get the same old "File Acess Denied" window, that doesn't really pose a problem, other than being a bother...

It works best when NOREGISTRY=1, but it still gives me the "File Acess Denied" window. And it keeps the annoying settings, like "reopen last file on startup" and "Auto play sounds", always turned on, as well as resetting the program's window size at every startup.

I'm running as the administrator, but I recently turned on User Account Control, though I'm not sure if that coincides with the XWE problems.

I'll switch it off and see...

I cleared out all xwe stuff from windows/temp, 1.2 GB worth of crap.

But all problems are still there. I unmarked that folder as read only, with no effect. I can't get XWE to change the location of it's temp folder, either.

Rant mode: Now WHY THE HECK DOES XWE BOTHER WITH REGISTRY SETTINGS AND PUTTING TONS OF CRAP INTO THE WINDOWS FOLDER? This is really my favorite lump editor, so I don't want to give up on it, but I wish it was a much simpler program. Couldn't it just be stripped down to an .exe and a settings file? That would be a much better XWE.

LATER EDIT: Rant mode over.
Checking the "Run as administrator" box on the xwe exe fixed the problem. I thought that because my user accout WAS the administrator account, that meant XWE was running in administrator mode. Wrong, doh.